Author Topic: Houston's of Ballynahatty Tyrone  (Read 15319 times)

Offline karoa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Houston's of Ballynahatty Tyrone
« on: Sunday 26 April 09 02:04 BST (UK) »
I have a Sarah Jane Houston born 1834 to John Houston & Anne.at Ballynahatty,she died in 1898 & married thomas Alexander in 1853 at Ballynahatty presbyterian church.Her siblings were Roseanna born1839,Isaballa born 1841 both were unmarried,Anne who married Robert Younge in 1874 & Flemming born 1832 & died 1894 at Omagh.
there is a monument erected my Roseanna & Isabella to here parents & brother Flemming in Fintona.
Does anyone have anymore information on this family
Kim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Houston's of Ballynahatty Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 09 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    There is a will abstract on the PRONI website under "Will Calendar Search" for Fleming Houston.

Regards

Modified to add that John Houston is listed on the Griffith Valuation as a substantial farmer.
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 09 10:22 BST (UK) »
PRONI website (for Will Search):
www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/will_calendars.htm

"The Will (with one Codicil) of John Houston late of Ballinahatty County Tyrone Farmer deceased who died 11 April 1870 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oaths of John Houston junior of Edergole and Fleming Houston of Ballinahatty both in (Omagh) said County Farmers the Executors." effects under £1,500

"Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Fleming Houston late of Ballynahatty County Tyrone Farmer who died 29 August 1894 at same place were granted at Londonderry to Isabella Houston of Ballynahatty Spinster the Sister." effects £1,352 3s 5d

Possibly another relative:
"Probate of the Will of The Reverend John Houston late of Ballynahatty County Tyrone Presbyterian Minister who died 4 February 1903 granted at Londonderry to King Houston Solicitor and William A. Houston Gentleman." effects £594 6s 2d

Griffith's Valuation:
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

Children of Thomas Alexander and Sarah Houston listed in IGI (civil registration of births started 1864 so you need to search in church records for any older children)- all born Co. Tyrone:
1. Anne born 6 June 1864 Dromore district
2. Sarah Jane born 25 June 1866 Dromore district
3. Skelton born 28 June 1868, married 22 May 1890 Manhattan, New York to Pauline C. Ochs
4. Henry born 17 Apr.1870
5. Rebecca born 9 June 1873
6. Francis born 16 Feb.1876

Someone else researching Houstons?:
http://genforum.genealogy.com/houston/messages/4638.html
http://genforum.genealogy.com/ireland/tyrone/messages/1307.html

A message on Curious Fox site with broken link:
"I'm searching the Houston family from the Ballynahatty area,I have a SARAH JANE HOUSTON born 1834 to John Houston.Sarah married Thoams ALEXANDER in 1853 at Ballynahatty,their children were John, James, Osborne, Flemming, Anne, Sarah Jane, Skelton, Henry, Mary, Francis & Rebecca. Any help greatly appreciatted"

Found lots more so let me know if you want more information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline karoa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help,I'm not sure if my John Houston was a Rev,will have to search some more.
Any information or connections greatly appreciated,as I have very little on the family.

Kim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Rev. John Houston might not be the John Houston who married Anne but could be related which is why I included him.

First Ballynahatty Presbyterian Church: John Houston (lic. Omagh) ordained 25 May 1843, retired 18 Sept.1891, died 4 Feb.1903.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline matchett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
I read your post about the Houstons of Ballynahatty and Edergole. My grandfather bought the farm that belonged to Fleming Houston back in 1932. The deeds show that the money went to Alexanders who were scattered all over the globe. I have quite a bit of history about Ballynahatty and the Presbyterian Church there. If you would like any information, let me know but you seem to have quite a bit already.

Offline karoa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 12:47 BST (UK) »
Fantastic.

Would love to have a copy of the deeds if possible & anything else you have on Ballynahatty & the family.

Interested to see were all the Houstons went & who they all are

Kim

Offline matchett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 13:55 BST (UK) »
What I have on Ballynahatty is typed on a 76 page document. It also contain scans of pictures of landmarks and buildings e.g the Church and the barns. I can't figure out a way of emailing it to you via rootchat, so I will type what is relevant to the Houston's in this space.

I have found no record of the Houston's in Ballynahatty/Edergole before 1805. In 1832, Ross Houston of Edergole and John Houston of Ballynahatty applied to be registered as freeholders in these locations. A tithe valuation book for Drumragh Parish for 1831 refers to John Houston of Ballynahatty who owned 21 acres there and a further 7 in the townland of Edergole. Ross is listed a owning 44 acres in Edergole Upper.

These Houstons are supposed to be descended from a Christopher Houston who came to the Castlederg area of County Tyrone from Galloway, Scotland in the 1660s. His son James was the marksman who is said to have shot a French officer at the head of his troops from the walls of Derry during the Siege of 1688-89. He had descendants who lived at Newtoncunningham, County Donegal and at Ballynahatty, Co Tyrone. One of his sons, also called Christopher (who was 9 during the siege of Derry)  is supposed to have fathered 3 sons, one of which was the grandfather of Ross (Edergole), John (Ballynahatty), James (Lifford Co. Donegal) and Patrick (Beragh, Co Tyrone).

Some Houstons are buried in the graveyard of Fintona Presbyterian Church, Co Tyrone. The gravestones are weathered and the inscriptions are hard to read. However, a Roseanna Houston of Ballynahatty (died 1926) aged 87, and her sister Isabella (died 1928) also aged 87 are buried behind the Church. Also buried there are some of their relations, the Houstons of Hillhead, Edergole. The Reverend John Houston, Minister of 1st Ballynahatty Presbyterian Church is also buried there. He died in 1903 aged 84. His wife died the same year aged 81. Also buried in the same plot are their son William Alexander (died 1936) and their daughter ???? died 1937.

Houstons no longer live in Ballynahatty. In turn, James Hamilton and Herbert Wilson bought their properties in the early 1930’s. Few of the families who lived in the neighbourhood 100 or more years ago remain.

A Presbyterian congregation was first established in Ballynahatty in 1805. It followed a quarrel among the congregation of First Omagh Presbyterian Church over the treatment of the Rev. Hugh Delap. This Delap was removed from his post as minister ‘on account of immoral behavior’, and went on to become a barrister, but not a particularly good one. As a result of this quarrel, a number of families withdrew from First Omagh and built a meeting house of their own on the commons of Ballynahatty (as none of the local landlords would give them a site). They joined the Secession Synod, which was more Calvinistic in outlook than the Synod of Ulster.  The prime movers in establishing this new Presbyterian congregation at Ballynahatty were Messrs. Crawford, Dudgeon, Houston, Hunter, Ramsay, Shields, Sproule and Young. In 1838, the members of the Church Committee were –

Ross Houston, John Houston, Samuel King, John Young, Samuel Young, John Megrew, William Dudgeon, David Fyffe and John Perry.

The Rev. Latimer was succeeded by John Houston, a relation of the Houstons of Ballynahatty mentioned earlier. The congregation in Ballynahatty is said to have lost many families to emigration during the Potato Famine of 1846-49.In 1862, Miss Rachel Houston of Lifford and Bundoran, a relation of the Houstons of Ballynahatty, presented a manse to Ballynahatty Presbyterian Church, along with a freehold farm worth £1,000. She also presented another manse to Ballindrait Presbyterian Church, Co. Donegal. By 1891, the Rev. Houston was forced to retire due to ill health
1892-1928

The Rev. George Brown, a native of Eglish, Co. Tyrone, succeeded the Rev. Houston. In his time, the inside of the Church was renovated, stables built and the schoolhouse repaired. The Church Committee of 1913 included –

John Johnston, King Houston, James White, Robert Ross Dudgeon, Alex White, Thomas Young, John J.Fyffe, J.J.K. Johnston, Richard Johnston, Hugh Johnston, William Warnock, John Deery, John Houston, John Young (Edergole), John Young (Blacksessiagh), John Adams and Robert Clarke.

I will have to check the deeds of our farm again to find a list of the Alexander children who benefited from the sale of the Houston farm at Ballynahatty. As far as I can recall there was in in Dublin 1 in Cincinatti, Ohio, and 1 in Melbourne, Australia. I will send you another message with more detailed info. Our neigbours (who bought the Houston farm at Edergole) say that 20 or 30 years ago, a surgeon called Houston from Dublin called with them to revisit the farm where his ancestors lived. The old lady (Mrs Wilson) of the house gave this gentleman the original key of the farmhouse as a keepsake. Unfortunately her son doesn't remember the man's first name or whereabouts in Dublin he lived. He has not been heard of since.

Finally - thankfully says you! - a John Houston, together with a Nancy and a Mary Houston of Edergole signed the Ulster Covenant of 1912 to opposed Home Rule for Ireland. This continued a tradition of loyalty to the British that had began with James Houston's involvement at the Siege of Derry back in 1688.

Matchett

Offline karoa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 June 09 01:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information ,I'm from the Alexander line in  Melbourne Australia.

My email is (*)

if you would like to scan what you have  & email me that would be great,I just love Photos & old documents.

Kindest regards

Kim

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php