Author Topic: My Banffshire Surnames  (Read 58889 times)

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: My Banffshire Surnames
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jak,

I was a bit new here when I posted this thread and it was supposed to be for the Banff board  ;D though a lot of the names do turn up in Moray as well  :)

Anyway, you asked about Grange...it is in Banffshire see http://www.abdnet.co.uk/genuki/BAN/Grange/index.html  If you search in the 'Names,Geographical' link, you will find Davoch of Grange.

There is also the Libindx site to search in http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp
In the 'Cemetery' link you will find Grange and hopefully you will find what you are looking for  :) If you find anything then you can order copies through the online shop link...it's not very expensive  :)

Elaine

Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jak,

Forgot to say that although it won't give a transcripton of graves at Libindx, if you email the wonderfully helpful people there, then they might have the inscription and for small fee will send you a copy...they've done this several times for me. Just follow the 'Advice/Help' link.

Elaine  :)
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Elaine.

I shall give it a whirl...

Jak  ;D
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 August 07 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine there is a further complication with my Helen Dey.On the same OPR marriage register there is another Helen Dey again" of this parish" marrying the week or month before them.Cousins?I too spied Ann Dey & wondered if they were related-thought maybe a niece. They didn't seem to make it until the 1841 Census never mind 1855 so I am bit stumped as to her parentage as like for your Deys no birth details.Peter Fraser's are there in 1770 so I am wondering if she came from elsewhere perhaps where records have not survived.

Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 August 07 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Joette,

I've had a look in Libindx and there is info of Helen Dey and Peter Fraser...

Helen Dey born circa 1765 married to Peter Fraser, died 20 Sep 1822 age 57 in Dufftown.
Peter Fraser died 25 April 1847 age 77.
Both buried M(o) Stone 104 (this is Mortlach Old Cemetery)

For £1 + postage you'll be able to get a copy of the inscription from the online shop at http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

Find the info that you need first in the 'people search' then, just click on the online shop link on the left, choose online shop, choose the link on the left 'Moray Heritage Centre' and scroll down to 'Request Archived Copies'

Your two Helens could well be cousins...there seems to be quite a few Deys in that area at that time. For her parentage, have you tried using the naming pattern on each couple's children to see if that makes a difference? It's useful as a guide only as not everyone stuck to it but sometimes it helps  :)

Elaine

Clunie, Philp - Fife

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 August 07 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that! How inconsiderate of them not to wait until 1855.Or if he had died first might have traced a birthplace for her! He is on 1841 Census.
I am sure they didn't move around much so am pretty sure she was born in Mortlach or surrounding area.
The naming pattern-they didn't stick to it.Eldest daughter is Christian which is Peter's Mother's name & only son James could I suppose be her Father's .Peter's Father is Alexander.He was christened in Gamrie.
I think he may have remarried too as he has a 12 year old Isabel living with him on the 1841 Census.|There's a submission on the IGI which names the parents as Peter Fraser & Ann.He did have a daughter Ann so I suppose it could be her daughter his Grandchild. I've just found this extra info which I didn't know I had! My redecorating hasn't even started!
Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 August 07 00:21 BST (UK) »
Anne Dey had 5 daughters so the naming pattern doesn't really work there either.

Anne Dey was from my dad's side and Isobel Dey was from my mum's and I'm convinced that one day I'm going to join both sides up but they're not making it easy  :)

Elaine
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 October 08 10:59 BST (UK) »
Morrison/Morison - Marnoch

Hi Elaine

I have the surname Morison in my tree, they are from Marnoch and were from 1770 and earlier. Do you think we might have a connection ?
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 October 08 13:01 BST (UK) »
This may be totally irrelevant to your inquiry but I have a Grant family connection in Banffshire  though do not have a precise locality, unfortunately. My g.g.g. grandmother was Elspet Grant born c. 1815. She married Alexander Stewart from Cullen in 1830 and they had seven children together: Elspeth (1833), Alexander (1835), John, my g.g. grandfather (1836), George (1838), James (1841), Daniel (1843) & William (1845). For a while the family lived /worked at Cullen House. Elspet died some time between birth of the last child and 1850. In that year Alexander married for a second time. Frustratingly, I have almost no info. about Elspet besides her marriage details etc. - I can find no birth /death records.  As I say, this Grant may have nothing to do with your inquiry but thought I would just let you know just on the off-chance that there is a connection.

Doddie