Author Topic: My Banffshire Surnames  (Read 58892 times)

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: My Banffshire Surnames
« Reply #45 on: Monday 21 November 11 05:38 GMT (UK) »
James Dey 1700 married Elspet Christie,Their son Alexander Dey  1727 married  Mary Clerk,their son James Dey 1775 married Elizabeth Anderson.Their children James Dey 1795, Christian 1797, Janet Dey1799,Robert Dey 1801, John Dey 1803,  Peter Dey 1803,  Alexander Dey 1805, George Dey 1809, Elizabeth Dey 1814. James 1795 married jane stewart  Christian 1797 married Robert McConachie.  John 1803 married Elspet Donaldson. Peter Dey 1803 married Margaret Walker. Alexander 1805 married Elspet Dow. George 1809 married Christina ?. I have plenty more if this is not enough.Thanks Lucie

G'day sphinxsco (Lucie) ... James Dey and Elspet Christie are my Gx7 Grandparents and they also had another son, John b1730, and he married Margaret Hay and they had 5 children, Elizabeth, Ann, Helen, Margaret and John b1766 ... John b1766 marries Margaret McCulloch and they had 11 children, John, Margaret, James b1794, Alexander, George, Isabel, Christian (f), William, Lewis, Francis (m) and Jean ... James b1794 marries Maria Stewart (Stuart) and they had 10 children, John, Margaret, James, Mary, Ann, Jane, Janet (Jessie) b1827, William, Lewis and Isabella ... Janet (Jessie) b1827 marries James Russell and they had 11 children, Helen, Isabella, Jessie, James, Maria, John, Lewis, Alexander, Adam, Robert and David ....... thought this might be helpful to some of the researchers ... have more info if needed ... n4mv3t (Australia)
CHADWICK - Amersham/Bethnal Green, UK
FOSH/FOUACHE - London, UK
ESTALL - Bethnal Green, UK
LOCKHART - Airdrie/Springburn/Baillieston Scotland
McGREGOR/McGRIGOR - Gartly, Scotland
RUSSELL/RUSSEL/RUSSAL - Mortlach, Scotland

Offline Kmanders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 29 March 14 00:26 GMT (UK) »
How interesting.  Of the marriage between Robert Green and Isobel Dey (daughter of Alexander and Janet (Bennet)), had 7 children. My lineage follows their son Adam, born 1/16/1775, married Margaret Smith, 6 children, their son Robert married Jannet Sutherland, had 9 children, their son William married Joanna Anastasia McCarthy(born in Ireland), married in Marquette, MI.  7 children.  My grandfather was their son William J. who married Edna Adelia Magnuson in 1912. 
Does anyone have any other information about Isobel Dey?  Her siblings? I see that she was born 4/7/1731, in Botriphnie, Scotland.  Any other interesting facts? Farmers? Miners?
Green, McCarthy, Dey, looking for photos, personal information

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 29 March 14 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Kmanders, I have some information on other descendants of Robert Green and Isobel Dey. Their daughter Margaret (b 1761) married James Burgess in 1790 and founded a large dynasty. I have been researching them off and on for years in the hope of eventually attaching that Burgess dynasty to my own Burgess dynasty (or vice versa).

I think that the James Burgess who married Margaret Green is probably the one born in 1759, illegitimate son of Alexander Burgess and Isobel McInnes. There is, however, conflicting evidence of his death date, and no actual evidence to prove who he is, other than that he had a son Alexander and a daughter Isabella - though not in the traditional order, and of course his mother-in-law was also Isobel/Isabella.

My own line goes back to William Burgess, born 1779, son of Alexander Burgess and Elspet McWilliam who were married in Mortlach in 1778. Whether this is the same Alexander Burgess as the one who fathered James, I do not know.

I am interested to see that you have Isobel Dey's parents as Alexander Dey and Janet Bennet. I am wondering what your evidence is for this, because I have speculated about Isobel's parentage, and more or less discounted that Isobel Dey because Robert Green and Isobel Dey did not name any of their children either Alexander or Janet. However, as the Deys and Greens are not my blood relations, I have not researched them in detail and could easily have missed something.

According to the IGI there is a marriage of Isobel Dey to Alexander Fraser in Keith in 1758. This couple had seven (or maybe eight) children, all born in Botriphnie:
Janet 1758
Alexander 1760
Cathrine 1763
Isabel 1765
Jean 1767
John 1770
Helen 1772
and there is another listing of a child with no forename in 1772 - it would be necessary to look at the originals to work out whether this is a different child, or a twin of Helen's who died too soon to be named, or a mistake by the parish clerk.

Noting that this Isobel Dey named her first daughter Janet, and that she had a son Alexander, it seemed to me likely that this was the Isabel Dey born in Botriphnie in 1731 to Alexander Dey and Janet Bennet.

There is also a marriage of an Isobel Dey in Mortlach in 1756 to James Stuart. This couple had one son, Thomas, born in 1758. This could have been a previous marriage of the Isobel Dey who married Robert Green in 1760, or it could be a different Isobel Dey.

So we have marriages of at least two, and possibly three, different Isobel/Isabel/Isabella Deys and just one record of baptism of an Isabel Dey of the right age. Therefore there is at least one, possibly two, and perhaps even more, baptisms of Isobel Deys missing from the records.

I also looked at the Greens at one time. There was a John Lorimer, son of John Lorimer and Isobel Green, who left money to pay for the schooling of boys related to him in or near Mortlach. Several of the boys who applied for this bursary over the years were descended from James Burgess and Margaret Green. and the records of the applications all state what the applicant's relationship to the Lorimers and/or Greens was. I have the bones of a tree based on these applications, but I am not absolutely sure that it is correct.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline susan42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine
I have Grants from Banff, born in different parishes; Fordyce, Ordiquil, Keith. Don't know if there is a connection but would be interested to find out.

Susan 42

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 07 April 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
I think that the James Burgess who married Margaret Green is probably the one born in 1759, illegitimate son of Alexander Burgess and Isobel McInnes. There is, however, conflicting evidence of his death date, and no actual evidence to prove who he is, other than that he had a son Alexander and a daughter Isabella - though not in the traditional order, and of course his mother-in-law was also Isobel/Isabella.

Hi Forfarian and Kmanders,

James Burges and Margaret Green were my 4x Great Grandparents. This is what I have:

James Burges was baptised 22nd Oct 1759 in Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland. The OPR record states that he was the "natural son to Alexander Burges in Hillside & Isobel McInnes in Achnahandock". The sponsor was a James Burges - I can't make out where he was from, it looks like "Jlloreed"?

James is buried in Mortlach Kirkyard (M(O)179)  - from Libindx - but I have no date of death and there is no headstone to get further information from.
He married Margaret Green 20 Jun 1790 in Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland. She was baptised 16th Aug 1761 in Alnaboyle, Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland, daughter of Robert Green and Isabel Dey.

Children of James Burges and Margaret Green that I have found records for are:
   James Burges born 06 Mar 1792 in Alnaboyle, Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland
   Alexander Burges was born 30 May 1794 in Alnaboyle, Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland and died 25 Feb 1879 in Corsemaul, Glass, Aberdeenshire.
   Elizabeth Burges was bap 30 Apr 1796 in Alnaboyle, Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland
   Margaret Burges was born 1797 in Alnaboyle, Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland
   Isabella Burges was born 1799 in Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland
   Adam Burges was born 1802 in Alnaboyle, Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland

I'm a descendant of Alexander born 1794 who married Anne Stuart/Stewart.
I haven't been able to prove that Isobel Dey's parents were Alexander Dey and Janet Bennet.

Kmanders, If you would like to see my Burgess line, click on the link on the left - under my avatar- and put in the code Wilkie58.
Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 07 April 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine
I have Grants from Banff, born in different parishes; Fordyce, Ordiquil, Keith. Don't know if there is a connection but would be interested to find out.

Hi Susan42,
I'm afraid I haven't come across any Grants yet in my line from Fordyce, Ordiquil or Keith. My Grants mostly came from Mortlach. Sorry I can't be more of a help.
regards Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 07 April 14 23:16 BST (UK) »
James Burges and Margaret Green were my 4x Great Grandparents. This is what I have:
James Burges was baptised 22nd Oct 1759 in Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland. The OPR record states that he was the "natural son to Alexander Burges in Hillside & Isobel McInnes in Achnahandock". The sponsor was a James Burges - I can't make out where he was from, it looks like "Jlloreed"?

I have the same information - plus a note to the effect that I still need evidence to prove that the son of Alexander B and Isobel McInnes is in fact the James B who married Margaret Green, and not another James B whose baptism is not in the records.

I haven't been able to prove that Isobel Dey's parents were Alexander Dey and Janet Bennet.

You will see from my previous posting that that does not surprise me, because I don't believe that Robert Green's wife was the daughter of Alexander Dey and Janet Bennet.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline susan42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, Elaine. It was a long shot!

Susan 42

Offline Terry_R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

How much information to you have on the family?
Alexander (b1811) married Elizabeth JOSS (b circa 1815 Aberdeen) in 1840 at Old Machar, Aberdeen. They had 9 children -
Jean b circa 1842 Old Machar, Jane  b circa 1843 Old Machar, John b 1844 Gamrie, James b circa 1847 Gamrie, Robert b 1848 Gamrie, Isabella b 1850 Gamrie , Mary b 1855 Gamrie, William b 1859 Marnoch and Elizabeth b 1862 Marnoch.
The 1851 Census has the family living in Macduff. The 1861, 71 and 81 Census has them at Brokenfolds, Marnoch. Alexander's occupation - Master Mason.

I am researching my great grandmother Jessie Morrison born 1869 in Aberchirder to John Morrison (carpenter) and Jessie Fleming (domestic servant.)

In the 1871 census there is a Jessie Morrison listed as a niece living with Alexander Morrison (Jr) (The 1851 census shows there was also a son named Alexander in the family.) In the 1881 census Jessie is listed as a granddaughter living with Alexander (Sr).

I can't find a Jessie Morrison with the family in 1891 however by 1890 my great grandmother emigrated to Canada.

Do you have any information on the John Morrison in the family?

Thank you    Terry