Author Topic: Mansfield Missing Road  (Read 6082 times)

Offline MansfieldResearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mansfield Missing Road
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 July 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm intrigued to know if you had family living in Belmont Terrace as my Elizabeth Slaney died there in 1898.
Thanks.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 July 15 00:22 BST (UK) »
Try here... A great website - all images of Mansfield and surrounding areas. I did a search, but only found one reference to Belmont Terrace though, in conjunction with Clumber street - demolition I think, but you may pick something else up in a search.

I too have family from early Mansfield.  PAULSON, Dunnill and SYKES,  actually heading there next month to see some art work of a relative at the Museum.  And also looking for old addresses! 

Anyway some great shots on the website

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCW001931&pos=1&action=zoom&id=50907

Jeanne

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 July 15 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeanne,
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  I will check out the website.  I have been to Mansfield today (I live 2 hours away) and was looking for old addresses too.  Where are you coming from?  Do you have any connection to Ann Paulson from Mansfield who was a Victorian Lady Artist?
Thanks again,
Sharon

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 July 15 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon, I'm in NZ,  and Yes, Ann Paulson is my relative, by marriage,  and it is her work I am going to see at the Museum!  They are kind enough to be making them available to me to view.  And there's one hanging in the Police Station too I believe!

Ann (Dawn) Paulson's husband, John Paulson, is my 2nd great grand uncle, the son of my 3rd great grandparents, George PAULSON and Rachel Sykes.  His sister Catherine was my 2x great grandmother.

Yes, and I have the The Victorian Lady Artist book, if you have it, you will see that my great grandmother Jane Dunnill, "at the great distress of her family, ran away from home to marry Henry Mathews"! 

Let me introduce you to HENRY, he's that good looking guy on my profile photo!

Dare I ask hopefully, do you have a connection as well??

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 July 15 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeanne,
Sadly I am not related to Ann Paulson, but my distant cousin wrote the book that you mentioned and he also kindly gave me a copy.  It is a long time ago since I read it and so can't remember all of the details of Ann's life.  I hope that you enjoy your visit to Mansfield.  Unfortunately some of it's streets would benefit from a considerable amount of cash injection, but that can be said for many towns in England now.  I did visit the very modern library but only to view family history books that are on the shelves.  I wish now that I had booked a reader so that I could trawl through some old newspapers.  We are having quite warm weather in England at the moment and I hope that it continues for your visit.  Where else are you visiting when you are in England?
Best regards, Sharon

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 July 15 09:22 BST (UK) »
Ow wow! Your cousin did a great Job on the book! Imagine buying a book about an artist, and getting the added bonus of lots of detail about her own and her husband's families, as well as the Lady herself!  What a woman she was too! And I think I have the answer to why the marriage of my great grandmother was not approved of by her family!

When I emailed the curator of the Museum to see if the book was still available, I outlined my connection to her.  Ordered the book, and when it arrived, was such a surprise how much more I got out of it!  When I emailed her after I received the book, she wrote back that she knew I would love it!
I do have a number of images of her paintings, but have also got 3 or 4 on here also, a month or so ago on the photo restoration board, having frames tidied up, and some reflections removed!  The restorers of course did a marvellous job!

Arrive London, then Ayrshire, Dublin, Mansfield, Westbury, back to London, then home! I'll be in UK for most of July.

Really looking toward to seeing the paintings, and other families connected to me!  This will be my 3rd trip following my families lives!  It's very rewarding, but I'm going to have to take in washing and go out scrubbing floors when I get back!!  😱😱

Yes, I've seen on the news about your heatwave?  My first visit was in 2003 - another big heat wave in UK and Europe.  Then again in 2013, but a wonderful summer month in August!  Only 1/2 hr rain in London, and 1/2 hr rain in Edinburgh at the Tattoo! I'm got lucky I'm told! 

Jeanne 😄

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections