Author Topic: Aberdeenshire Surnames  (Read 16680 times)

Offline diamondr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeenshire Surnames
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 01:10 GMT (UK) »
William SIMPSON 1819-1890 born Towie dHuron Co ,ONT. Canada m Mary HENDERSONb1830 d191/3/4/5[not sure].

And that is all any of us know of her Would love to be able to put her in context. She was my2xgt gran

I have just come across this website. I have all the info on William Simpson and Mary Henderson since they came to Canada. Put together a small book on their history a few years ago.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello diamondr,

What a nice surprise after so many years to see your post. I am also connected to this William Simpson and Mary Henderson. Tell me more please about your book. And that, (smile), will make your third post here at RootsChat which means that you will then be able to access the PM feature (Personal/Private Messaging). That's important because I am hoping that you have copies for sale, but RootsChat frowns on commercial messages in the public threads.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline diamondr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
 Good to hear back so quickly. From my info William Simpson and his wife Mary Henderson came to Canada in 1853 or1854 with their infant son Alexander. My uncle said that Alexander claimed to be a man of no country as he was born on the boat, however I found a record of his birth in Leochel Cushnie Scotland, not far the parish of Towie. William's younger brother Arthur also came to Canada at this time. I have photos of them all. William and Arthur's parents and siblings are buried in the Kildrummy graveyard, recorded on one tombstone. A brother James seemed to disappear from records after his daughter Margaret was born in 1837. Would like to find out more about him. I also have a bit of info on Mary's family.
Diamondr

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning, diamondr,

Do you have information on the Simpsons who went out west?

Were either William or Arthur members of any Masonic Lodges to your knowledge? We know that William's second son John A Simpson was and there is a photo link below.

[Aside: He is believed to have been christened plain John Simpson but added the initial "A" as an adult to differentiate himself from all the other John Simpson-s.]

The Glenbow Museum photo archive:

http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archivesPhotosSearch.aspx

has at least 5 different photographs that include John A Simpson. You can see them by plugging these reference numbers into the "Keywords/Phrase" box.
 a) NA-103-22
 b) NA-103-32
 c) NA-433-9
 d) NA-433-23
 e) NA-2883-20

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 05:03 GMT (UK) »
I have an illegitimate GG Uncle, Gilbert Joss Morrison, who was born to Isabella Morrison in 1891. Could she have named him Gilbert Joss after his father?
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention he was also born in Old Machar!
Black, Ross - Rathven
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I have an illegitimate GG Uncle, Gilbert Joss Morrison, who was born to Isabella Morrison in 1891. Could she have named him Gilbert Joss after his father?

The simple answer is yes.

However just because it is possible doesn't mean that she did, so you cannot be certain that he was.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 14:22 GMT (UK) »

The simple answer is yes.

However just because it is possible doesn't mean that she did, so you cannot be certain that he was.

Of course, of course....like so much else in genealogical research. 100% certainty is a rare thing.
Black, Ross - Rathven

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a James Joss d.22/2/1863 Old Machar (Billiongraves) m. 22/7/1852 to Marjory Taylor Old Machar. Marjory's parents were John Taylor d. 6/7/1857 (father William Taylor-farm servant, mother Jean (Jane) Masson) and mother Jane Walker d 26/10/1842. I don't know if any of these are part of your Surname List. I am searching for info on Joss and Masson. James Joss, John Taylor and Jane Taylor nee Walker are all on a memorial stone in St.Machar Cathederal Cemetery, Aberdeen.