Author Topic: Henry Boyd b1859 Antrim  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Nichotj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Boyd b1859 Antrim
« on: Saturday 25 April 09 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find any family of Henry Boyd born 1859.  The only reference that I have is a 1901 Census from Liverpool.  He married Ellen Jane Noscoe in 1889 in Toxteth.

Many Thanks,

Tim

Name           Birth Year Birthplace Relation RESIDENCE

Henry Boyd    abt 1859  Antrim, Ireland Head  Toxteth Park, Lancashire
Ellen J Boyd     abt 1857  Aigburth, Lancashire, England Wife  Toxteth Park, Lancashire
Edith J Boyd   abt 1890  Liverpool, Lancashire, England Daughter  Toxteth Park, Lancashire
Frank Boyd    abt 1893  Liverpool, Lancashire, England Son  Toxteth Park, Lancashire
George Noscoe abt 1821  Liverpool, Lancashire, England Father-in-law  Toxteth Park, Lancashire
Jane Noscoe   abt 1829  Liverpool, Lancashire, England Mother-in-law  Toxteth Park, Lancashire
Nicholls, Ireland, Noscoe, Wrangle/s, Cook

Offline rogerwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Boyd b1859 Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 June 13 16:59 BST (UK) »
I have details of (I think) his father.

Born on 25 February 1820 in Kilrush, Co Clare, Henry Boyd was the son of a coastguard of the same name and his wife Martha. Henry junior joined the Royal Navy as a volunteer aboard HMS Victory on 7 August 1838 and was rated as a Boy (1st Class), being substantively posted to HMS Ocean at Sheerness on 1 September that year. He transferred to the Coastguard Service in Ireland, being based at Newcastle, Co Down as a Boatman from 8 March 1847. He was promoted Commissioned Boatman there on 3 January 1849. On 29 July 1851 he married Mary Ann Sullivan, the 21-year-old London-born daughter of coastguard John Sullivan, at Kilcoo Parish Church. Together they would go on to have at least seven children. Then, on 12 July 1862 he transferred as Chief Boatman to Belmullet. Boyd was finally promoted Chief-Boatman-in-Charge on 24 December 1863 and then transferred to Tyrella station in that capacity on 31 December that year. On 3 February 1869, after over 30 years service, Henry Boyd was invalided at Haulbowline Hospital. Boyd then settled in Kirkdale, Liverpool, where he now worked as a custom house officer. He lived at 48 Brazenose Road in 1871 and 7 Syren Street in 1881, at which time the family consisted of Henry (now noted as age ‘50’ and retired from the Royal Navy), Mary (45), Henry Y (24, a customs officer), Mary A (17), Simon (16, an engineer), Sam C (14, a scholar), Alice (12, a milliner) and Arthur (6, a scholar). Henry Boyd died the following year, on 12 March 1882, at home from paralysis. His son, Henry, registered his death the next day. Mary Boyd appears as a widow on the 1891 census, living with her son Samuel at 56 Syren Street (TNA ref: ADM 29/75/457; ADM 37/10129; ADM 38/991, 992, 1272, 1273, 2096; ADM 171/1, 6 and 19; ADM 175/7, 19-20, 39, 41, and 100; Newcastle Church of Ireland parish baptism records; 1871-1891 English census).

I hope this helps a little.

Roger

Offline Nichotj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 June 13 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,

Such fantastic detail, this is all greatly appreciated.  Still trying to locate them in 1871 though.

Are you related to the Boyd's then?

Tim

Offline rogerwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 June 13 18:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, as I noted in 1871 'my' Henry Boyd was in Kirkdale, Liverpool, living at 48 Brazenose Road. The only family with him on that census was a son, Wm Benj Boyd, aded 12. I'm not sure where the others were at that point, but they may have still been in Ireland.

I'm not related to the Boyds, but an writing a book about lifesaving in Ireland: Henry Boyd won a RNLI silver medal for lifesaving while in the coastguard.

Roger

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 June 13 19:37 BST (UK) »
If I can add a little more information re Henry Boyd (1820). During the Crimean War he served on HMS Boscawen, and was awarded the Baltic Medal.

His father Henry was born in 1797, Kilrush, and died in 1847; details from his grave stone:

BOYD. Sacred to the memory of Henry Boyd. Coast Guard of Newcastle who departed this life 20th February 1847 aged 56 years. Also Martha his deeply lamented wife who departed this life 9th May 1845.

Reference; Kilborne Ch.of Ireland Cemetery.

Martin

Offline Nichotj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 June 13 09:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you Martin.

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 June 17 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Nichotj,
Henry Boyd Snr born 1791 is my GGG Uncle. I have been searching for information on his son Henry who followed him into the Coastguard service.

Henry Snr father was David Boyd Linen Merchant of Kilkeel, who came from the Dundrum area in the late 1700's to work in the flax industry.

These posts have helped me so much.

Henry Snr's brother William moved to Dublin and married in 1851 to Jane Carrick and two of their sons migrated to Australia in 1876 and 1883.

I would love to hear from you and your family.

regards
babzi
Irish Scottish
Carrick Boyd Cooper McAuley Dun

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 June 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about the relationships, dates, etc.?
Henry Boyd Snr born 1791 is my GGG Uncle. I have been searching for information on his son Henry who followed him into the Coastguard service.
Henry Snr father was David Boyd Linen Merchant of Kilkeel, who came from the Dundrum area in the late 1700's to work in the flax industry.
Henry Snr's brother William moved to Dublin and married in 1851 to Jane Carrick and two of their sons migrated to Australia in 1876 and 1883.

William Boyd, son of David, m.1851 Jane Carrick-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGX7-MJR

LDS database (www.familysearch.org) have Scottish births for children with father William Boyd & mother Jane Carrick but these might be 1 or more different families.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 June 17 10:29 BST (UK) »
Yes definitely. Henry Boyd b.1791 son of David Boyd married Martha and they are both buried in the old churchyard in Kilkeel side by side. Henry was the Coastguard in Newcastle before his death in 1847. Henry and Martha had Henry born 1820 in county Clare where he was based as a boatman. Henry junior married Mary Ann Sullivan in  Kilcoo church of Ireland 1851.
As you will read by the other posts Henry Junior followed in his fathers footsteps.

David Boyd Linen Merchant of Kilkeel, Henry Snr's father, had another son who was a seaman for 4 years, John Boyd who lost his life when The Venus was lost off the Isle of Man 1817.

i should clarify, the Henry Boyd born Antrim 1859 is the grandson of Henry Boyd born 1791.
Irish Scottish
Carrick Boyd Cooper McAuley Dun