Author Topic: The life of a con man part 2  (Read 41727 times)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: The life of a con man part 2
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 09:27 BST (UK) »
Deb when you come online.
Whatever Julian Osbaldeston said about his date of birth if, and I am sure myself we are correct, he was the Julian Alexander Turner born in Birmingham then he was baptised on 21/1/1855. His sister Ann Maria baptised with him was born 1853.
 Now Mary Ann Turner was baptised 1816 that would make her approaching 40 when Julian was born so no problem there.
We need if possible to find out where  (and if) he qualified as a doctor.
 You said there was an obit. in an American Doctors publication? Does that give details of where he studied?
What I am trying to establish is as the only family member I can find on 1861 census is possibly Francis had the rest of the family already gone to the USA? I know Edwin was back by 1862 but where was he in 1861? Not fighting the Crimean war that had finished, I doubt in Turkry learning about the Turkish baths, so was he hiding somewhere in the UK or had he gone with Josiah, Mary Ann and the 2 youngest children to the USA and then returned soon after?
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 09:39 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D I might just have found Edwin in 1861, it needs a lot more work which I will do later on today, but if it is him he is using another alias, but he is in the Royal Navy.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 09:41 BST (UK) »
What I am trying to establish is as the only family member I can find on 1861 census is possibly Francis

I also found a good candidate for Frederick "James" in 1861 on the other thread, at reply #60:

"The eldest son in 1851 is Frederick.  In 1861 he's a 28 yr old unmarried Book Carter b Birmingham, lodging with a Caroline Morrell (?) in Lady Wood, Birmingham: RG9/2129/66/37."

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Ooops Sorry I forgot you had found Frederick in 1861. It does look like the family had scattered by 1861, it's just where had they all gone to.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 10:19 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Frederick stuck with the surname James? There is this marriage in Birmingham in 1863.
 Frederick James

Spouse:  EMMA BATES 
    09 NOV 1863   All Saints, Birmingham, Warwick, England

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hope this works
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 10:42 BST (UK) »
I think we can discount that marriage I found, they are in Kenilworth and I can trace that Frederick James back to 1841 in Kenilworth ( Emma was living in Birmingham in 1861 which would explain the marriage there) So where did Frederick go after 1861? Another mystery.

Trees yes that tree is good ;D ;D ;D

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 11:46 BST (UK) »
Edwin in 1861, what I have found using the Christian name and place of birth is an Edwin BROOKS age 24 ( well 2 years out) in the Royal Navy serving on HMS Agamemnon which was on census night at Suda Bay Crete.
 Ref is RG9/4433/72/16.
 Next to Edwin's name as his occupation is ' 2 Cap Fore Top' I have put a thread on the armed forces board asking if anyone knows what that means.
At the moment I can't see him on any other census so I am thinking he is a possible for Edwin, he does at times mention the Royal Navy, saying he was in Malta, a possible stopping off point  for the Eastern Mediterranean and Turkey, well Crete isn't that far away from Turkey

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 12:37 BST (UK) »
My sister is not sure how far back the records held at Yatala Gaol in South Australia go, but she'll find out when she can. She only works 3 days a week, and won't be there again till Friday.........

I've been searching online and on disk for any sign of either ETO or Annie Pratt, but other than the birth in Victoria, I can't find anything.

Dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk