Author Topic: LIME WORKS AND QUARRIES  (Read 5564 times)

Offline alikelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LIME WORKS AND QUARRIES
« on: Sunday 20 February 05 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the whereabouts of Quarries and,Limeworks,in chapel en le firth,buxton,derbyshire.

Offline wilkipet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LIME WORKS AND QUARRIES
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 05 19:49 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather used to make millstonesthroughout the county but ofcoursehedied. However my soninlaw knows Buxton and quarries very well so i'll ask. Gerald
Wilkinson-farnham, fell-notts, Bolton-notts,Holmes-Derby's, yeomans-Derby's, shaw-Derby's. Davies-Glam, Tilling-Glos, Gibby, Harries-Pembrokeshire,Godley-Whitwell etc. coalminiing migration

Offline Sue Thomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 February 05 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Limestone quarries are mostly in Buxton + Harpur Hill area. Do you have a name? eg Topley Pike or Haslin?
O'Connell, Robinson, Conway, Cunningham (Liverpool and Ireland)
Smith, Vallis, Fry (Somerset), Horrocks (London), Neighbour (Bucks).
Lookup information is for personal research purposes only and is Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline alikelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 05 06:51 GMT (UK) »
hi,
I don't have a name all i knew is that they where born in Chapthe el en le firth,and lived in buxton.Dont know much about area?They were quarry worker/lime worker.

Offline Sue Thomas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Ok alikelly
If they were living in Chapel-en-le-frith the nearest quarries would be a couple of miles away in Doveholes. These are Holderness and Newline quarries and limeworks. This would be walkable I guess.
If they had then moved to Buxton itself they would be within easy access of a now disused quarry in Ashwood Dale and Tunstead and Topley Pike. If they lived south of the town then the quarries at Harpur hill (now disused)are a possibility and Hillhead. A mile or so further at Earl Sterndale there are Hindlow(quarry) and Dowlow(Limeworks). Transport to collect workers may have been available then as now although I suspect they took the form of carts!!
When are we talking about?
Regards
Sue
O'Connell, Robinson, Conway, Cunningham (Liverpool and Ireland)
Smith, Vallis, Fry (Somerset), Horrocks (London), Neighbour (Bucks).
Lookup information is for personal research purposes only and is Crown Copyright from National Archives