Author Topic: My Banffshire Surnames  (Read 58890 times)

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: My Banffshire Surnames
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 04 October 08 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

As far as I can tell, my Morrisons didn't move to Marnoch from Gamrie until sometime between 1855 and 1859  This is what I have :-

Alexander MORRISON b1811 Gamrie to Alexander MORISON (farmer)and Jane MILNE. Siblings were - Jane 1808, John 1809, James 1813 and Robert 1814. All born Gamrie.

Alexander (b1811) married Elizabeth JOSS (b circa 1815 Aberdeen) in 1840 at Old Machar, Aberdeen. They had 9 children -
Jean b circa 1842 Old Machar, Jane  b circa 1843 Old Machar, John b 1844 Gamrie, James b circa 1847 Gamrie, Robert b 1848 Gamrie, Isabella b 1850 Gamrie , Mary b 1855 Gamrie, William b 1859 Marnoch and Elizabeth b 1862 Marnoch.
The 1851 Census has the family living in Macduff. The 1861, 71 and 81 Census has them at Brokenfolds, Marnoch. Alexander's occupation - Master Mason.

I don't know much about Alexander MORISON and Jane MILNE other than they married in Gamrie & Macduff in 1807 and Jane (according to Census) was born in Turriff. It's quite possible that they had connections to Marnoch prior to Alexander and Elizabeth moving there but unfortunately, I haven't found anything yet to prove that.

Elaine  :)
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 October 08 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Doodie,
It's always worth mentioning your names just in case  :) Unfortunately, I haven't come across your Grants in my family. Mine came from Speyside and later Mortlach and I've been very lucky to have found a book which traces them back as far as Culloden.

I had a similar experience to yours with my 3x Great grandmother Margaret GAULD who married William GRANT in Mortlach in 1819, I couldn't find Margaret's birth or death anywhere. I searched for her in LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp and discovered that she had died in 1837 and that William had remarried. The entry also told me where she was buried and when she died.

Have you found out where and when Alexander died? The gravestone might well mention Elspeth.

Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline briancowings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 October 08 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Looking for any descendants of Alexander Gauld born about 1798 Mortlach Banffshire.

Brian

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 October 08 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine, thank you for getting in touch. I had a funny feeling my Grant connection would prove fruitless. I have checked out  LIBINDX. In 2006 I actually took a trip to Elgin and visited the premises. Managed to find out quite a bit of useful info. Unfortunately no record of Elspet Grant (apart from the marriage to Alexander). Found a record of her husband Alexander's burial. His plot is in Cullen cemetery but, alas, no headstone.
This has proved to be the case quite often during my research. Unless an unexpected source comes up with  some new details Elspet's roots will remain a mystery.

Doddie

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

I am still no further on with Margaret Gauld. I think that she was born in Mortlach circa 1800 but cannot find her birth/baptism.  The marriage entry for William Grant and Margaret says that they were parishioners of Mortlach but that doesn't mean that she was definitely born there. I suspect she may remain a mystery like Doddie's Elspet .

Elaine 
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine

You mentioned:  "The other Dey that I have is Isabel Dey who married Robert Green on 11 Nov 1760 in Mortlach, I don't know anything else about her yet"

Robert Green and Isobel Dey are my 5 x great grandparents.

I believe (but no sound proof as yet) that Isobel was born/christened 07 apr 1731 @ Botriphnie, the eldest child of 5 recorded born to Alexander Dey and Janet Bennet.

Robert Green and Isobel Dey had 7 recorded children including my 4 x great grandad John Green 1773- after 1851, who married Janet McConnachie.

My line comes down through their son, William Green 1813-1887, married to Jane Shand.

Their son Alexander Green 1858-1929 married Ann Stewart.

My great grandad was their son, John William Green, 1888 - 1949, married to Margaret Fiddes Boyd.

If anyone recognises any of these names, please get in touch.

Kind Regards

Ellen
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen,

We've "met" before...in GR  ;D Nice to hear from you again.

Robert Green and Isobel Dey are my 5 x great grandparents too. I haven't looked at this part of my family for a while now but the name Janet Bennet looks familiar, I probably have it in my notes of possibilities somewhere but like you had no proof.

My line comes from their daughter Margaret Green (1761) who married James Burgess.

Their son Alexander Burgess (1794-1879) married Anne Stuart.

Their son Adam Burgess (1838-1924) married Margaret Margetts.

My tree should still be available to you in GR ...let me know if it isn't.

Elaine
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Offline AussieHutsonGrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 July 09 05:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Doodie,
It's always worth mentioning your names just in case  :) Unfortunately, I haven't come across your Grants in my family. Mine came from Speyside and later Mortlach and I've been very lucky to have found a book which traces them back as far as Culloden.

I had a similar experience to yours with my 3x Great grandmother Margaret GAULD who married William GRANT in Mortlach in 1819, I couldn't find Margaret's birth or death anywhere. I searched for her in LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp and discovered that she had died in 1837 and that William had remarried. The entry also told me where she was buried and when she died.

Have you found out where and when Alexander died? The gravestone might well mention Elspeth.

Hi there, I am a newbie, having joined today.  I am Linda Hutson of Western Australia, researching Hutsons of Edinburgh and Grants of Mortlach and Clarks of Aberdeenshire.  My present concern is the Grants of Mortlach.  This is what I have: My G Grandmother Ann (Annie Grant) married John Clark 18 01 1883 Church of Mortlach.  Her parents:  Alexander Grant, crofter and Barbara Grant nee Dawson.  I cannot seem to find Alexander's birth date or go back any further than he.  Any connection?  Any hints?  All assistance greatly appreciated.  Cheers, Linda

Offline AussieHutsonGrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 July 09 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine, thank you for getting in touch. I had a funny feeling my Grant connection would prove fruitless. I have checked out  LIBINDX. In 2006 I actually took a trip to Elgin and visited the premises. Managed to find out quite a bit of useful info. Unfortunately no record of Elspet Grant (apart from the marriage to Alexander). Found a record of her husband Alexander's burial. His plot is in Cullen cemetery but, alas, no headstone.
This has proved to be the case quite often during my research. Unless an unexpected source comes up with  some new details Elspet's roots will remain a mystery.

Doddie
Hi there, I am a newbie, having joined today.  I am Linda Hutson of Western Australia, researching Hutsons of Edinburgh and Grants of Mortlach and Clarks of Aberdeenshire.  My present concern is the Grants of Mortlach.  This is what I have: My G Grandmother Ann (Annie Grant) married John Clark 18 01 1883 Church of Mortlach.  Her parents:  Alexander Grant, crofter and Barbara Grant nee Dawson.  I cannot seem to find Alexander's birth date or go back any further than he.  Any connection?  Any hints?  All assistance greatly appreciated.  Cheers, Linda  I DO HAVE THIS: 1851 CENSUS
Alexander Grant was 12 years old, scholar, and living with his mother Elspit Grant, 35, agricultural labourer’s wife, and his sister Barbara 9 yo.
They lived at 16 Boghead, Parish of Banff.
Listed as all born in Banffshire, Banff.