Author Topic: Dawson  (Read 34694 times)

Offline 1.james.dawson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dawson
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 04 January 15 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I pulled up the 1861 census record for Great Steeping and found Susannah Dawson widowed as the Head of household, 9 Children living with her, her Brother, and 3 servants. Susannah's occupation was Farmer so she must have ran the farm after her husbands passing. I still feel I have much more information to uncover, but it certainly has kept me on the edge of my seat.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 05 January 15 11:54 GMT (UK) »
1871 shows her as farmer's wife again, the farm now owned by my kinsman William Luffman. This situation was really iniquitious
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline 1.james.dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 05 January 15 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm getting ready to do an AncestryDNA test. I'm kind of excited to see if this helps uncover any unknown information or get me in touch with people who possibly have more history to share on these topics. I was astonished to find that both of my paternal and maternal grandfathers (Dawson & Fillingham) were both rooted in Lincolnshire, and ultimately ended up near the same place thousands of miles across the globe here in Michigan. Specifically, because their travels were so much different. However, both were farmers, and perhaps Michigan's farmland supported their crops in a way that was similar to that of Lincolnshire.

Offline 1.james.dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 23 January 15 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone in this thread use Ancestry.com by chance?

Offline Jade Dawson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

My name is Jade. No blood relation to the Dawson name but my husband Andrew Dawson's family spans 9 generations to a Thomas dawson who was born in 1735 in Lincolnshire. We believe he was probably working class living in a very rural part of Lincolnshire, of course. He came to America docking in Easton/Annapolis, Maryland. He was most likely already married to a Mary before he arrived to the states, very early around the age of 18, since his firstborn George was born when he was 18-19. Cool! Right? But I'm thinking, although he was very ambitious to come to the states, much of that ambition seemed to have ended once Thomas came to the US. I'm sure working conditions were very hard. We have yet to find any record of Thomas living in queen Ann Maryland, as a result. he most likely worked very hard, yet most likely had little to no possessions or money. I believe they were most likely fairly poor. It seems the people that had more records were the ones that owned servants, property, land, and had more assets overall to speak of. These people tended to have money that followed them from England to the states. I have a feeling my Andrew's Thomas, most likely came here with barely a penny to his name.  You can find us in the Thomas Dawson family tree closed Facebook page. Although, turns out that Thomas is not from Lincolnshire. Still, we are in that group should you have more questions! Thank you

Jade

Offline MichaelRD

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 13 November 17 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

New to this forum, came across it completely by chance yesterday whilst looking for information on my family. Quite excited by this thread; long story short but I recently moved to the US from UK and my mum happened to mention in passing that we have family here and she believed them to be in Michigan... I am a direct descendant of William Thompson Dawson from Lincolnshire, he was my Great, Great Grandfather (I think). My understanding is that he was my Great Grandmother's  (Elizabeth) father and she had William (Bill) who was of course my grandad. Roy is my father and grew up in Leverton, Lincs before the family moved to Wigan, Lancashire when he was about 13 and that's where we've been ever since. Obviously there are more branches than this (I know Elizabeth had siblings, as did grandad and my father) but without going into more detail that is where my tie to William Thompson Dawson come in.

I know this is an old thread but if anyone is still on here and has made any progress or would like to get in touch with me I'd love to get involved and see where we're up to. Of course I'd also like to connect with family as there are only a handful of us Wigan Dawsons left now!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 18:36 GMT (UK) »
When was your William born please?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)