Author Topic: Dawson  (Read 34802 times)

Offline ruthy1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dawson
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 May 09 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger,  Interesting info - I will send my email  - very curious about the story. Unfortunately I am not yet able to read the Gedcom files - I was just looking into it today to see what I need to do (I need to check that I can get something that works with a Mac)......

I have now established that William Thompson Dawson married in 1804 (posted here earlier in the thread)  The first known child seems to be Edward John baptised in Aug 1804. William and his wife went on to have 12 further children that I can see, and none of them were called Thomas.  Williams parents were John Dawson and Ann Thompson.  John Dawson was baptised in 1742 had had an older brother John (born 1739 & died 1741)who died in infancy, and a sister Mary born in 1777. This is all I have found so far re siblings. It is possible that there were more and (a Thomas....)  All the births are in Great Hale and seem fairly well routed there.  I should think that there will be a link somewhere although I can't see it yet.

This Dawson net is huge!!

Ruthy

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruthy, I have despatched the GEDCOM, you may of course already have it. My knowledge of Macs is virtually nil, but the little I know is that it is possible to emulate a Windows installation in most Mac systems. In case you didn't know this means your Mac would run a Windows installation as a program. The Legacy is quite versatile and will run in most windows systems, so if you didn't have a windows version available and didn't want to spend, I am sure you could get Windows 98 either free or extremely cheaply.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 May 09 14:52 BST (UK) »
As soon as you can talk to Linda Hodgkiss at the Lincolnshire Record Office about the Dawson family in Lincolnshire. They are part of a gigantic tree of inter-related families covering much of central rural Lincolnshire. Refer to a talk about this she gave to Doncaster FHS about 4 years ago.

Redroger, Nanny Jan or Geoff E.  My Dawsons were in Swineshead, Samuel b. (probably Kirton-in-Holland) 1732 = Esther Leighton in 1812 died 1879 was Tinman, farmer and Sexton at Swineshead.  had daughter Esther. = my ancestor William Barlow [of Kirkby La Thorpe] at Swineshead.   Do you think they would fit onto the Linda Hodgkiss tree perhaps?
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 14:46 BST (UK) »
Very likely Graham, Swineshead in not far at all from the area to the South East of Lincoln where from memory the bulk of the tree was concentrated. My connections were 40 miles away at Great Limber for the Fanthorpes, and at Great Steeping for the Dawsons. I believe that many of these relationships started at the Hiring fairs, which took place in the various market towns, and if nothing else served the useful purpose of mixing up the gene pool. So 40, 50  miles really counts for nothing, if your two ancestors met at a fair at a central location.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Redroger.  Perhaps I can e-mail Lincoln Record Office to see if they can tell me whether my ancestors feature on the Tree.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Leics. Vincent

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 16:04 BST (UK) »
Their email address in case you don't have it is: archive@lincolnshire.gov.uk

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 16:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you RedRoger I have e-mailed them just now.  Thanks for info.
Graham
Leics. Vincent

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 16:43 BST (UK) »
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 17:02 BST (UK) »
I posted what it says on the back of my readers ticket!