Author Topic: Aberkenfig baptisms, where do I find them?  (Read 7098 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Aberkenfig baptisms, where do I find them?
« on: Wednesday 22 April 09 10:08 BST (UK) »
My great grandad Percy Price was born in Aberkenfig in 1889, to an unmarried mother. I'd love to see his baptism cert and that of his mother and her siblings - all in Aberkenfig and Cowbridge, but does anyone know if these are available online?  We're travelling down to Wales next month to look at the cemeteries and Im hoping I'll have enough time to go to the records office but I need to make sure Im at the right one, though!   ;D
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Aberkenfig baptisms, where do I find them?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 April 09 07:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am not aware of Aberkenfig and Cowbridge parish records being available online.

Looking at Bridgend library website

http://www.bridgend.gov.uk/web/groups/public/documents/services/001884.hcsp#P128_3571

they list a lot of resources but not specifically parish records for these areas.

Aberkenfig is in the parish of Newcastle. The website below explains the situation quite well

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Newcastle/

This link shows the potential churches and chapels your GGDad could have been baptised in

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Newcastle/Chapels.html

This link gives details of the parish Cowbridge is within
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/LlandoughJuxtaCowbridge/

My advice is to contact Glamorgan Record office

http://www.glamro.gov.uk/collections2.html

They have some Newcastle parish records and also Cowbridge but you will need to check to see how good the coverage is and whether Neath or Port Talbot libraries have any resources also. You can find out details of these libraries from a simple google search.

Have fun
Sue

Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 April 09 11:16 BST (UK) »
Sue, thanks  ;D    I think that must cover everything!  Will get to work now on those sites, feel a bit more confident about researching in Wales next month now!
PS, love the teddy bear.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Mags23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 April 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
Just so you are aware, Aberkenfig Church (St. Johns) is in the parish of Newcastle Higher, Newcastle Lower is part of Bridgend town.  There is another church on the outskirts of Aberkenfig which mainly covered the Sarn area which is Llansantffraid Church, which I think may be in a different parish.
Vaulter/Valter/Vauter/Vater - Somerset (Exmoor area)
Quartley, Berry, Bond, Feiven, Fevan, Pasmore, Pugsley, Pool

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 April 09 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mags.  Long shot, but as you seem to know the area, I dont suppose you know where Jenkins Row used to be? I've googled but cant find anything.  It was there in 1901.

Offline Mags23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 April 09 18:14 BST (UK) »
Sorry it doesn't ring any bells, can you give me the 1901 census reference, maybe I could work it out if I could see nearby street etc,  I'll also ask friends who know the area better than me.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Mags23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 April 09 17:12 BST (UK) »
OK, have viewed it, Jenkins Row is listed after Bridgend Road, which is the main road through the village, so I would presume that Jenkins Row must have run off that, (if I'm wrong presuming that, I hope someone will correct me). There is also a Brook Row nearby which I don't think is an Aberkenfig address now.  I will see some friends later who may know, so I'll get back to you later today/tomorrow.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 April 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much, hope you dont mind.  No hurry tho, just as and if you can.  x