Author Topic: Fortunes of Wexford  (Read 17467 times)

Offline Grumbles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fortunes of Wexford
« on: Monday 04 May 09 13:57 BST (UK) »
I know this is a long shot, but I'm trying to find out about the Fortune family of Wexford but have no idea where to look.

My 3rd great grandfather was a Nicholas Fortune born c1836 Wexford.  I have been unable to locate him in the 1841 and 1851 census returns but he married Jane Young in Pembrokeshire, Wales in June 1856.  It appears he made the move between Ireland and Wales between 1851 and 1856 and his occupation listed on his marriage certificate is "Malitia Man" and his residence is the barracks at Pembroke Dock.  Obviously enlisted in some sort of army????  His father is listed as an Edward Fortune - occupation Farmer.  Nicholas and Jane were married in the registry office.

Does anyone have any idea how I could go about find out more information on this family?

Thanks.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fortunes of Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 10:46 BST (UK) »
My user name came from a Nicholas Fortune.  He married my gt.aunt and he was always refered to as Rattler Fortune.  There are lots of Fortunes still in Wexford Town and Nicholas is a name that runs through the generations.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 19:13 BST (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farrel)
(Fortune New Ross 1901)

Cross lane; (14)
Fortune Ellen, John, Patrick, Michael, James, Eliza.
(20)
Fortune Eliza, Patrick,

South st; (73)
Fortune William & Mary; John, James, mary. (shopkeeper)

William st; (22)
Fortune  James & Kate; Eliza, John, Bridget, Margaret.

Cross lane (10)
Fortune William & Ellen; John, Patrick,, Michael, James

Mary st (61)
Fortune William & Mary; John, James. (clerk)

Nunnery lane (17)
Fortune Patrick & Lizzie; Mary, Patrick, John.

William st (24)
Fortune James & Kate; Eliza, John, Bridget, James, Kate, Anne. Patrick

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 20:13 BST (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farrell)
(Fortune Enniscorthy 1901;)

Church st lower (6)
Fortune William, Nicholas, Mary, Thomas, Joseph, Teresa, William, (building contractor)

Drumgold;
Fortune William.

New st (12)
Fortune Nicholas & Charlotte; James, Nicholas, William, John, Mary (plasterer)

Shannon Hill (38)
Fortune Patrick,Mary.
(43)
Fortune Kate, Patrick, James, Kate

Tomnalossett
Fortune James & Margaret; Margaret, Catherine.

Church st lower (7)
Fortune William & Mary; Patrick, Josephine, Agnus, James, (contractor)

Drumgold;
Fortune William

Friary place (9)
Fortune Anne, Lizzie. (dressmaker)

Maudlin's Folly (13)
Fortune James, Edward.

New st (55)
Fortune Nicholas & Charlotte; Nicholas, James, Mary, William, John (contractor)

Templeshannon-rural (30)
Fortune  Patrick & Elizabeth; James, Patrick
(34)
Fortune Kate

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 20:24 BST (UK) »
 From the Wexford War Dead to be published in November;

FORTUNE, JAMES. Rank: Second Mate. Regiment or Service: Mercantile Marine. Unit: S. S. "Adela" ( Dublin ). Age at Death: 55. Date of Death: 27-December-1917. Torpedoed by German Submarine U-100 on her way from Dublin to Liverpool. 24 crew lost. Supplementary information; Son of the late Christopher and Mary Fortune; husband of Mary Anne Fortune ( nee Kane ) of 8, Hasting St, Ringsend, Dublin. Born at Courtown, Co. Wexford. Memorial: Tower Hill Memorial UK.

FORTUNE, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 2nd Bn. Age at Death: 21. Date of Death: 09-May-1915. Service No: 10695. Born in Ferns, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Enniscorthy while living in Ferns, Co Wexford. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Thomas and Marcella Fortune of Clologue, Co. Wexford. Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 33. Memorial: Ypres ( Menin Gate ) Memorial in Belgium.

Image 88

FORTUNE, THOMAS. Rank: Lance Corporal. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 6th Bn. Age at Death: 26. Date of Death: 03-September-1916. Service No: 2020. Born in Moonager, Co Wexford, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Gorey while living in Wexford. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Thomas and Ann Fortune of Gorey Hill, Gorey, Co. Wexford. From an article in a Wexford newspaper; Enniscorthy Soldier Dies; - The death is announced of Corporal Thomas Fortune, Dublin Fusiliers, second eldest son of Mr Wm Fortune, building contractor, Enniscorthy.
 The sad event occurred in a military hospital in France, and much sympathy is felt with Mr W Fortune in his bereavment. From an article in the Enniscorthy Guardian in 1916; Lance Corporal Thomas Fortune, Gorey, was killed in action on 3rd September last. He joined in November, 1914, the 6th Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment and having undergone a course of training at Fermoy he and his company were sent straight to France, where he went through several important engagements, and in the Battle of Guillemont he met his death by a shell from a trench mortar. The deceased was an expert bomb-thrower and on more than one occasion came under the notice of the authorities, and it is stated that if he had survived he would have been recommended for distinction.
 Grave or Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 3 A. Memorial: Thiepval Memorial in France.

Offline yurtdweller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi to Anne, Rattler, your name sake, Nicholas Fortune known as the Rattler was my Gran's favourite uncle. His picture is on the light ship museum at Killmore key. He was a crew member along with another young Wexford man. They joined the newly fitted sail ship, Mozambique, from Glasgow docks when they were 18 year old. The ship sailed world wide, Nick delivered the captains child who didn't walk on land till he was two. The name Rattler comes allegedly from fathering children around the world. I would love to know more about his story as sailing is still in our family.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  Glad to hear more about my namesake.   He was married to my granfather's sister Margaret.  He liv3d next door to my dad's family in Fishers Row.  My dad was Eddie.  I always thought he got the name because he was bad tempered.  Your explanation sound much more interesting.    Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 19:25 GMT (UK) »
1891 census;

Fortune Nicholas; 55, Pembrokeshire, born Wexford
Jane (wife); 57, Pembrokeshire
Robert James (grandson);  7,  Pembrokeshire.
--------------------------------

Fortune Martha;
Trial; Wexford; 1799
Crime; Accomplice to murder
Sentence; Transportation

Fortune William
Wexford; 1849
Sheep stealing
Transp; 10 years.

Jack

Offline Jen12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Trying to trace Gerald/Garret Fortune born Kilpeddar Co Wicklow, married Bridget Byrne in Kilpeddar in January 1830.  Family settled in Bray and we are trying to trace roots back to Wexford?  Children of the family: Michael 1833, Christopher 1835,   Peter 1840, and Bridget

Thanks
J