Author Topic: BURTON family - Victoria  (Read 12672 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BURTON family - Victoria
« Reply #36 on: Friday 08 May 09 08:53 BST (UK) »
There are some wills for this family on the Victorian PROV site, for example

George A BURTON coach builder, Lilydale, death 7 Mar 1904 - excellent list of family members, addresses etc

http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/access/probate.asp

There are a number of other Burtons who look as though they fit your family.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 09 May 09 00:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - yes many of these are related.  Ruth

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 01 June 09 14:43 BST (UK) »
More enquiries!!  Anyone have any later knowledge of children of JAMES SPENCE and ANNIE ELIZABETH BURTON (b.1885 Charlton, Vic.):
1. Ellen SPENCE, born c.1905-6; 2. Andrew Edward SPENCE  born 28th January, 1908, Womens Hospital, City of Melbourne; 3. William Joseph Dinneen SPENCE, b. 21 April, 1911 (ditto) (died 14.7.2002, aged 91 yrs. , buried Lilydale cemetery); 4. Alice Ilene SPENCE b.1912 (ditto). 
 Last two children believed to have been fostered for some years by family named Warburton - of Gruyere area, Yarra Glen. Ruth MacLeod

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
Further to my last message - I think I have found the WARBURTON family.  Letitia May EVANS, B. abt. 1860, N.S.W., married 1887 N.S.W. to Charles WARBURTON, born 1857 N.S.W., child Esther Elizabeth Warburton, born 1888 N.S.W.
I have them in Caulfield in 1903 El.rolls:  Charles(Labourer) & Letitia.
 1909 living in Lilydale, Mernda, Charles, farmer in Gruyere, with daughterEsther; 1914 in Lilydale, with Alfred Charles W., Orchardist, Charles, Letitia and Julia; 1924  same family plus Mary Hilda W., Teacher at Convent of Mercy, Lilydale; 1931, Lilydale, Alfred Ch., Charles, Letitia and Eva Johanna (Wandin North).  Do these people ring any bells?  Ruth

Offline dn2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 10 April 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,
I am related to Marion Burton, daughter of George Alfred Burton and Elizabeth Jane Jenner and born in Ballarat Victoria in 1868. 

My father "Ron" knew of your father "Burtie" Pretty when he joined the SECV in 1938.
My father's family tree has Roda Burton (Rhoda?) born in 1873 at Warrenheip.
According to my father,there was another daughter who was not on Cando's list. This was Dorothy "Tottie" Burton, born (date unknown) after John Alfred Burton.  "Tottie" had a daughter "Effie"...unfortunately I don't have any more details.

Denise

Offline neilgen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 20 May 16 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

I don't have any Burton family links, but some of my family had business connections to Eb. and Bill Burton in Lilydale.

My grandfather initially worked at their garage on the SE corner of Main St and Deschamps Ave before taking it over, then run by my parents into the 1970's.
The funeral parlour was on the other SW corner of Deshamps, Ave. Some of the garage men would act as hearse drivers for funerals. All buildings now gone.
I know Eb. had a daughter.

Neil

Offline MGW13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 17 November 17 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, new to the chat and am Ebenzer Burton's granddaughter and would like to have contact with regards finding out more for my family history / tree....

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 00:27 GMT (UK) »
I am descendant of Ruth Burton and am interested in your connection.

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 00:48 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was Ruth BURTON, born 1864, daughter of George Alfred Burton and Elizabeth Jane Jenner, and an elder sister of your Rhoda BURTON.
When my father's father James Pretty died in 1819, my dad became an orphan, as his mother Ruth had died two weeks after his birth in 1901.
He first stayed with Burtons relations at Lilydale for a year, then came to Mornington, Vic. to live and work with Rhoda Burton and her husband William Henry Wilson, who had grocery and haberdashery stores in Main Street.
I have researched the Burton tree quite extensively.