Author Topic: Dawson  (Read 34700 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Dawson
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 May 09 21:41 BST (UK) »
Graham, Linda Hodgkiss worked in the Archives at Lincoln. I understand she has now left. The basis of the talk was a very large intertwined tree in central Lincolnshire in the mid 19th century, Dawson being only one of many surnames involved.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 30 May 09 08:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you I have explained this to Lincoln Archives - they gave me a contact e-mail but alas it does not work.  The archives assistant thought it was something she had done herself in private research.  It is a shame the person I contacted did not enquire more thoroughly from other member of staff unless they are all new from 4 years ago!  [I worked for 12 years in a County Record Office so I know how things can change] though not the records of course.
Will let you know if I strike gold.  They wanted a reference for the document of course.

Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 May 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
Graham, It is possible that this work was done in her dinner hour etc. As it was subsequentlly presented at a public lecture I think it unlikely it was a private commission.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 01 June 09 23:11 BST (UK) »
At least he's got 2 now! No doubt he'll tell us which one works!
Lincolnshire_Archive seems to be the link that worked for e-mail folks.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 08 June 09 13:32 BST (UK) »
My husband's tree has Dawsons from Tilbrook in Bedfordshire, one of which is a William Samuel Dawson (b1859) married to Emily Hillson in 1887.  The children we have are Herbert Samuel (m Lizzie Clarke) and Maud Emily b 1890.  Is there any link to them?
More info is available on those Dawson on http://www.antill.org.uk

Weston/Wesson, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire & Leicestershire
Merriman - Stanford on Soar, Canada & Australia
Antill and Wood-Antill, in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, Caernarfonshire, Canada & New Zealand
Bamford, Northamptonshire & Derbyshire
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Ferguson - Ireland and Devon
Bamford
Newbold
Dobie - Dumfriesshire & Co Durham
Jones, incl Broster Jones and Tyzack Jones
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 08 June 09 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Mareanna, I have checked my Dawson data base, and have no trace of either William Samuel or Herbert Samuel Dawson.A common surname used as a forename by my Dawsons was Cartwright, having 5 instances of the name as either a first or second Christian name. My Dawsons lived in the Mablethorpe and Wainfleet areas of Lincolnshire, but this is not to say that there is no connection, just that I don't have it. Some other researcher might well be able to give you a link; however, as you will be aware Dawson is a common surname, the website of the Office of National Statistics states that there were 45762 Dawsons in England and Wales in 2002, and that it is the 128th most frequent surname in the country. Hope this helps.
Roger

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 08 June 09 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  It always pays to ask, every now and then we make a big breakthrough.
Slightly off-beat, my mother had Dawson as a middle name, family talk is that it was in recognition of a person with that name helping her father during the first world war (when he was a prisoner of war).
Weston/Wesson, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire & Leicestershire
Merriman - Stanford on Soar, Canada & Australia
Antill and Wood-Antill, in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, Caernarfonshire, Canada & New Zealand
Bamford, Northamptonshire & Derbyshire
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Ferguson - Ireland and Devon
Bamford
Newbold
Dobie - Dumfriesshire & Co Durham
Jones, incl Broster Jones and Tyzack Jones
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline Dunholm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ernest Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 11:03 BST (UK) »
Can I join the Dawson 'clan'?

Benjamin Dawson  born 1854 Kirton, Boston, Lincoln
Son of
 William Dawson born 1820 and Martha once lived
Fismore End  Boston, Kirton-in-Holland
William aged 20yrs was living at a pub called Black Bull
Boston & Holbeach, working as farm labourer.

Anna  X

Wilson, Sunderland
McIntosh, Morayshire  Texas,
Dawson,  Lincs Sunderland
McDonald,  New Bruinswick, Sunderland
Worthington, Sunderland
Parker

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Dunholm, and welcome to the club! As you will know there are a lot of Dawson's in Lincolnshire. Whether they are all connected is another matter. Though I originate in Boston, I have never heard of Fismore End, I googled it and found the only ref in Ludlow Shrops.Do you, or any other Roots chatter have any further info on it please?