Author Topic: Old SA place names  (Read 7518 times)

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
Old SA place names
« on: Sunday 26 April 09 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some help with the locations of the following place names that no longer exist.

I have an 1841 birth at STEPHEN'S DALE (christening recorded at Holy Trinity).

An 1846 birth at OLD TIERS. (There is an 1844 birth at Glen Osmond between these two.)

An 1841 census area shown as Government Farm TIERS.

An 1862 death (different family) at Battersea Farm, near THIERS.

I found a reference that says Crafers was previously called Old Tiers, but also have an impression that the tiers was a more general term for the foothills or hills areas. Can anyone please enlighten me further?

Didy

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Old SA place names
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Didy,

Yes I too believe this was a whole area. Crafers was the heart of The Tiers. Mainly inhabited by woodcutters and gold seekers. My relatives were woodsmen who found gold and built an early hotel. Lots of shady characters (escaped convicts etc) inhabited this densely scrubbed area. My interest is New Tiers (Forest Range) sometimes described simply as The Tiers. I have several BMDs from this area. "Tiers Near Woodside" "Tiers near Forest Range" It came under Nairne district. A relative was credited will renaming New Tiers Forest Range.

http://www.ahc.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=208

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 09 07:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts, Kris, as well as the interesting link.

The child born in 1846 at Old Tiers was christened a year later at Blakiston, as were later children, so I wondered if the Tiers name extended that far.

I have never seen another reference to Stephen's Dale, but assume it must have been reasonably close to the city.

Didy

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 09 07:51 BST (UK) »
Very interesting.....and got me thinking about the use of the name "Tiers" in place names such as Hindmarsh Tiers.

I went searching and found the following very interesting too....

http://www.mitchamcouncil.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=380

Dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 April 09 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Dee

Interesting stuff in the Mitcham article, especially the way it shows the use of "tiers" in the general hills context.

Shows that the old place names which used the term covered a lot of territory, methinks.

Didy

Offline DeanneandTony

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 May 09 04:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
We have New Tiers, Tiers, Mt Lofty Tiers and Old Tiers amongst birth/marriage places in our family and they are all Uraidla, Summertown, Carey Gully area and then there are the Tiers near...... place names.  Seemed the Tiers covered a lot of ground until some of the other names came into being.

Deanne
Hanchant/Hanchett: Herts, Essex (all counties as all related)
Hanchant, Gillespie, Williams : South Africa
Nichols: Norfolk
Middleton: Kent
Little: Gloucestershire
Lander: Glasgow
Brown: Glasgow
Collison: Ireland
Meeres, Burke : Canada
Bagnell:

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
I too, would love to know where STEPHEN'S DALE is. Have you had any success, Didy?

My person of interest was "born in a one room 'dugout' in the side of the hill at Glen Osmond", as per family stories.

I have now added (thanks to Kris) that he was "born 3 Nov 1841 at Stephens Dale baptised Holy Trinity 12 Dec 1841"

Are we chasing the same family? My current interest is the SPENCER, HENSTRIDGE & SHEPARD. The SPENCER's arrived in 1839 aboard the "Prince Regent"

Regards
Grantley

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 July 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Grantley.

I still don't know exactly where Stephen's Dale was, but have suspected that it was in the Glen Osmond region.

My family was living in Waymouth Street in April 1840 when they buried a child at Holy Trinity. The next reference also comes from a Holy Trinity record for a child born 16 March 1841 and christened May 1841, with the parents' abode being Stephen's Dale.

The next recorded child was born in 1844 at Glen Osmond, and the one after that in 1846 at "Old Tiers", but christened at Blakiston, where 3 more children were born.

The 1841 census lists the family in District A, which apparently covered the metropolitan area from Port Adelaide eastward to a line drawn north-south through Mt Lofty, with the southern boundary being the road from Glenelg to South Terrace and then a line eastward from there to the Mt Lofty line. This would appear to exclude Glen Osmond, but the baby is not recorded on the census, and I'm not sure of the date it was taken.

My "Government Farm Tiers" query relates to a brother of the above.

The family's name was Farmilo, and I am not aware of any connections with the names you mention.

Regards,
Didy.

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 July 09 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Didy,
Great to make contact.

The family that I am researching is of Joseph SPENCER & Elizabeth SHEPARD.

They also moved up to the Mt Barker/Nairne area. Joseph SPENCER died in Native Valley nr Nairne and is buried in Blakiston cemetery.

I have a request for the obituary of their son William Joseph SPENCER, who was born at Stephen's Dale. Hopefully it may help, but I am not holding me breath.

Regards
Grantley