Author Topic: Joe Wade  (Read 15933 times)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Wade
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 May 09 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara, Allan

Isn't that always the way, Barbara.  Always the one you just missed!

So he may well have been in the Braithwaite area.  That would have been registered as Cockermouth.

Yes, if you could run to the odd certificate, that would help, and there may be an announcement in the Keswick Reminder, or whatever it was at the time.

If I get to the library before you get any more on the death though, I'll look in The Cumberland Pacquet deaths for that quarter.  It won't be the next couple of days though..

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 09:35 BST (UK) »
There's talk of reinstating the railway from Penrith but only as far as Keswick so we won't ever have the joy of peering out the window looking for Bishops Rock just after Portinscale. Trouble is I think it might remain just that - talk.
bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Thanks everyone you are so helpful. I am sure that is him Barbara.  I have a photograph of Joe with my aunt and my mother said she (auntie) was about 10 when it was taken, she was born in 1941 and I was born in 1958 and I know Joe died in that period, that probably makes the photo one of the last taken of him.

Bob, they have been talking about reinstating the Keswick to Penrith railway line for decades and as you say it will probably just remain talk, damn Beeching.  Some of my earliest childhood memories are of the Braithwaite to Keswick railway journey, catching the train from my home in Braithwaite and being met at Keswick by my paternal grand father. One of my schoolfriends fathers (Harvey Bowe) was a signalman and I remember pulling the heavy levers in the signal box to change the signals.  I lived in Braithwaite from birth to about 7 years old, 'halcyon days'. 

Postlethwaite, Dalton in Furness Lancashire, Williamson, Birkett, Grave in Keswick Cumberland, Holmes, in Stavely, Westmorland.  Also Robinson and McDowell Keswick, Cumberland and Ireland.

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 16:26 BST (UK) »
Apologies,

Joe Wade and his wife owned Swinside Lodge not the Derwent Lodge, Swinside Lodge was in the Newlands Valley
Postlethwaite, Dalton in Furness Lancashire, Williamson, Birkett, Grave in Keswick Cumberland, Holmes, in Stavely, Westmorland.  Also Robinson and McDowell Keswick, Cumberland and Ireland.

Offline Postlethwaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you all for your help, especially Emms, Barbara, Bob and Geoff.  Unfortunately I have had to remove some info regarding the Wade family to protect certain interests.  However, I really do want to thank you for helping me to find out about my Grandfather Inow have his date of birth, his date of death, where he lived and what he did for a living (well up until 1911).  I have found other people researching my Grandfather and can now trace his family back to 1700.

Incidentally the latest census had him living in Penrith working as a fishmongers assistant.

Any ideas how I can trace him after 1911?  I know he bought the Swinside Lodge, Newlands Valley with an inheritance from his father after 1919.

Thanks again.

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan

Thank you for explaining.  Looks like we've still quite a bit to go on though.

Fancy him being a fishmonger in Penrith too!

How about looking for a will, if this really was an inheritance?

Cumbria record office have them all on film and an index.  I can't get up at the moment, but you could try emailing them.

They're also at York - I'll look for an address, but I think they may be on line now.

Also, have you checked if there's a WW1 entry on National Archives?

There will be electoral registers in the record office , possibly Keswick library.

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Conor Bowe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile