Author Topic: SA BDM"COMPLETED"  (Read 6143 times)

Offline sue21757

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SA BDM"COMPLETED"
« on: Tuesday 21 April 09 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have just found an autograph book in a box at my Mum and Dad's.
It belonged to my GGrandmother.It has some beautiful drawings in it and i was wondering if i could find out some information on the people in it.They all seem to have come from the area Forestville,SA.
It was done in 1910 on the occasion of the family leaving Australia to go to England.

Dorothy Wilson
M E Wilson
Hilda E Wilson
Marion E Wilson (Different writhing to the top one)
Helen Wison
Florrie Schlank
Olive Schlank
Racey Schlank
Rose A Gratton
Lilian Cruickshank

Thanks for your help.

Regards Sue

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: SA BDM
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Looks like the Wilsons are all one family. ME is perhaps mother

WILSON Dorothy Douglas Eulalie 7 Oct 1889 Palmerston NT Dist Pal 455 195 Parents Herbert Douglas WILSON and Matulina Elizabeth BRAZILL

WILSON Hilda Estelle 13 Nov 1893 Norwood Dist Nor 533 121 Parents Herbert Douglas WILSON and Matutina Elizabeth BRAZILL

WILSON Marion Elaine 25 Oct 1896 St Peters Dist Nor 593 309 Parents Herbert Douglas WILSON and Matutina Elizabeth BRAZILL

WILSON Helen Mary Douglissa 26 May 1888Norwood Dist Nor 417 420 Parents Herbert Douglas WILSON and Matutina Elizabeth BRAZILL

WILSON Herbert Douglas 25 Single Father Francis = BRAZILL Matutina Elizabeth 21 Single Father James 31 July 1888 Rapid Creek Palmerston Dist Pal 157 1245

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue21757

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris

Thanks for that .I think you are right the M E signature looks to be of an older hand.Helen has painted a lovely bush scene, and Marion painted some spider orchids.They look brilliant for a child of 14.

Cheers Sue

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 12:09 BST (UK) »
There are several children born to Salis SCHLANK and Laura BEAVER including

SCHLANK Olive Marjory 27 Jan 1892 Adelaide Dist Ade 494 474
SCHLANK Rachel Rebecca 22 Feb 1872 Adelaide Dist Ade 105 279

Probably Florrie

SCHLANKE Florence 6 Jan 1875 Adelaide Dist Ade 146 4 parents Silas SCHLANKE
and Laura BEAVER

No marriage in SA

Cheers Kris  :)

It sounds lovely Sue

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 12:29 BST (UK) »
The other two do not seem as straight forward

CRUICKSHANK Lilian Alice 2 Aug 1868 Lefevre Peninsula Dist Ade 66 150 Parents Thomas Cruickshank and Ellen Seaborn Bell

I don't see a marriage for her so maybe.  :-\

I don't see a Rose A Gratton either as a birth or as the mother in any births
There is a Rose Olive GRATTON 44 father Enoch who married in 1913 Kensington (Res Rev E Gratton)

I do not see a birth nor any births to Enoch.

Cheers Kris  :)

Offline sue21757

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris

Sorry about that just had to pop out for a while.

Thanks for that.Some of them seem to be around the age of my Great Aunt.Who ended up a designer for Poole pottery for some years.Then others seem to be around the age of my G Grandmother.So i think the book belonged to my GGrandmother.It is a shame that not one of the pictures has who it is to.
The pictures are lovely.I think that Racey Schlank would be Rachel.

Thanks once again for the info.
Cheers Sue

Offline simon.rowell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SA BDM"COMPLETED"
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

My name is Simon Rowell and i am related to some of the people listed, namely:
Florrie Schlank
Olive Schlank
Racey Schlank

They are all Great, Great Aunties to me.

The girls were daughters of prominent Adelaide Jeweller Salis Schlank and his wife Laura (nee Beaver). Salis and Laura had 10 children.
Salis was born 7/5/1840 in Chodriesen, Posen, Prussia, and died on 28/6/1892 (Adelaide). Laura was born on the 17th of September, 1851, and died on the 18/12/1918. Both were prominent members of Adelaide's Jewish community. They are buried together in the Jewish section of West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide.
The firm S Schlank & Co began when Salis Schlank acquired the business of P Falk & Co in 1887, which itself had started in 1871  Laura took over on Salis’ death in 1892, followed later by son Michael.

Florence Schlank was born in 1885 and died on 22/7/1940.

Olive Schlank was born 27/1/92 and died on the 18/6/1918.  Both Florence and Olive are buried the Jewish section of West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide.

Racey Schlank was indeed Rachel Schlank - Racey was the name she was known to all by, both personally and professionally.  She was born in 1872 and died on 14/4/1931. uring the last years of WW1 she also wrote under the name Racey Beaver (Mother's maiden name) as the German sounding name Schlank was hard to sell books under.

She was a poet and author, having written 2 books of poetry and a cook book. She was also a prominent founding member of the Women's Branch of the Liberal Union and has been credited with conceiving the idea of Wattle Day. Racey was also a songwriter, writing songs for children. My Grandmother (Racey's Niece) remembers that she had one leg, but could not remember how she lost her leg.

One of her books can be downloaded here:
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/auspoetry/inter/948387.shtml

Another of the Schlank girls, Hilda, was also a well known artist in early South Australia.

If you would like any more info, let me know...

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

If you have a scan of Schlank contribution to the autograph book, it would be truly appreciated at this end.

All the best
Simon

Offline Trace111

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 January 10 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon, et al

I'd like to know more about the Schlanks if you have any further information. I have quite a bit of information to exchange myself.

Racey Schlank was the first secretary of the Wattle League and had her foot amputated as the result of a foot disease.

My mother nee Maxine Olive Schlank, used to work in the jewelry shop when she was young. My cousin was Lorna Schlank who was also a prominent artist in Adelaide.

Cheers, Trace

Offline simon.rowell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 January 10 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trace

Great to hear from you.

I do have a fair bit of information on the Schlanks, and even more on the Beavers.

I can shoot you through what i have via email - i have a family tree going back to my great, great, great Schlank grandparents and a few more generations of Beavers.  I have some photos from Graves at West Tce and a nice image of Michael Schank (son of Salis and Laura) and family at the family home in Adelaide.  I have a number of newspaper articles, etc. I also found an image of Louis Beaver from a book in England.

I have a number of books (including a Racey original) as well.

Whare are you based? I am in Melbourne.

Who are Maxine's parents?

I have found that RootsWeb RootsChat remove electronic mail addresses from these messages, so i would suggest that you search for Oxygene Branding & Communications and go to the people page - there is a link there to my electronic mail address for correspondence.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Simon