Author Topic: hard one anybody care to have a go  (Read 5372 times)

Offline gypandme

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
hard one anybody care to have a go
« on: Wednesday 05 March 08 00:28 GMT (UK) »
looking for a alexander beatty bc 1813 ireland app m elizabeth adams in 1849 in clongesh longford but the children app born prior
alex poss parents may have been alex beatty and jane ball
the children can only find 2 sons they are
josiah james bc 1844 in wales
and his brother alexander holmes beatty born in lancaster in c1846
elizabeth the mother app born c 1819 in county armagh ireland sorry i dont know where this is
josiah arr australia in the 1850's but dont know what happened to his mother father and brother
all over the place but starting point leads  me to ireland
anyone care to have a go
regards and much app
gwen

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: hard one anybody care to have a go
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 March 08 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gwen,

What denomination were your Beatty ancestors?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline Herts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 09 08:18 BST (UK) »
I know of a Beatty family who live in Mohill Co. Leitrim
They were there when I worked in Mohill (Quinn Bros.) in the 1950s
peter

Offline Ed H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 09 02:24 BST (UK) »

Gwen,

If you are near a Latter-Day-Saints Family History Center., You can try and rent the film number  ( 1279219 ) and view it. It is for Clongesh                 ( Newtownforbes ) and the dates are as follows. Baptisms, 1829-1887, Marriages 1829-1879, and Deaths 1829-1881.

If my memory is correct, the film is a bit hard to read and you'll need a magnifying glass also. It's been awhile since I searched that film.

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 April 09 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed, Are you maybe of the opinion some of this film was unable to be transcribed?  Allegedly 2  of my ancestors were married in Clonguish in 1841, (acccording to Scottish birth cert) but Longford Genealogy could find no record of the marriage, but did find subsequent births.

I tried again when the records came online, but no luck. If some of the records were illegible that might explain it.   
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline Ed H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 09 01:20 BST (UK) »
Tootsiepie,

I would only be guessing at this time as it has been several years since I viewed that film. I do remember it being difficult to read. I had to use a magnifying glass plus I put a yellow piece of paper down on the viewing board to change the lighting a bit, so I could make the writing a little bit better.

I hope to go to the FHC in the next month and view some films once again. Give me your info and I'll give it a go for you. But as I mentioned. It might be about 4 weeks before I get there. And if they still have the film. I had put quite a few films on permanent hold for myself and others to use. That one included as my grandfather is from Clongesh.

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 April 09 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed,  That would be wonderful, no rush whatsoever, as I've waited years for this marriage. Will send PM  with the two names etc.

BUT please do not strain your eyes with this film on my acount.
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline Ed H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Beatty and Adams
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 09 03:13 BST (UK) »
Gwen,

This is in reply to your request for some help, I have searched around the free sites that are out there and found the following information. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but maybe someone can use it.

Griffith's Valuation was done in 1854 for Co. Longford. The following names are listed in Clongesh Parish.  Alexander Adams- Townland, Lisnabo.
Alexander Beatty Jr, Alexander Beatty Sr, Townland- Cleggill.  Richard Tanner,-Townland, Cleggill.

LDS Site- Alexander Beatty, b. Abt 1801 Longford, Isabelle Florance Bolles, b. Abt 1803 Longford.

They had a daughter-
             Isabelle Beatty b. 1827 Cleggill, Clongesh.
             She married Richard Tanner, b. Abt 1825. 
             They had the following children:

Isabel Florance Tanner b. Sept 1847
              Ambrose                       b. Abt   1849
              Archibald                       b. Abt   1851
              Jennie                           b. Abt    1853
              Mamie                           b. Abt     1855

Isabel Florance Tanner traveled to the US and married Alexander Shannon b. Abt 1843  in Hartford. Ct. on May 21, 1874.

Their children are, Jane, Alexander, Isabel Florance, Mary, and Elizabeth.

In your post, you mention a Alexander Holmes Beatty. There is a Ellen Holmes listed in the GV in the same townland as Alexander Adams, townland of Lisnabo. May be a connection there?

Also in the GV, I found 2 Parishes with a Ambrose Bole, may be a connection to Isabelle Florance Bolles b. Abt 1801. They were in Maydow and Taghsheenod Parishes.

Alexander Beatty married Elizabeth Adams on October 23, 1849 in Clongesh.

I hope this is of some help to you, if not, to someone with these surnames. Good Luck with your searches.

Offline wild_thistle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 June 09 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed and everyone looking for info on clongesh. My Kane ancestors came from Newtownforbes. That particular film you mention is here in Australia. i ordered it in and yes, it is extremeley difficult to read. I ended up going home with a headache. Just out of interest, anyone come across my Michael Kane and Elizabeth Feeny. I found them on a Census for 1901. He was 50 and she was 42. That is all I have found so far.
Cheers
Catherine
maclennan harris/ross & cromarty
morrison, macdonald,mackinnon in harris
kane in longford,ireland
murphy