Author Topic: Jonathon GREETHAM & Ann Jane HALL 1800's Cape Town  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Jonathon GREETHAM & Ann Jane HALL 1800's Cape Town
« on: Tuesday 21 April 09 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hello List,

I am having a real problem trying to locate Jonathon GREETHAM b 1831 Scarborough, Yorkshire, UK and his wife Agnes ( b abt  1827, Edinburgh Scotland) and daughter, Sarah Matilda GREETHAM b 1862 Stoney Creek Queensland ) who arrived in New Zealand on the " Warwick" February 1873 along with Sarah HALL aged 43, Elizabeth HALL aged 16 and Ann Jane HALL aged 17.

Ann Jane HALL married in NZ 1875 to John QUARRIE and named a son, John GREETHAM QUARRIE. Ann Jane stated on the birth cert for her daughter Daisy, that she came from Cape Town.

My real interest is in Ann Jane HALL b abt 1855/56 but because I found the passenger record showing the GREETHAM's arrived on the same ship and Ann named a son Greetham, I have assumed they knew each other somehow.

I cannot find Jonathon GREETHAM in the UK 1841 census so have assumed he left England sometime before that - I did find him in 1871 back in Scarborough Yorkshire with wife and daughter. His parents were John GREETHAM and Sarah ( maybe BURGESS) or possibly Mary nee ??

I am hoping someone may be able to help locate a record for either of these families as I am trying to help my cousin in NZ find out more about his Great Grandmother, Ann Jane QUARRIE nee HALL

many thanks

Jocelyn

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathon GREETHAM & Ann Jane HALL 1800's Cape Town
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 18:04 BST (UK) »
His marriage is shown in 1860 in NSW, Australia:
Jonathan Greetham m. Agnes Lilly, Windsor district, in 1860.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 01:13 BST (UK) »
hello - thanks for that - I located that marriage last night and then this morning, I received an email from my cousin who made contact with someone I had put him in touch with - and now we have the  full name of Ann Jane...it is Ann Jane DIANE  HALL daughter of John and Sarah HALL b South Africa ( probably Cape Town) about 1855/1856. This now makes the shipping record fit - Sarah HALL aged 43 arrived New Zealand Feb 1873 with 2 daughters, Ann Jane Diane HALL aged 17 and Elizabeth HALL aged 16.

There is a marriage for a John HALL & Sarah MURRAY, 1854 in Cape Town ( just found it on IGI!) and so now I wonder if there is any way of establishing the children they had or vice versa, who the parents were for Ann Jane Diane HALL and her sister Elizabeth

many thanks again for your help

Jocelyn

Offline dianascaife

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 09 03:07 BST (UK) »
This is a message to Kiwi007.  I am the Grandson of Diana Evelyn Scaife who is the daughter of John Andrew Hanson Scaife and Mabel Scaife. We found your post where you mentioned John Andrew Hanson, and would like to get into contact with you or any remaining family or friends of the Scaife's. My Grandmother's Cousin Joan Martin whose husbands name is Ted was her last family contact, my Grandmother is the sole remaining Scaife in our country (The Bahamas).  The Martin's last known address, as far as My Grandmother knows, was Western Zoyland, near Taunton.

The only member of her fathers family that my Grandmother ever met was her Aunt Susan, who visited the family in Nassau, Bahamas when My Grandmother was a small child. Also there was correspondence passed between her Uncle Christopher Scaife years ago and my Grandmother. Christopher at the time was retired and living in Italy.

Diana has in her possession a group photograph of her Father John, Uncle Christopher, Aunt Joan, and Aunt Gillian
She also has a Photo of someone name Isobel Scaife, who she believes is her half sister.

My Grandmother is eagerly awaiting your response.  (Or a response from any other Scaife's/descendants)

Regards,
Michael

Offline dianascaife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 00:51 BST (UK) »
As I am uncertain weather or not you will see this message, I am posting this second message (and later a third) in order to achieve the three posts required to PM.

Offline dianascaife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 00:51 BST (UK) »
I apologize to any Mods i may offend by posting this last time.

regards,
Michael

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 23:51 BST (UK) »

This is a message to Kiwi007.  I am the Grandson of Diana Evelyn Scaife who is the daughter of John Andrew Hanson Scaife and Mabel Scaife. We found your post where you mentioned John Andrew Hanson, and would like to get into contact with you or any remaining family or friends of the Scaife's. My Grandmother's Cousin Joan Martin whose husbands name is Ted was her last family contact, my Grandmother is the sole remaining Scaife in our country (The Bahamas).  The Martin's last known address, as far as My Grandmother knows, was Western Zoyland, near Taunton.

The only member of her fathers family that my Grandmother ever met was her Aunt Susan, who visited the family in Nassau, Bahamas when My Grandmother was a small child. Also there was correspondence passed between her Uncle Christopher Scaife years ago and my Grandmother. Christopher at the time was retired and living in Italy.

Diana has in her possession a group photograph of her Father John, Uncle Christopher, Aunt Joan, and Aunt Gillian
She also has a Photo of someone name Isobel Scaife, who she believes is her half sister.

My Grandmother is eagerly awaiting your response.  (Or a response from any other Scaife's/descendants)

Regards,
Michael

Offline Kisembi52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 January 20 15:52 GMT (UK) »
 I am the grand-daughter of Hilda Joan Scaife, elder sister to Msrtyn Peregrine Scaife. O would appreciate any contact details you have for Michael Edward Scaife.

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 January 20 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Click on the user name ' dianascaife'..that is Michael, I believe. You might be able to send him a personal message..check on his 'profile'