Author Topic: streeting family canterbury.  (Read 2268 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
streeting family canterbury.
« on: Tuesday 05 May 09 09:42 BST (UK) »
hello,im trying to find out a bit more about the streeting family in canterbury,this is what i have.on 1841 john streeling born 1786 father,george b1816,robert b1820,mary b1826 and james b1840,all kent.on the 1851 robert streeting is with wife mary and family,living next door is my probable ancestor thomas streeting and his family,cant find him on 1841.robert continues on every census until 1881,although on 1871 its mistranscribed strubing.and his wife is down as born chatham.my thomas vanishes from 1861/71,but reappears in cranbrook on 1881,and on the 1891 hes in tonbridge,his wife is living seperately at capel nr tonbridge.on the 1891 roberts son william strubing(streeting) born c1852 has lodging with him a henry streeting b1825 canterbury,widower,butcher.i have who i think is this henry from 1851-1881,though occupations differ,then this 1891,but then on 1901 hes married to sarah again.on the 1851 he has with him his father john born c1787,harbledown near canterbury.this henry isnt on the 1841.this sounds incredibly complicated,but basically what im trying to do is link robert,thomas and henry.roberts on the 1841 with his father john,thomas and henry arnt.thomas is living next door to robert on 1851,henry has living with him his father john.does anyone else think robert,henry and thomas are brothers,or can they confirm it.thanks,nel.         

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Re: streeting family canterbury.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 07:46 BST (UK) »
hello,after that last confusing message i think things are now a bit clearer.i now think the streelings on 1841 are probably nothing to do with them.ive found on the 1841 a robert streeting born 1816 kent,with him are elizabeth buckley born 1821,kent,and her children henry,elizabeth and mary.ive also found a joint marriage in sheppey for robert and thomas streeting,j/a/s 1841 5/487.the two spouses are mary ann hagarty and elizabeth buckley.subsequent census show that robert married elizabeth and thomas married mary ann.whats strange is its robert whose living with elizabeth on the 1841.on the 1851 both (presumably brothers) are living next to each other,with thomas son henry streeting(presumably buckley) born 1838 sheerness.the 1881 for robert and mary ann shows she was born ireland.i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why the spouses appear to have been mixed up,thanks,nel.just a bit more on this to further complicate things,ive noticed elizabeth buckleys first three,children on 1841 are henry born c1837,elizabeth born 1839,and mary born c1840,these three are clearly thomas and elizabeths first three on the next census,so my mary streeting could be mary buckley,even though her birth cert says streeting.henry was the only one born sheernes,the rest canterbury,nel.  

Offline Vikingson2

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: streeting family canterbury.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 October 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi. Not sure if you are still enquiring about the Streeting family from Canterbury? I'm a Streeting and my grandfather was a Robert Streeting from the north gate area of Canterbury. I've done a fair bit of research myself in the Canterbury Cathedral archives. My father was born in Chartham near Canterbury but his family also lived and worked in Harbledown. It's quite complicated researching the Streeting family because there's many offshoots that are probably cousins. My fathers family heads are nearly all Roberts. I'm also interested in Mary Ann Streeting who is listed as being born in Ireland? Personally, I'd love to find out where. There are lots of anomalies in the census records because the Streeting ancestors were mostly illiterate and gave information by word of mouth only. The recorder ofter misinterpreted the answers /names/places /age etc.
Please feel free to ask for more information.
Vic Streeting.