Author Topic: Marriage Certificate Deciphering Help COMPLETED, THANKS  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Marriage Certificate Deciphering Help COMPLETED, THANKS
« on: Tuesday 28 April 09 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

First post in the deciphering forum so I hope my images are ok.  I was wondering if some of the deciphering experts could help me with the handwriting on the marriage certificate below - it seems quite clear but I just can't work a lot of it out.

I've managed to glean "On the thirty first day of December 1888 at ?hill Parish of Motherwell ....???..... according to the forms of the ? Church of Scotland" from the first column

I think I can read most of the second column but the word next to George's name and next to X Mark are difficult.  Are the witnesses named as Andrew and George Walker?

I can't decipher George's residence but I think Mary's is Newarthill.  Similarly I can't decipher Mary's profession but I think George is a miner.

The most important part I can't understand is the parent's names: William Gourlie and Ann ? and James? McMurdo and ??.

The final column I think says "The Rev David Laughland? ?? Church ?hill and then I think it has George Walker and James McMurdo as witnesses.

Any help greatly appreciated - especially with the mother's maiden names.  Thanks.

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Certificate Deciphering Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle,

I think the first part says:

"On the thirty first day of December 1888 at Newarthill Parish of Bothwell Marriage after Banns was solemnized [???] in according to the forms of the U.P. [United Presbyterian] Church of Scotland"

I'm not certain about the year . . . could be 1853, but I guess you have other evidence for the date.

Still working on the rest . . . .

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for that - initially I thought it said Motherwell as Newarthill seems to be in or near Motherwell from maps but I guess back then it could have been in Bothwell.  Bothwell does look much more likely. 

As for the year it is down in the records as 1859 but it seems that the marriage was registered on the 3rd of Jan 1859 so it must be 31st Dec 1858. The ironic thing is that this is at least the 3rd or 4th Hogmanay wedding I've found in my family (including my grandparents!)  Thanks for the help.

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 19:43 BST (UK) »
I think (again) that:

George's signature says, "Signed George Gourlie His X Mark", though I'm not sure about the squiggle before "His". The witnesses are as you say.

Ann's occupation seems to be "Tambourer", as in Embroidery

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
mothers' maiden names: Anne Johnstone, Hellen Laurie Pelligrew (?)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
You beat me to it Mike - I was feeling really pleased with myself too!

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
Is the father's job Engine Keeper?

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 20:06 BST (UK) »
You beat me to it Mike - I was feeling really pleased with myself too!

That makes a change, I'm usually the one beaten to the draw . . .  but 2 heads are better than one . . . I wasn't certain til you confirmed them.  :)

I agree about the Engine Keeper. Probably the winding engine at the mine, do you think?

To round this off, George's residence looks like Carfin, which is near Newarthill.

Mike.

Online Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
1858, and I think the name of the bride's mother is Pettigrew.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland