Author Topic: Lochmaben Headstone Lookup  (Read 27416 times)

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lochmaben Headstone Lookup
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 05 April 12 07:27 BST (UK) »
Wow ...
John Grierson  married Janet Lockerbie  1804 in Lochmaben.  He was the son of William Grierson.She the daughter of James Lockerbie and Grace Bell. The 1851 census shows members of the family living in Hightae .  I thought they might be in the Lochmaben cemetery.

The Grierson name shows a variety of spellings ..Grirson , Grearson, Greerson so Grier would be possible. The same applies to Lockerbie , Lockerby etc.

So ... all possibilities are worthy of a look.
Thanks so much
Dorothy

Blunden, Wilkins, Holden , Barker, Cox, Kitchen, Black, Turner, Dixon (England) Grierson, Ferguson, Campbell, Jardine, Black (Scotland

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 05 April 12 08:11 BST (UK) »
In the OPR: Grizel ( Bell ) wife of James Lockerbie Hightae d Feb 15 1817
Janet Lockerbie Hightae d Apr 2 1797
Margaret Lockerbie widow of David Venture bur Dryfesdale Hightae  d May 2 1816
Grace Grier daughter of Mathew Hightae d  Oct 23 1818
Mary Wilson widow of John Grier Hightae  d July 13 1813
Thomas Grier married Hightae d Oct 12 1815

also some references to " Grieve " families in Hightae

In Lochmaben Old Churchyard MI,s: No 311: In memory of Grace Bell, spouse to James Lockerby in Hietae who departed this life 22nd february 1817 in the 85th year of her age.

No 344: In memory of William Grierson who died at Hietae 20th May 1848 aged 4 years and 2 months. Also John Grierson who died 22 May 1848 aged 9 months children of John Grierson mason in Hietae. Post 1855 inscriptions

Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 05 April 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
The DGFHS booklets are not expensive.   See http://www.dgfhs.org.uk/publications.asp
The Lochmaben MIs are 2.5 UK pounds and the OPR  less at just 2.0 UK pounds.
There is postage to add of course but at 75gm and 60gm it won't break the bank.
Royal Mail are about to whack up their prices at the end of the month so I suggest buying sooner rather than later.
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline crackpot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 05 April 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
Johnner Kid

Thanks so much for the info and the photo .
PM to follow

Crackpot
Male --Cheshire
Thorburn--Cheshire, Liverpool, Plymoutrh devon, Cheltenham
Tailyour--Scotland, Devon

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 09:17 BST (UK) »

Would it be possible to check for a headstone for a Isabella MAIN/MEIN (Forsyth) died 1867 Lochmaben.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: Lochmaben Headstone Lookup COMPLETED
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:35 BST (UK) »

Would it be possible to check for a headstone for a Isabella MAIN/MEIN (Forsyth) died 1867 Lochmaben.

cupcake

Found her. Thanks. COMPLETED.
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline Fidelio

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 15 April 23 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hello. I have been looking for my ancestors origins for many years now. I am 85 and still havent got definitive answers. Family lore ( dangerous ha ha) says that we originated in  Dumfrieshire. My difinitive ancestor is a John Richardson born in 1804 to a William & Mary Richardson and notified in the chapel at Lower Mitton Worcestershire. Now that area was booming at this time. Iron ore had been found and there were also the joining of canals to link with liverpool The baldwins had an Iron moulding business there as later around 1814 Hardy and Padmore from Edinburgh did. I noticed on this site that A John Richardson of Hightae was a blacksmith and I think he married an Elizabeth. The william Richardson that I am following was I believe their son. ( see attached record). I also think that following in his fathers footsteps he went tothe blackmiths at Gretna  where he married Mary Birney ( See attachment) and that together they trekked to where the work was in Worcester. A lot of conjecture but one never knows what snippets of information will emerge. Happy hunting to everyone.