Author Topic: Cemetery look up - Elmers End Cemetery  (Read 14218 times)

Offline Vea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cemetery look up - Elmers End Cemetery
« on: Saturday 02 May 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone lives close to the Elmers End Cemetery and would like to check out a grave for me .  My Grandfather is buried there in grave no 21575 Plot Q10.  His name is Henry William Bailey.  Don't know if there is a head stone on the grave but I am hoping there is with his DOB on it. I believe he is buried with his wife who remarried after he died . Her name would be Beatrice Maude Walker on the head stone.

Val

Busselton Western Australia
Henry William Bailey
Cornelius Charles Carpenter
Eliza Reeves
Surgical instrument makers
Victorian London

Offline borntobounce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery look up - Elmers End Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 June 09 16:17 BST (UK) »
I would suggest you go to findagrave.com

I looked up the cemetery and here's what it is listed as on Findagrave:
Beckenham Cemetery and Crematorium
Also known as: Beckenham Crematorium & Cemetery, Elmers End Cemetery

Below is a link direct to this cemetery through findagrave.com.  You can create a memorial for your family member and once that is done you can click on the button that says REQUEST A PHOTO.  Volunteers in that area will go to that cemetery, find the grave and take a photo of it if there is a stone and then they will post it on the memorial you created.  Make sure you set up your profile to notify you when a photo has been posted to your memorials.  If you need help figuring out how to do this ... just send me all the information and I'll be happy to post it on your behalf.  I've had lots of success here in the US getting photos of family stones all around the country.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=1961414&CScn=elmers+end+cemetery&CScntry=5&

Shelly

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 09 08:53 BST (UK) »
Val,
I am off there today will take a look for you. I have my camera at the ready. Fingers crossed.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/06wz/
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 09 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Irret

I look forward to hearing from you with some good news

Vea
Henry William Bailey
Eliza Reeves
Victorian London

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 August 09 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Vea,
I went into the office and found it    ;D ;D ;D
Do you want to send me a private message, click on the green schroll to do this and give me your email address it will not show to all and I can send you the photos. Have you got any further with your search? as I could possibly find you his marriage and birth, even find him on census if we are lucky.
 :) ;) :D ;D
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 August 09 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Vea,
Can you let me know if Beatrice maiden name was indeed Walker? or was that her second marriage surname?

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 August 09 12:32 BST (UK) »
Just playing around now. Did Henry and Beatrice have a daughter named  Ethel M Bailey? Another name that comes up in the mix is Henry W Bailey?

Offline Vea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Irret

Have sent you my personal email address.

Beatrice 's maiden name was Carpenter, first she married William Alfred Earing then when he died in 1911 she married Henry William  Bailey in 1915. After he died in 1949 she married Harry Walker not sure when.

Ethel Maud Bailey was my mother she was one of 12 children of whom 9 survived.

Henry was in the Army but I cant find his records - I am thinking they must have been amongst those lost in the 2nd world war bombing of London - shame.

Family stories go that he was in the guards at Buck House before the first world war but I havent been able to find out anything about him.  He was one of the guards that wore the bearskin hats.  Story goes he lost an eye from the cleaning fluid used to clean the equipment.

looking forward to hearing from you

Vea
Henry William Bailey
Eliza Reeves
Victorian London

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 10:55 BST (UK) »
That fits with what I have found.
It looks like Beatrice may have married three times, I could be wrong but will jot down what I have found.
A marriage 1906
Beatrice Maud M Carpenter/William Alfred Earing

A death 1911 William A Earing

A marriage 1915
Henry W Bailey/ Beatrice MM Earing.

A marriage 1951 Beatrice MM Bailey/ Walker