Author Topic: HETHERINGTON / NOBLE and DEVERE families - Fermanagh  (Read 12621 times)

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HETHERINGTON / NOBLE and DEVERE families - Fermanagh
« on: Sunday 03 May 09 11:00 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone may be able to help me try and find some information relating to the HETHERINGTON, NOBLE and /or DEVERE families in Fermanagh.

What I know is that:

My 3x great-grandfather Noble HETHERINGTON was born in approx 1803 to Francis HETHERINGTON and his wife, Susanna NOBLE. I believe there may have been at least two other children:  Eliza born in 1808 and Jane in 1814, both in Ballindoulagh.

Noble married Jane DEVERE (DENNING??) and had at least 6 children. Francis was born in approx 1825 in Derrynanny, John in approx 1829 in Ballindoulagh, Thomas in approx 1833, Ann in approx 1835, Mary in approx 1836 and George in approx 1839.

I believe that Jane died in 1861 in Relagh. Soon after this Noble migrated to Australia and lived there (with Thomas, Ann, Mary and George) until his death in 1873.

I am very interested to know anything about Noble, his parents, siblings and children in Ireland. In particular his two sons, Francis and John, who did not travel to Australia.

Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sandra

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HETHERINGTON / NOBLE and DEVERE families - Fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 09 12:26 BST (UK) »
Sandra,
           You are looking for information from a period well before Civil records were kept so you will have to rely on church records. Having said that the name NOBLE is very unusual so I did a check and found that a Noble Hetherington married Elizabeth Lunny in Cleenish Church of Ireland, Enniskillen on 6 May 1856. He is not yours but there is a very good chance that he is connected especially if one considers Irish naming patterns.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 09 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thank-you kingskerswell. I am sure you are right and there is some family connection.

Would you know how I go about checking the church records, considering that I live in Australia and have to rely on either the internet or people doing searches on my behalf? Are the records housed in one repository that I could write to or are they scattered?

Thanks,
Sandra

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 09 23:35 BST (UK) »
To find church records in Ireland you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland not just the county) and then check to see if the church records exist for the period you want.
Some records have been microfilmed and are available at PRONI, Belfast and some microfilmed at available (either in stock or to order) from your local LDS library. Others remain in local custody and this involves contacting the church to see if there is access and if anyone is available to check the records for you.
You can check LDS catalogue online: www.familysearch.org
There's also some links under Fermanagh Church Records here:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,366887.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 May 09 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey,

I will take some time to investigate these sites.

Sandra

Offline jrg_from_oz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 10:46 BST (UK) »
Sandra, I see that Noble HETHERINGTON arrived in Sydney aboard the "Spitfire" 24 Aug 1863. He was aged 59. 

Noble is supposedly buried in the Gerringong cemetery although he doesn't appear in the list of headstones extant in the mid-1980s.

I have quite a bit on this family if you would like to contact me off-list. (*)

John

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline noble3992

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 August 10 03:01 BST (UK) »
I am Noble Hetherington III, descendant of Noble and Elizabeth (Lunney), of Fermanagh.
They moved from Fermanagh to Hamilton Scotland shortly before 1870 where my great-grandfather George was born.  George bore Noble, Noble bore Noble, Noble bore me.

Noble, the elder, was son of Christopher and Mary, neither of whose birth records I can locate, nor can I locate their marriage or death records.

Do any of you have info on this line?

Moderator's Note: photo removed as it was too wide

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 September 10 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Noble,

From the information I have, my g-g-g-grandfather, Noble's parents were Francis Hetherington and Susanna Noble. I believe Francis was born around 1767 in Fermanagh ans Susanna around 1779.  I asumed that Noble was named such, after his mother's maiden name.

Whilst I don't know of any connection, it would seem quite possible given the quite distinctive christian name of Noble.

I have found baptism records for 2 other children of Franis and Susanna: Eliza - 1808 and Jane - 1814.  It is quite possible - and most likely - that there were other children but I have not yet come across them.

I don't know if any of this connects with what you know but I would be interested in hearing back from you.

Regards,
Sandra

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
I am interested in any information on Hetherington as I have Hurst and Hetherington in my family . Mary Hetherington was born 1796 in Co Fermanagh and died in 1861.She married William Hurst of Mullyknock and had 6 children. Grace married a William Noble .