Author Topic: Lochmaben Headstone Lookup  (Read 27592 times)

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lochmaben Headstone Lookup
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 April 09 09:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks again akc ..

Here is my direct line down to my GG G-F John Maxwell Richardson (Portioner)...
I also have the lines down to the present day for this line from William (b.1752) and for John (b. 1754)  ... it is finding the early deaths that are the problem. Wills and testaments helped a lot later on as these Richardsons were portioners and thus leased land which showed as payments due on the wills.

First Generation
1.   John RICHARDSON  was born in 1724 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland.
John married Janet WRIGHT  about 1749 in Lochmaben Dumfries Scotland. Janet was born in 1728 in Lochmaben Dumfries  Scotland.
They had the following children:
   2   M   i.   James RICHARDSON  was born on 1 Nov 1750 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland.
+   3   M   ii.   William RICHARDSON  was born on 19 Feb 1752.
+   4   M   iii.   John RICHARDSON [Farmer]  was born on 1 Dec 1754. He died on 27 Aug 1823.
   5   M   iv.   Thomas RICHARDSON  was born on 1 Feb 1756 in Lochmaben Dumfries  Scotland.
   6   M   v.   Nathaniel RICHARDSON  was born on 1 Mar 1759 in Lochmaben Dumfries  Scotland. He died on 18 Dec 1807 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland.
   7   M   vi.   Robert RICHARDSON  was born on 1 Sep 1761 in Lochmaben Dumfries  Scotland. He died on 11 May 1848 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland.
   8   M   vii.   George RICHARDSON  was born on 1 Jan 1764 in Lochmaben Dumfries  Scotland.
   9   F   viii.   Elisabeth RICHARDSON  was born on 31 Jul 1767 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland.
   10   F   ix.   Janet RICHARDSON  was born on 14 Feb 1773 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland. She died on 24 Jan 1800 in Hightae, Dumfries, Scotland.
Second Generation
   3.   William RICHARDSON  (John) was born on 19 Feb 1752 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland.
William married Jean RAE  daughter of John RAE on 2 Feb 1772 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland. Jean was born in 1756 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland.
William and Jean had the following children:
+   11   M   i.   John RICHARDSON [Heckler]  was born on 24 Jan 1773. He died before 1851.
+   12   F   ii.   Janet RICHARDSON  was christened on 4 Mar 1776. She died on 11 Dec 1863.
   13   M   iii.   Matthew RICHARDSON  was born on 11 Feb 1778 in Hightae, Lochmaben, Dumfries.
+   14   M   iv.   William RICHARDSON [Pig Dealer]  was born on 4 Dec 1789. He died before 1851.
Third Generation

11.   John RICHARDSON [Heckler]  (William, John) was born on 24 Jan 1773 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland. He died before 1851 in Hightae, Lochmaben, Scotland.
John married Janet MAXWELL  daughter of John MAXWELL [Proprietor] and Janet REID on 9 Sep 1803 in Lochmaben Dumfries  Scotland. Janet was born in 1781 in Hightae, Lochmaben, Scotland. She died on 28 Jan 1857 in Hightae, Lochmaben, Scotland.
They had the following children:
   19   F   i.   Jean RICHARDSON  was born on 7 Sep 1804 in Lochmaben Dumfries  Scotland. She died on 4 Oct 1817 in Lochmaben Dumfries  Scotland.
   20   M   ii.   William RICHARDSON  was born on 10 Dec 1806 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland. He was christened on 30 Dec 1806 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland. He died before 1851.
   21   F   iii.   Janet RICHARDSON  was born on 11 Oct 1815 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland.
   22   M   iv.   John Maxwell RICHARDSON [Portioner-Joiner]  was born on 8 Jun 1818 in Lochmaben Dumfries Scotland. He was christened on 23 Jun 1818 in Lochmaben Dumfries Scotland. He died on 18 Jul 1883 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland.  The cause of death was Peritonitis.
John married Margaret MCMILLAN  daughter of John MCMILLAN [Crofter] and Ann or Hannah CAMERON on 24 Oct 1847 in Dryfesdale, Dumfries, Scotland. Margaret was born in 1818 in Kilmallie, Argyll  Scotland. She died on 17 May 1888 in Lochmaben Dumfries  Scotland.
   23   F   v.   Jean or Jane RICHARDSON  was born on 17 Jun 1821 in Hightae, Dumfries, Scotland. She died on 14 Sep 1898 in Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland.  The cause of death was Valvular Heart Disease Asthemia and Cardiac Failure.

Cheers,
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 April 09 20:43 BST (UK) »
Ahh, a you have sought out the sun have ye?

You must really miss the green green land...

As a Hightae boy myself (1974-1996 and 2001-2008), the village has long had a strong link to the surname Richardson.  There is a really good book by a local historian, Anne Fairn on the Royal Four Towns of which Hightae is the largest, and I am sure I have a copy here somewhere.

I will have a look and see if I can A) find the book and, if I can B) see if there is any mention made to your ancestors...

Kind regards,
Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 April 09 21:16 BST (UK) »
Slainte kojak,

Although I am very proud of my Fife ancestry through my Grandfather Henderson back to 1665 in Wemyss, I am equally proud of my Grandmother Kerr's ancestry to the Richardson Portioners of Hightae [Hitae]. My GG G-F John Maxwell Richardson's 'will' was very precise on who could inherit the lands ... and after his wife, Margaret Mcmillan, then their daughter, my G G-M Janet Richardson, then on her death in 1925 it fell to her eldest heir Jane Kerr, her daughter, who married a David Leslie of Annan in 1906 and lived in Butt Street there until her death in 1953.
I spent a week in Annan, three years ago finding cousins, and also travelling all over Lochmaben ... from the Carthat Farms (another blood related Richardson's Portions) to Hightae where I found my GG G-F's Joinery workshop and steading, and chatted with the present owner.
It was very exciting because until then I didn't know a thing about the future worldwide - Toronto, Winnipeg, Illinois, nor Scottish existences furth of Stirling, of Janet Richardson's 10 children born in Bannockburn [!] as Kerrs from 1880 to 1895, except my grannie Jessie Kerr b. 1886 and two of her sisters who happened to live in Stirling when I was a lad. But I have also been to visit my discovered 2nd Cousins in Canada .... fantastic experience.
Aye
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
McMillan in Argyll

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 April 09 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi akc,

I quote you William Richardson in Hietae died 19 June 180 aged 64

180 ? .... or was it unreadable ?

My William was born in 1752 !

Thanks
DDJJAKE
Rennie in Winnipeg
McMillan in Argyll

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 April 09 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again, sorry about that, it should read 19th June 1801 aged 64 yrs

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Heather H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 November 11 12:51 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if there are any Hendersons in the Lochmaben kirkyard?  I'm working on the family of Thomas Henderson (1779-1845), son of Francis Henderson & Mary Vivers.  Thomas Henderson was married to Agnes Barton.

Thanks!
Heather

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 November 11 15:26 GMT (UK) »
there are a total of 25 hendersons in the opr burial index for lochmaben, no thomas but there is a francis buried annan oct 16 1808 it gives his address as carthit
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 November 11 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

My ggg grandmother was Ann Henderson daughter of Francis Henderson and Mary Vivers, she married Robert Blyth and moved to Moffat,

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 November 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi akc.
Did you mean CARTHAT  rather than CARTHIT ? ......  as my Richardson cousins were in possession of both Carthat farms, south over the hill from Hightae, from the early 1800s. I visited these farms about four years ago .... but the Richardson portionerships probably had been sold off as there was no local knowledge of their former presence .... at least among the few people with whom I managed to converse.
Aye
DDJJAKE
Rennie in Winnipeg
McMillan in Argyll