Author Topic: St. Josephs Cemetery,The Rock, Ballyshannon.  (Read 43096 times)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Josephs Cemetery,The Rock, Ballyshannon.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 June 09 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, My grandad was Eddie McGuinness (McGuiney) married Maggie Madden from Bundoran in 1905 ran off to glasgow then came back to Ireland in about 1910, move between townlands Carrickboy and Higginstown, Maggie was from townland Rathmore in Bundoran they were flax seed growers for the linen industry.  I think St. Josephs over the years has been trying to sort out the cemetery, I know my Gran and Grandad are buried there have you look on the Ballyshannon site McGuinness listed in the phone book - address:- www.geocities.com/johngall_99/oldphoto1C.html
owing to the fact a lot of people are trying to find out were they come from all around Ireland Father Munster and Co will not have time to sort every one out.  McGongle, McGowan, McGloin, Madden, Doherty and possible many more are my relatives. I was born in Ballyshannon in XXXX but never been back.

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove personal detail in accordance with RootsChat policy. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.

Note: link not working

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 June 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Have a look at http://genforum.genealogy.com/mcguinness/messages/194.thml
in 1911 Census my Gran and Co were McGuiney by the time the 1939/40 Census they were McGuinness I guess it depends if the powers that be can read your writing.  Or maybe it was easier for them all to be come McGuinness.
Looks like McGuinness lived at West Port.  If you are writing to the Church did you send enough funds to cover cost of printing and postage.  Have you written to the Garda. 

Note: link not working

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 June 09 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Rathmore,
Thanksfor your replies, Yes I did enclose a cheque for £25 when I wrote to Fr.Munster.  But I have never received a reply.  Idid ring the Garda in ballyshannon about it too.  But noluck as yet. It probably did go astray in the post. As you can see from my earlier posts I hope to visit BLLYSHANNON THIS SUMMER and would like to find my great grandparents grave to pay my respects.   But I will definately consult that census link you gave me.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 June 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, you might not be getting anywhere because you are looking for McGuinness, I sent photos of my family to the Ballyshannon site, the Ballyshannon site said they did not know my family, I have since worked out that other people are going to Ireland as my family.  I blame Ballyshannon and County Donegal and relatives who were involved in this for doing this to my family and for not telling my late mum Meg McGuinness (McGuinness was her maiden name) that other people are going to Ireland as us.  If I can help you in any way I will.  Meg and her brothers moved to the new houses that were built on St. Mary's Terrace, Ballyshannon in the late 1940's,  my sister and I were born in Ballyshannon.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 June 09 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi rathmore, I have sent you a personal message.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 June 09 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for your message, it has something do done with land that was left to a cousin McGuinness who aunt was a Kennan cannot remember the man she married a man who had money and land, and when she died sometime before 1980.  The land is in Ireland, when they could not find the right cousin someone came forward and claimed the land the people involved in this are going to Ireland as my family.  I am from Lancashire.  Noel Farrell writes books about ballyshannon and other counties.  Ballyshannon used to come under the Province of Ulster some record will be held under PRONI have a look at site www.moyvane.com photo under memories photo of men at a retreat men named as connell or oconnell I think they are McGuinness.  On the Ballyshannon site photo of McGuinness playing football, look under OLD PHOTOS.  I worked out who took the land then wrote to the land registry in Letterkenney the about 2week  later I had a phone call from Letterkenny I knew straight away it was not Letterkenney ringing me.  who every is involved took my letter.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 10:53 BST (UK) »

Me again, someone told mum long time before she died what ever was going on that they had all called a truce.  Well I am not  interested in the land I am interested in the people going to Ireland as my family.  I would not put you of going to Ballyshannon the McGuinness that still live round West Port might not be involved in this, it is sad that maybe other members of the family have been looking for relatives and cannot find their relatives because of what happen in the past.  On Gran and Grandad wedding certification Great Grandad is called William McGuinness mum used to say he was one of the first McGuinness in Ballyshannon.  If you did not get my message, if you send me your e-mail I will send you a copy of the 1939/40 Electors list for 1939/40  Owing to the fact I have been on most Irish sites all this information is not secret.  1939/40 Electors List Campbell Mary, Mary lived at West Port but with everything Irish you take with a pinch of salt.  The Electors list mention people who were in the house at the time the Electors came to take the names.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Rathmore,
Thanks for your replies.  I am sorry that I have not replied sooner but a neighbours son was drowned tragically at the weekend he was only 23 RIP , so with the funeral etc, it is only now that I have come on line.

I was so sorry to hear about your difficulties.  land is always a sore spot with some people.  I am married to a farmer... need I say more.

On my great grand parents marriage ( James McGowan & Bridget Mc Guinness) at st. Marys Church, Bundoran on 29th June, 1899, Bridgets father is listed as John Mc Guinness and her residence at time of marriage only states Ballyshannon. No street or townsland given only ballyshannon.

so maybe they lived on the Ballyshannon/Bundoran border.  I dont know.  So thats why I wrote to the priest to see if his church registers carried any further information. And it may not even be the right marriage certificate.  This is the one ireceived from Donegal Ancestry, in Ramelton, Co. Donegal.

I wrote to them, when I received no reply from the priest.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 11:17 BST (UK) »
did you look on the genealogy page I mention Griffith's Valuation 1858-1864
Edward McGuinness 9 West Port, John McGuinness 19 Castle Street, Willian Ginn 25 Chapel Lane, Daniel McGinney 41 College Street.