Author Topic: St. Josephs Cemetery,The Rock, Ballyshannon.  (Read 43095 times)

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Josephs Cemetery,The Rock, Ballyshannon.
« on: Thursday 23 April 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
He There,
Can any one tellme if there are any graveyard  transcriptions for the above cemetery. I know that it is in Magh Ene Parish and that Finner Graveyard in Bundoran its sister parish has been transcribed. I am trying to obtain burial records for my Great Grand parents James Mc Gowan and Brigid Mc Guinness from Westport Ballyshannon. They Married at St. Josephs  The Rock Church in 1899. I have written to the parish priest Oct.2008 and have never received any reply

I would appreciate any help in this regard

Summerhill.

Offline malchie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St. Josephs Cemetery,The Rock, Ballyshannon.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 09 23:23 BST (UK) »
hi summerhill i live in ballyshannon know the priest will try and find out as much as i can for you what month and date did they marry and did they continue to live in Ballyshannon will look up cenus for Balyyshannon. give me a couple of days and i will see what i can do

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Malachie,
Thanks for replying. My Grandmother Elizabeth MC Gowan was born on the 31st march 1905 at 13 Westport ,Ballyshannon. Her Fathers Name was JamesMc Gowan and Bridget Mc Gowan (Nee Mc Ginney/McGuinness) the entry in the bmd register is not very clear. James Was a plumber.

On the 7th April,1926 Elizabeth Married James Campbell in st.Josephs Church, The Rock,Ballyshannon. James was a Garda Sergeant in Ballyshannon.
Elizabeth's mother Bridget died around the time of her Holy communion, she would have been around 7or 8 yrs old.

What I am trying to find out if they are buried in St. Joseph sCemetery Bally shannon and also the Baptismal record for Bridget and for my ggrandfather James McGowan.  My husband & I hope tovisit Ballyshannon later this year and we would like to visit their grave & pay our respects.  I wrote to Fr. Mumster last october and I have not received a reply. I have never been to Ballyshannon, buthave seen it on the net

Offline malchie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 23:52 BST (UK) »
hi summerhill will check that out for you and will ask a few  i know who would know the family. Ihave ask already and when have all in hab=nd will let you know as I say give me a couple of days FRmunster isnt there any more he is in Bundoran it is FR F MC Manus that is there now but it should not be hard to check out i will check grave yard to morrow for you be in touch in few days

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million Malachie, that would be lovely. It would be lovely to find their grave including those of the Mc Ginney/McGuinness family too.  Ballyshannon looks a lovely town.  Unfortunately my grandmother died when I was ayear old.  So i only knew my  grandad but i did n't see him veryoften.  He died 25 years ago.

Offline malchie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 May 09 23:52 BST (UK) »
found Jamesw mc Gowans grave yesterday but only his name on it so am i finding out tomorrw if that is diffinatelys his grave sorry to day in bad stat  if it is his will send u pic of it . There are stacks of MC Guiness es still living in west port Ballyshannon so you coukld be related.Did James campbeel come from Ballyshannon? will fill u in later

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 May 09 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million again malachy you are very kind.  If it is Great Grandfather James MC Gowans Grave can you send me a picture? James campbell Came from Derry City.  He joined the Garda Siochana in 1923 and was stationed in Ballyshannon when he married granny Elizabeth .  They probably movedon from there shortly after.He was stationed in Monaghan, Athlone,Oulart,Co. wexford, Kilmore quay Co. Wexford and finally Wexford town.

Offline malchie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 May 09 00:33 BST (UK) »
great will have more info oom Momday evening the inscription on grave is no date or his wife is not mention so i am waitng to find out if that id his grave  but will let you know it funny  number 13 westport is still in habited by the  MC Guiness and they were plumbers some still are

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 May 09 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hiya Malachie.  Thanks for the reply.  Now I received James &Bridget Mc Gowans Marriage Cert. from Donegal Ancestry yesterday.
Date of Marriage; 29th June,1899.
Church: St. Marys  Catholic Church .Bundoran Co. Donegal.
Groom: James Mc Gowan , Full Age, Ballyshannon.Fathers Name: William Mc Gowan-Labourer.
Bride: Bridget mcGuinness Ballyshannon. Fathers Name: John Mc Guinness- Labourer.
Witnesses: William McGuinness, & Annie Ginn.
Priest: Rev.William Doherty C.C.

As you can see in that marriage cert she is Bridget McGuinness but in my Granny Elizabeths Birth Cert her maiden name is Mc Ginney.

Now I do know that a parish register would have contained more information regarding addresses.  As I still dont know where exactly in Ballyshannon Bridget came from so I am still in the dark.
Donegal ancestry also sent me the 1901 census and on that were  James &Bridget &their Daughter Mary kate Born 1900
They also sent me the 1911 census on that are:
James & Bridget, Granny Elizabeth (Aged 6).
Margaret (Maggie) aged 2.

Sadly Maggie died in 1912 and they had 2 sons named John born 1908 & 1910 who also died in infancy. Donegal ancestry confirmed this for me.  So my Granny was the only surviving child.  And as Bridget died around the time my granny made her communion.  You mentioned in your last post having found James Mc Gowans grave , but his is the only name on the headstone and it is in a bad state.  I think that Bridget & her infant children may have buried with her own people the Mc Guinnesses.  (THis happened with my Maternal Grandmother who is buried with her people in Ardcavan Cemetery wexford.
But her husband is buried in Castlebridge 5 miles away. The reason being the parish opened a new cemetery in castlebridge. My maternal grandmother died in 1932 while my grandfather died 30 years later in 1963 but by this time Ardcavan cemetery had fallen into dis use.) So probably by the time James died he had no family left but my granny who was living far awayand there are no living relations left to maintain it.  it is quite possible that it is his grave.