Author Topic: completed mills family  (Read 52982 times)

Offline alisonjean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: completed mills family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 May 09 04:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenni,
            Lovely to hear from you. Where to start? My family has the 'Mills' family bible so I will quote directly from the register.
Alexander Mills born 1784 county Fermanagh north of Ireland
Son of the above
George John Mills born 17th Aug 1811 Jersey
John Mills born 2nd June 1815 Guernsey (died)
Sarah and Elizabeth Mills born 8th April 1817 Guernsey
Alexander Mills born 22nd June 1819 Guernsey
Mary Ann Mills born 9th Nov 1821 Guernsey
Maria born 2nd Feb 1824 Guerney
James born 16th June 1826 (died) 7th Feb 1830 Guernsey
William born 28th June 1828 (died) 22nd Feb 1830 Guernsey
Joseph born 23rd Dec 1830 (died) 22nd Oct 1837 Guernsey
Thomas born 28th Feb 1833 Guernsey (killed in Guernsey harbour on board his vessel)

George John Mills married Ann Frampton 29th May 1834 Parish of St Helier. They applied for free passage and sailed to South Australia in 1839, with their sons Edwin and Alfred. George was a brickmaker/farmer. they had 7 children in total and I descend from their daughter Maria Suzannah.

Previously, I have had contact with descendants from your Alexander and Emily Emma Webb. These are the details I received.
Alexander Mills born in 1784 married Mary Eustace (born 1792 St Peter Port Guersey) married about 1818 in Ireland. (not confirmed)
Emily Emma Webb born 1813 Guernsey  died 1901 Christchurch.
Emily's parents were Charles Webb and Maria Pyke (details not known)
Emily and Alexander had 10 children. Alexander's occupation tailor.
Some of the children were born in Timaru Canterbury New Zealand.
Of you James Edward Mills the tree states he was born 10th March 1841 in St Peter Port Guernsey died about 1919 (no further details)

I will try and re-contact previous researchers from your line, hopefully they haven't changed their e-mail address. Regards Alison.

Offline harley08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 May 09 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,

thank you for all the information you have shared with me. I have only been doing my family tree for a short time and now realise I knew nothing.

James Edward Mills (my 3x grandfather) married Clara Charlton (who is a complete mystery) in Christchurch 6 march 1864. Their son John Leonard married Elsie May Robbins in Sydney 19 March 1902. It is John and Elsie's daughter Alice who was my great-grandmother. The Mills side of the family has been a series of mysteries that no one seems to know much about.

A member of the family now resides in Guernsey and is going to track down what she can from over there.

Thank you once again

Jenni

Offline alisonjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 May 09 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenni,
             Just a quick reply, One of my contacts has e-mailed me and will follow-up. And correction of information sent. My Edwin Thomas did not sail with the family to South Australia as I stated, he died in 1836 in Jersey. Both he and his brother Alfred were born in Jersey. Alison.

Offline craigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was interested to see your post about Alexander Mills and family. Alexander and Emily are my ggg greatparents; their daughter also Emily was one of three Mills sisters who married three Suckling brothers in Christchurch. I posted a request some time back as I wanted to find out the date Emily my gg grandmother was born. I guess you've got Alexander's death certificate which confusingly records his place of birth as being Ireland. You may have seen the short biography of Alexander Mills in the G R McDonald register in Canterbury Museum which unfortunately doesn't include much information beyond the family losing all they owned in a big fire that ocurred not too long after they came to NZ. I have found this a difficult family to research because of the relatively common surname but am happy to send you what I've found out.
Regards,
Craig,
Christchurch, New Zealand.

Offline harley08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 August 09 02:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig,

It is great to hear from someone from the NZ side of the family. unfortunately I know very little about the family and what i have been told has turned out to be completely wrong. Any information you may have would be very welcome as my relative who lives in Guernsey has had trouble getting any information.

Jenni

Offline robinso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 March 10 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Alexander and Emily are also my GG grandparents. Their son Frederick Mills married Gertrude Foster in Christchurch in 1903 (my great grandparents). Frederick Mills died in 1918 and Gertrude in 1973. I have inherited portrait photos of Alexander and Emily. I have also inherited a wedding photo of Frederick and Gertrude that includes many of the Mills family members that have yet to be identified. I have also found some old photos of Frederick outside three different Boot/Shoe shops in Christchurch that he appeared to own or manage. I have found additional materials relating to Alexander Mills in the Canterbury musuem in Christchurch. I am intending to lodge additional copies of the photos at the museum next time I visit Christchurch

Regards.
Michael
Sydney, Australia     

Offline robinso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 March 10 08:59 GMT (UK) »
My Great grandfather was Frederick Valentine Mills son of Alexander Charles Mills and Emma Loader. The pictures attached are of Alexander Charles Mills and Emma Loader

Offline harley08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Michael

Thank you for posting the photos, my family have nothing for the Mills family, which is very sad, but finally I am able to put together the pieces thanks to everyone else.

Jenni

Offline jacmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenni and all Mills family researchers

I am excited to have found some information about the Mills family of Christchurch in New Zealand.

I am descendant from Edward James & Clara - and thier son John Leonard Mills in NSW Australia. I wold love to hear any further information that anyone has about this line. I really have very little information about the Mills family and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jac :D