Author Topic: george elliott, trellech  (Read 2348 times)

Offline marshalldingle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
george elliott, trellech
« on: Sunday 03 May 09 14:25 BST (UK) »
hi,

i'm currently researching my family history and i'm looking for more information regarding my g uncle who was killed in WW1.  Does any one have any details of a local war memorial/plaque  in the trellech area.  his details are as follows,

george elliott
son of james and mary jane elliott
royal welsh fusiliers, 2nd battalion
died 1/1/1917

the family lived in trellech and catbrook between 1860-1920.

thankyou in advance.

Kate

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: george elliott, trellech
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
I recently found a whole lot of info about my grandfather who served in India, he also enlisted in The Terratorials at the beginning of the First World War.  The info is available with Ancestry.uk.com. so I had a look for your George Elliott.

His details must be there somewhere, but all I found was
George Elliott age 23 Royal Welsh Fuseliers, 2nd battalion
1st January 1917.  Died of wounds.

Army number 17721, and then says born Cwmcarn.

I've looked at FreeBMD and as far as I can see your George is the only George Elliott who's birth is registered in 1895. 
George James Elliott in fact, Jan-Mar qtr 1895 Monmouth.
He may have moved to Cwmcarn.

In the 1901 census he is with his family on the Devauden side of Trelleck (Newchurch East) The middle name is his fathers name as I'm sure you'll know.  I'll see what else I can find out in the army records.

He appears in the medals roll of honour, I think he was awarded 2 medals
Victory Medal  roll J/2/102B7 page 2120
British Medal under the same entry.

fred

Offline marshalldingle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,

Thank you so much for the information, that really helped. 

Kate.

Offline warresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 14 21:52 GMT (UK) »
17721 Private George James Elliott 2nd Battalion Royal Welch Fusiliers.

In 1891 the Elliott family are living at Whitelye (Whiteleigh) Trelleck.

Head of the household is James Elliott (born Trelleck 1856) he is a general labourer and is married to Mary Jane Elliott (Nee Parker), (born Trelleck 1857). They married in the 2nd quarter of 1885 at Monmouth. They have 3 children, Sarah Ann Elliott age 5. Florry Elliott age 3  and Susannah Elliott age 1.  Florry and Susannah were baptised at Trellech Church on 15th February 1891.

George James is not born at Trellech until the 1st quarter of 1895.

In 1911 George age 16, is a servant at Nex Farm, Devauden the farm of John Campbell James's and his brother William James. farm at Devauden.

His father as died as his mother is now  a widow and living AT Veddow, Devauden. She has Sarah Ann living at home, age 25, and single, but working as a Government Letter Carrier. A son Thomas Elliott is at home aged 14, (born Trelleck 21st January 1897) as is his brother William Elliott, age 12 (born Trelleck 1899). Thomas was baptised at Trellech Church on 22nd February 1897. There is one sister Emily age 8, (born Trelleck 1903). The Elliott family had 9 children by 1911 one of whom had died.

George leaves servant work to join up. He joined the Infantry Base Depot Royal Welsh Fusiliers, enlisting at Newport. He became 1721 Private George Elliott

He was then transferred to 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

The last battle for the 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers in 1917 was on November 18th when the British advance north and south of the Ancre in heavy rain and reach the outskirts of Grandcourt. The operations end and the Battle of the Somme is over.

It is presumed that he was injured at this and lingered on until New Years Day 1917. He died in France and Flanders on New Years Day 1917, age 22, from wounds sustained in action.

He was reburied at Etaples Military Cemetery in August 1918.

His Headstone was inscribed "Thy Will Be Done" at the request of the mother and a central cross on the stone.

His parents were living at The Feddw (Veddow) - (this probably means Birches), Devauden.

He was awarded the British War Medal and the British Victory Medal, these awards are confirmed in the medal roll of the 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers on 2nd October 1920.

He is said to have been born at Cwmcarvan but in the census of 1900 and 1911 he is born in Trelleck so I think the SDGW is a mistake although Cwmcarvan is just up on the hill from Trelleck.
Trellech War Dead, Penallt war Dead and War Dead of Pontypridd Boys Grammar School.

Barrage Balloon activity in WWII See

www.bbrclub.org.