Author Topic: Houston's of Ballynahatty Tyrone  (Read 15320 times)

Offline Housty72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Houston's of Ballynahatty Tyrone
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 January 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,
I think the Doctor was an Alexander .Fleming left this estate to the Alexanders, one being Francis from Dublin & his son was a Doctor. My line is James Alexander ( My Grandfather) who lived in Melbourne, Australia, his parents were Thomas Alexander & Sarah Jane Houston, sister of Fleming
Regards
Kim Melbourne, Australia

Hi Kim,
I think we are talking about two different estates, I visited with my grandfather in December and it was indeed he who visited the 'old homestead' as he referred to it, in Edergole and was given the key. However, he is now in a home and all his belongings were packed away a few years back and no one remembers seeing a key, although I imagine it must be somewhere in his stored possessions, I certainly hope so!
I believe we may well be confusing the estate Fleming had in Ballynahatty, and the Edergole estate of Ross Houston.
Best regards,
Mark

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 06 August 20 08:04 BST (UK) »
Looking for any clues to a 'stray' HOUSTON. I have a Mary HOUSTON/HUSTON marrying Robert LYONS c 1838/9 in Cloughfin/Edenderry area of OMAGH (County Tyrone). They had 5 children that I know of - James c 1840, Letitia c 1844, John 1846 (Edenderry), Andrew (1849) and Mary (1850). Both Robert and Mary died in 1872 and were buried in Drumnakilly. The gravestone suggests Mary was born c 1810.

There is a Robert Houston in the Sixmilecross area.
Does anyone know anything about this Mary or Robert (supposedly son of a Hugh Huston).
Any help gratefully received. This Mary is a total mystery.

Offline ttapl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Houston Huston of Cloghfin and Six Mile Cross Tyrone
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 November 20 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Robert Huston, age 35, widower, of Cloghfin, Termonmaguirk, Tyrone, son of Hugh Huston, tailor, married Mary Dixon of Tonegan, daughter of Joseph Dixon, on April 21, 1853 in SixMileCross Parish Church of Termonmaguirk.

On Oct 25, 1877, Robert Houston, bachelor, boot and shoe maker, of Six Mile Cross, son of William Houston, married Rosanna Moffat, spinster, of Foremass, Errigal Keerogue, daughter of Galbaith Moffat (both full age) in Six Mile Cross Presbyterian Church.

Hugh Huston is listed in the 1825 Tithe in Six Mile Cross.

Cloghfin is a townland in Termonmaguirk just NE of the town of Six Mile Cross.

Linda

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 November 20 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Linda. I'll do a trace and see if I can find descendents for those men and look for a William - possibly a brother to Robert.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 November 20 07:45 GMT (UK) »

Cloghfin is a townland in Termonmaguirk just NE of the town of Six Mile Cross.

Here's a link to the townland.
Cloghfin is east of the townland and village of Sixmilecross.
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/cloghfin/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Janet Mc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 November 20 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I don't think I'd realised how tiny my ancestral areas were Cloughfin, Sixmilecross and Brackey.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 16 November 20 11:06 GMT (UK) »

Bracky townland to the north of Sixmilecross.
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/east-omagh/termonmaguirk/bracky/
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 20 November 20 15:07 GMT (UK) »

On Oct 25, 1877, Robert Houston, bachelor, boot and shoe maker, of Six Mile Cross, son of William Houston, married Rosanna Moffat, spinster, of Foremass, Errigal Keerogue, daughter of Galbaith Moffat (both full age) in Six Mile Cross Presbyterian Church.

Here's the link-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1877/11149/8083827.pdf

Rosanna residing in the townland of Foremass, civil parish of Errigle (sic). The townland is about 3km south-east of the village of Sixmilecross.

https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/clogher/errigal-keerogue/foremass-upper/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4689468#map=14/54.5437/-7.0903

KG

Offline Bill Young

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 14 August 22 16:53 BST (UK) »
Have you checked out www.cotyroneireland.com?  I helped to upload berths and marriages from 1st and 2nd Ballynahatty so I know there are several references to Houstons in there.