Author Topic: Dawson  (Read 34701 times)

Offline ruthy1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dawson
« on: Sunday 03 May 09 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help. I am researching a William Thompson Dawson who was born in Leverton, Linconshire approx 1771 (and died in 1844 in Boston), and was married to a Mary (I think this may have been a second marriage).  His children that I have found so far are Penelope baptized in 1817, and Charles 1812 (who married Theodosia North in 1838 and from this point on I have information) - I think there might be a Catherine and others.

I am keen to discover any information about him / parents / children and any brothers / sisters.  I would like to get to the Lincs record office, but live a long way from it and will be unable to go soon, so I thought I would inquire here just on the offchance that anyone had any information.

Many thanks

Ruthy

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Dawson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruthy,

According to the record on the IGI Penelope's parents are William Thompson
Dawson and Penelope.

There are 5 other baptisms  listed of  children with the same parents:

Robert Horner Dawson      14 July 1813
Catharine Ann Dawson      14 March  1815
Joseph Winter Dawson       28 May 1818
George Dawson                 27 July 1819
Eleanor Dawson                 30 Dec  1820 

All at Great and Little Hale, Lincoln.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruthy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 09 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi nanny Jan,

Many thanks for this, this is really helpful. 

The Horner name is interesting because this also appears as a middle name in the next generation so helps with confirmation.  I had got Penelope down as the mother, (she might have had a maiden name of Horner or Winter too ) but crossed out - I can't think why I did that, and in the 1841 census a couple of the children Catharine, Penelope, Joseph & Eleanor appear but with a mother Mary - so I assume William married twice.

Do you think there may be earlier children? William was about 68 when he died in 1844.  I am interested to know if there is a William G Dawson who was also born in Great Hale around 1806 (and had a daughter called Penelope) and I wonder if he would be linked.

Many thanks again for your help.

Ruthy

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Again from the IGI (http://www.familysearch.org).

Children of William George Dawson and Ann:

William Thompson Dawson      2 Mar 1833
Penelope Anne         "            11 Oct 1834
Edward Thomas       "             17 Aug 1836
Robert Walus            "             7 Apr   1838
Richard Henry           "            30 Oct  1839
Charles Richardson   "            18 June 1841
George Watson         "            10 Feb 1843
Catharine Mary          "           16 Sep  1844

All christenings at Great and Little Hale, Lincoln.

William George Dawson   20 Sep 1805 at Great & Little Hale, Lincoln.

Parents:  Wm Thompson Dawson & Penelope

With same parents at Great & Little Hale, Lincoln:

Edward John           22 Aug 1804
Richard Henry            4 Oct 1806
John Watson           21 Nov  1807
Catharine Ann         16 Mar 1809
Martha Rebecca        4 June 1810

Nanny Jan

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
William Thompson DAWSON married Penelope WATSON at Great Hale 1804. (in my Lincs marriage index)

William George DAWSON married Anne Richardson 3 April 1832 at Stixwold.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 May 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
 The Dawson family in Lincolnshire are part of a gigantic tree of inter-related families covering much of central rural Lincolnshire. A talk about this was given to Doncaster FHS about 4 years ago. I am connected to this tree twice, and in the mid 19th century, the period concerned, my family had lived in Lincolnshire for less than 50 years. In view of this I have many Dawsons in my trees through a second marriage connection, and in particular have a George North who married Elizabeth Dawson (1878-1975) so in view of the tangled web of connections I wonder if these people connect to your Theodosia North though I am aware Dawson is a very common name in Lincolnshire.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline ruthy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 May 09 19:05 BST (UK) »
Wow, all of this is absolutely fantastic.!! It's like a jigsaw that has all finally fallen into place! 

My partner is Ian Dawson whose Great Grandfather was William Homer (Horner) North Dawson a son of Charles Dawson and Theodosia North.  I had been getting in a muddle with a Penelope Ann Dawson who married into the Dunkerly family (Ship owners in Hull). I now know it was the Penelope Anne, daughter of William George, NOT the next generation down Penelope Ann the daughter of Charles & Theodosia.

This is all very fascinating. I am also keen to see how your tree links into Ian's Redroger.  His grandfather was Charles who lived in Manchester and married an Elizabeth Orme.  Let me know if I can help with any names from our side.

Thank you all once again.

Ruthy

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 May 09 14:39 BST (UK) »
The earliest Dawson that I have recorded Ruthy is Thomas  Dawson (1789-1854), and his wife Ann Cartwright (1782-1824). They had 6 known children, the sons were Cartwright, Lubion and Elon, and the daughters Sarah, Georgina and Harriett. They lived much of the time at Great Steeping, which appears accroding to the map to be less than 5 miles from Leverton. My family gets into the Dawson tree through a second marriage, Susannah Hudson (1823-1905) married Cartwright (1820-1860) with whom she had 10 known children.After his death she married my relative William Luffman with whom she had a further three children at least. If you would like a GEDCOM of this tree please send me an email address through a personal message, and I'll forward it on.
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 May 09 14:44 BST (UK) »
Ruthy; Further thoughts William Thompson Dawson was according to the information you have posted approx 18 at the time of Thomas Dawson's birth in 1789, could have been his father. Do you have any evidence? I have a fascinating and amazing story that I will share later on by pm or email.