Author Topic: Lochmaben Headstone Lookup  (Read 27418 times)

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lochmaben Headstone Lookup
« on: Wednesday 22 April 09 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
If anyone is going to Dumfries Library, could they spare the time to look for a memorial inscription for Janet [Maxwell] Richardson of Hitae died 1857 registered in GRO record as Janet Maxwell and buried in Lochmaben Cemetery? She was widowed before the 1841 Census, and her husband was a John Richardson  of Hitae. ... either a John Richardson .... born in 1773 in Lochmaben to William Richardson and Jean Rae or John's cousin, another John Richardson, born Hitae in the 1780s to James Richardson and Jean Mundall.
The marriage of John Richardson and Janet Maxwell took place in Lochmaben Parish in 1803.
John Richardson b. 1773 is the prime 'suspect' as his and Janet Maxwell's 1st born son was a William in 1806.
This couple are my Great x 3 Grandparents.

Thanks to any willing searcher who can trace either, or both, memorial inscriptions of John Richardson and Janet Maxwell.

Aye,
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lochmaben Headstone Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 April 09 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi DDJJake,

I would have gladly offered to go to the old lochmaben cemetery, located behind the High Street and within the Town of Lochmaben itself, as opposed to the "new" cemetry which is located next to the golf course about 1 mile out side of Town - but, I now live in Wiltshire.

Hopefully one of our Dumfries based rootschatters can assist?

There may well be something at the Ewart re. the inscriptions or even locally in the Lockerbie Library, which also holds inscription records.

Good luck,

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 April 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your encouragement Kojak.

I live in retirement in Cyprus and now find it more and more difficult to make the journey back to the old country; so any local help would be very, very welcome.
Aye,
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
McMillan in Argyll

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 April 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a copy of the Lochmaben Old Churchyard Memorial Inscriptions, there are lots of Richardsons at Hightae. In the Old Parochial Deaths there is a Jean Richardson dau of John/Janet Maxwell of Hightae died Oct 4 1817. it doesnt give her age though. There are 4 John Richardsons deaths from Hightae between 1767 - 1809

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 April 09 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help akc.

I have the Jean death in 1817 .... but for the John in question, I know he was still alive up to at least October/November 1821, because a second Jean was born to he and his wife Janet Maxwell in June, 1921 in Hightae.
If he lies in Lochmaben Old, he may be under the name of Janet Maxwell as her husband, John Richardson, born 1773.
John was a 'Heckler' to trade ... which may be a clue to his whereabouts if there was a Flax Mill near Hightae at the beginning of the 19th Century.

For the period 1767-1809, one of the John Richardson's might be my GGGGG Grandfather who was married to Janet Wright c. 1749. They had their last child in 1773.

I am also seeking death/burial of my GGGG Grandfather William Richardson b. 1752 and married to Jean Rae, 2nd February, 1772 .... after their last child, William was born in 1789.

Best wishes,
DDJJAKE

Aye
DDJJAKE
Rennie in Winnipeg
McMillan in Argyll

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 April 09 22:53 BST (UK) »
There,s a William Richardson weaver ( called woollam ) died at Hightae Nov 13 1800. There is a  Janet Wrights( Richardson )  a widow of John died at  Heck April 23 1803.
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 April 09 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I,ve just found a Margaret Rae wife of William Richardson died at Hightae August 13 1813 ( could Jean have been known by another name ). I havent found any Janet Maxwell yet except the baillie,s wife. There is 1 Jean Rae died at Smallholm 20 Apr 1818, no spouse mentioned.

akc

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 09 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hello again akc ...

These two look strong candidates ... thanks ...
There's a William Richardson weaver ( called woollam ) died at Hightae Nov 13 1800. There is a  Janet Wrights( Richardson )  a widow of John died at  Heck April 23 1803.

There may be more details on the headstones ?

Best to you,
DDJJAKE
Rennie in Winnipeg
McMillan in Argyll

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 April 09 07:32 BST (UK) »
Good morning! there are 41 references to Richardson,s in my book and it looks like a lot of them have married people with the name of Wright, and they all appear to originate from Hightae. I will try to narrow it down a bit.
In memory of john Richardson son of John Richardson, portioner in Hightae who died 16 January 1849 aged 13 months.
In memory of Elspa Wright spouse of John Richardson who died at Hightae 13 march 1778 aged 40 ( more writing on this one )

William Richardson in Hietae died 19 June 180 aged 64

Mary Richardson spouse to David Wright in Hietae died 1st July 1830 aged 68 ( more writing on this one )

Here lies John Richardson also Elizabeth Wright spouse to foresaid John Richardson died 10 Jan 1794 88yrs ( more on this one )

In memory of William Richardson who died at Hietae 18 July 1846 age 62 yrs ( a lot more on this one )

Hope you find one among these that rings a bell and they dont get you more confused

akc

In Memory of William