Author Topic: Scott, Irwin or Harrison - Ballybay looks up needed  (Read 4928 times)

Offline irish swallow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Scott, Irwin or Harrison - Ballybay looks up needed
« on: Friday 24 April 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
I am looking for info on families in the Ballybay area for a friend - Her great grandmother was Elizabeth Stuart SCOTT born 1857 - daughter of Francis SCOTT a farmer from Lattycrum  - she had a brother Francis and a brother Thomas who was an auctioneer in Ballybay in 1910 Directory.

They may be connected to another family led by James IRWIN whose daughter Margaret IRWIN  b 1857 is said to be a cousin of Elizabeth Stuart SCOTT.

Elizabeth Stuart SCOTT m Josias THOMPSON in Castleblaney in 1878 - she died and he marrried Mgt IRWIN in Castleblayney in 1885.

Josias THOMPSON was a shop keeper and may have been part owner of Hope Arms Hotel in Castleblaney.

His parents were Samuel THOMPSON 1815 - 1885 and Letitia HARRISON nee MITCHELL 1811 - 1892  - Letitia maried first to a Mr Harrison

Could anyone do a look up and see if the names SCOTT, IRWIN or HARRISON appear in Ballybay anywhere.

The Harrison were very wealthy. Some names I know of for grandchildren of Letitia are Wm Harrison BOYD, and Robert Wallace HARRISON

Yvonne

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scott, Irwin or Harrison - Ballybay looks up needed
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 22:47 BST (UK) »
I have some Irwin and Scott g/stone photos in Ballybay area if you want to send me your email address by PM....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 16 14:21 BST (UK) »
Yes there were Harrisons of Ballybay.  However, your Letitia Mitchell married first a John Harrison (born about 1801, d. 1841) whose father was James Harrison [Jr.] of Church Hill, County Monaghan and who immigrated to Smithville, Chenango County New York.  James Jr. married Elizabeth Kinnier.  All of JOhn's siblings went and stayed in the U.S., some in New York City, some in Smithville. 

The Ballybay Harrisons and the Church Hill Harrisons were by 1760 second cousins.  They both go back to a Mr. Harrison who arrived in County Monaghan in about 1700.  His Harrisons were from the area around Ballynahinch, County Down.  (See Ballynahinch Presbyterian records for Harrison baptisms starting in 1703.  These are on the Ros Davies website for County Down.)
Harrison

Offline irish swallow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 September 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
Poly Lynn we have been in contact many times regarding the Harrisons since I out up that message - and I can't believe it was seven years ago.  Yvonne