Author Topic: My Banffshire Surnames  (Read 59135 times)

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: My Banffshire Surnames
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 April 07 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Filidh46,

Welcome to Rootschat.
I'm afraid that I haven't come across any Morrison's from Grange yet...mine were from Gamrie and Marnoch... There is an interesting thread on Murisons/Morrisons here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,19866.0.html

I have 2 Ogg's, Margaret, illegitimate daughter of Anne Archibald born 1852 in Glass. She had a son, John who according to the 1871 census was born about 1870 in Mortlach.

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Filidh46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 April 07 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

Thanks for your response. I was hoping for a break through with my Morrisons. I have one very elusive one. My 4 GGparent was a James Morrison married to a Hellen Reidford. One of their daughters, Agnes Morrison gave birth to an illigitimate child who was named Isabella Ogg / Morrison. I do have Isabella's birth certificate and have checked on the Census, but do you think I can find Agnes anywhere? I know from the IGI that James had several children , the eldest being an Ann born 1828. I have wondered if she is the elusive Agnes.

My James Morrison was born in Grange around 1798 and his father was John Morison (notice the different spelling) - John was married to Anna Longmoor.

I am also searching for any information on the TAYLOR Family from Speyside (Bellie) - my line. The family lived at Blackdam along with the Williamsons also lived at Redhall Cottages near Fochabers. Would be delighted if anyone could help me with some of the these connections.

Appreciate the help.

Regards,

Dubhglas
Moray - Taylor / Williamson / Robertson / Ogg / Hossack / Inglis
Banff - Morrison / Reidford / Ogg
Aberdeen - Watt / Willox

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 April 07 18:17 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline thechippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 July 07 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine, thats also a picture of my grannie, an she lived in a castle !!!!!.

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 July 07 22:27 BST (UK) »

Hi Elaine, thats also a picture of my grannie, an she lived in a castle !!!!!.

Blimey Chippy  :o

I remember a few daft folk who used to say that their/my granny lived in a castle ;D ;D ;D You've got to be a Brummy cousin but which one?

PM me and I'll give you my email address  8)

Elaine

Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 July 07 18:35 BST (UK) »
Chippy, if Elaine's granny Mabel is your granny, then you and I are also cousins.

PM me too please!

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 18:15 BST (UK) »
I have Dey/Fraser in Mortlach.Helen Dey c 1770 married Peter fraser 1790 in Mortlach.
Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Joette,

The Deys that I have are...

Anne Dey born about 1791. Her death certificate has her parents as Hugh Dey and Elizabeth Burgess but I haven't been able to find their marriage. The 1851 Census has her as aged 58 and born Mortlach, I've been unable to find her birth entry.

The other Dey that I have is Isabel Dey who married Robert Green on 11 Nov 1760 in Mortlach, I don't know anything else about her yet.

I haven't come across your Dey's but it might just be that they are connected somehow. Any notes that I might have made are unfortunately packed away at the moment...I'm decorating...but I'll have a look when I can  :)

Elaine
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 20:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry for intruding, but I was intrigued by the title of this thread...

Is there anyone out there who knows if the Davoch of Grange cemetery (which is located not far out with Keith on the Road to Banff) falls under the auspices of Morayshire or Banffshire/Aberdeenshire?

I am interested in finding out about transcriptions for that cemetery... The NorthEast Family Historical Society doe not appear to have any info on it.

If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.

Jak :-)

Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland