Author Topic: St. Josephs Cemetery,The Rock, Ballyshannon.  (Read 43094 times)

Offline mc guinness 10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Josephs Cemetery,The Rock, Ballyshannon.
« Reply #36 on: Monday 11 January 10 16:14 GMT (UK) »
ill ask around the mcguinness clan would love to see that photo and ill try find the one of brother eunen ....are you sure he wasnt a JOHN OF GOD brother ?? take care helen

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 11 January 10 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

The photo I have is a black and white one . It was taken by my late Grandad of Granny, Br. Eunan & my aunt when they went  home to Ballyshannon for a wedding.  Br. Eunans' habit looks brown to me ,so I assumed that he was a franciscan friar.

The photo was taken in 1961.  Thanks Helen for asking around. I'm thrilled to have made the contact.  I will send you me email address and contact details by personal message (PM)

With kind regards,

Anita.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 11 January 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I also forget to mention that my Granny Elizabeth McGowan Married my Grandad  James Campbell at St. Josephs Church, the Rock, Ballyshannon in 1926. Grandad was a Garda Sergeant ,who was based in Ballyshannon the time. So this might ring a bell with the clan for you.

Offline remccallum2001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: malchie1 on Monday 11 May 09 22:23 UTC (UK)
hi summerhill i live in ballyshannon know the priest will try and find out as much as i can for you what month and date did they marry and did they continue to live in Ballyshannon will look up census for Balyyshannon. give me a couple of days and i will see what i can do

Hi, Summerhill, We found Michael James McCollum/McCallum baptised at Kilbarron Parish Nov. 5 1892.  No record of brother James who supposedly was born and died in the time frame of 1893-1895 and is supposed to be buried at St. Joseph ballyshannon.

You mention a census for Ballyshannon; I think our relatives lived at 9 college street row house (gone now) would like to confirm address.  Patrick McCollum and his wife Rose Dolan-McCallum.  Lived across street from Sheil house where he worked as butler.

You can reach me at (*)

McCallums

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline irishkungfu1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 02 April 11 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, Greetings from across the pond. My name is Craig Dougherty from Chelmsford, MA, USA. I have confirmed and have dates of my ancestors living and dying in Ballyshannon from at least 1840 to after 1908. How would I find my Great Great Grandparents Thomas Doherty and wife Sarah Rourke's grave with their children that did not come to America? They were Roman Catholics. I know from birth records that Thomas and Sarah had to die after 1872. Buried with them would be son Anthony who died 12 Mar 1865 at age three. A Thomas who was born 6 Apr 1864  died before 1901. A Michael who was born 20 Jan 1866 and died before 1901. I research a tremendous amount and work on over 100 tree helping people find their roots but this is for me. I plan on coming to Ballyshannon next year or so and would like to pay my repsects at my relatives grave and walk the paths that they did. I will pay for the time and effort put into the request. Thanks and cheers, Craig Dougherty

Moderator's Note: image removed due to terms & conditions of LDS website

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 22:01 BST (UK) »
Have you tried writing to the parish priests of st. Josephs Church Ballyshannon or Kilbarron Catholic Church Ballyshannon? They may be able to help you & if not perhaps they could point you in the direction of a local historian who could help.

best of luck with your research.

regards,
Summerhill

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 07 October 11 22:16 BST (UK) »
I am back on the research trail again now that the evenings are getting shorter.Could anyone please tell me names of some townlands on the Bundoran side of Ballyshannon? Given that my great grandparents married in Bundoran Star of the Sea church in 1899. This probably was my great grannys parish church so I figure she must have been from a townland that was on the Bundoran/Ballyshannon road.But nearer to Bundoran than ballyshannon.

Any help or replies will be greatly appreciated.

Offline emeraldmaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 27 May 12 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Summerhill, I'm new to RootsChat. My great great great grandparents were  William McGowan and Winifred Boyle from Ballyshannon. Winifred and her family of 6 adult children Patrick, William (my great great grandfather), Matthew, Anne, Margaret & Catherine moved to Glasgow around the mid 1850's. There may have been other children who were perhaps married and remained in Ballyshannon. I found them on the 1861 Scottish Cenus, with a Mary McGowan aged 50 (widow) living with them. However, William who was a fisherman was not with the family and I think he may have died in Ireland as I have been unable to find any death record for him in Scotland.  I have not been able to find out where in Ballyshannon they were from. Winifred Boyle's father Edward Boyle was a blacksmith and her mother was called Mary Tierney. I don't know how many McGowans would have been in Ballyshannon at that time but I wonder could there be any connection between your McGowans and mine?

Offline Annie Mcintyre

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • frontierville fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 28 October 13 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi im looking for help with finding a Patrick Mcgowan who marriedd a bridget daly  they married in bundoran 5 feb 1873 bur can`t find anything more on them they did move to Glasgow where son peter was born any help ould be great ty ;D