Author Topic: Fromelles missing - William Wass  (Read 21850 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Fromelles missing - William Wass
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi SBRX,

Welcome to Rootschat, and to a wonderful group of people - not just on the WW1 boards, but everywhere!

I am sure that you will find rootschat one of the best ways to help with all family history online research.

Have you had the opportunity to read the pdf file on William Wass at this link - its an inspiring six page read.

http://www.anzacday.org.au/justsoldiers/justsoldiers.html

Cheers,

Just Moi, from NSW Australia
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline SBRX

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for the welcome I am currently doing an update for BBC Radio Derby and is it true that you may have traced a relative of Williams brother? Regards and I am trying to get used to using this. For example why are my messages only showing two stars when I am elated at the news on William to date? I can put the smiley on but where are the stars? :)

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi JM

Good to see you back and hope you are well.

I have not had a reply from the GR contact despite sending a second message so that lead looks like it is going to be a dead end.  I sent Sandra the details about Williams next of kin so will have to wait and see what happens with that.  I don't think I am going to get much further with this but you never know.  What do you think?

Hi SBRX

A warm welcome to rootschat - as Just Moi says we are a very friendly and helpful group of people even if you are not researching your own family.

I knew that the Derby Evening Telegraph had run a story asking for any details of William's relatives but was unaware of Radio Derby's interest, I did email the paper regarding William but received no reply.  Are you a relative of William or like us trying to trace his relatives?  I believe that I have found William's next of kin with help from others here and on other sites and have passed the details onto the appropriate people.

Regards

Crystal Lady
Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for the welcome I am currently doing an update for BBC Radio Derby and is it true that you may have traced a relative of Williams brother? Regards and I am trying to get used to using this. For example why are my messages only showing two stars when I am elated at the news on William to date? I can put the smiley on but where are the stars? :)

Hi SBRX

I'd also like to add my welcome to Rootschat.  :D

The number of stars is tied to the number of posts so no matter how happy I was  to find out stuff about my grandfather, I was only allowed 1 star (not that I cared  :) )

On RC we are not allowed to publicly mention names of living people so don't expect a lot of public responses but some PMs instead.

William Wass was supposed to have served in the Notts & Derby Regiment (Sherwood Foresters) in the Boer War and afterwards so perhaps looking at that angle might be a good story to link in with Fromelles?

Also, veering off topic in a big way, is another member of the AIF Armourer Sergeant/2nd Lt/ Lt/ Acting Captain Gilbert Harry MM, MC & Bar. Before the GreatWar he was in the Derbyshire Volunteers and he died at 40 from his gassing and wounds and lay for 78 years in an unmarked grave until recentlygrave in Gympie, Australia but there will be a ceremony on 22nd June to mark his grave.

In the meantime, please do keep publicising the Fromelles men.

Glen

PS Some links on Gilbert Harry

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Unmarked+grave+is+soldier's+final+home%3B+Recognition+at+last+for...-a0197055602

http://www.gympietimes.com.au/story/2009/04/16/mystery-hero-remembered/

http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A090218b.htm

Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 02:16 BST (UK) »
Hi SBRX,

and of course everyone else following these threads  :D

The link below is one of the best ways to reach the "team leaders" - who are also RChatters.  I will send them both a pm in case they have not yet had a spare minute to learn of your interest too.

The link to the fromelles database has been removed whilst we locate the new website link 2019 http://web.archive.org/web/20100409162945/http://www.fromelles.net

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline SBRX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I teach a Great War short course at the Northern College see www.northern.ac.uk and visit the battlefields with my wife quite regularly. We visited the Fromelles excavation last week and I did an interview with BBC radio Derby and spoke to the Derby evening Telegraph who did the story afterwards. Might I add with a few inaccuracies but never mind it got the story out there.
I became interested in finding out more about William Wass simply because of the appeal on From :)elles.net and the fact he originally resided on a farm in Chelaston near Derby not far from where I live in Derbyshire. I have has some assistance from the Australian Archives who have been very helpful but things really started falling into place after visiting rootschat.com. You guys and gals certainly know what you are doing.
 I understand a relative as been found and the appropriate authorities have been contacted. Who might that be please as I am sure the local press/radio and perhaps even TV would be interested in doing a follow up? I look forward to hearing from you regards SBRX

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Perhaps if you simply press the option "report to moderator" against this message I am posting.  That way they WILL read this message, and your own message that I am responding to. 

Edit to remove capitalisation.
JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 14 June 09 03:36 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if any progress has been made, I have not even had a pm and its ten days since I last posted on this thread.  JM

Offline SBRX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 14 June 09 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi I can't get a response from the people at Fromelles.net wether or not they have traced a relative of William's but the page says complete where it says researcher so I guess they have. Any idea how I could get to know please?