Author Topic: Pembrokeshire Photographers 1860-1920  (Read 31156 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pembrokeshire Photographers 1860-1920
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 17:56 BST (UK) »
I think your reply is here

Topics merged :)

I'll ask mods to combine the threads
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dynbach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 17 July 14 14:42 BST (UK) »
I would like to know if any of Sydney Webbs photographs of the cutting of the first sod of the Pembroke & Tenby Railway in 1862 still survive and if so, where can I get a copy to go with my research into that railway line.
Regards
Graham

Offline john-bennett

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 14:33 GMT (UK) »
John,
Just came a cross your old interest in Charles Smith Allen.

Living at his birth town (Rugeley) I am keen to write a brief biographical note for our local history society.

I am trying to check the veracity of a couple of statements that appear on-line and wonder if you could help.

1, It is stated that there are a few of his paper and silver negatives/prints of Tenby dating to the 1840's - but I have asked Tenby museum if they have them or know of them but they have replied that they do not have them and are unaware of them.  Have you any information as to the origin of this statement or where they might be?  If true and accurate this dating is significant as being very early and he being still young.

2, The other is the one about being one of Queen Victoria's favourite photographers that you allude to.  Any idea of the origin of this statement?  I am aware of the album of photographs in The Royal Collection 'Sent by Lady Cawdor, by Your Majesty's permission'.

Offline Okiowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 February 15 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
I`m hoping this portrait may be of interest to those of you here, as it may well have been made by one of the photographers under discussion.
Here is as much information about it that I know of. The portrait seems to be a cross between a photograph and a charcoal sketch. The subjects are my GGG Grandparents, John Lloyd (c.1816 Warren - 1879) and Mary (nee Rees, c. 1818-1888 of Penally). John`s father George was from Pembroke and they moved to Monkton around 1845. The Census finds them as follows:
1851 East End Back, Pembroke
1861 Green Alley
1871 Main Street.
Judging by Mary`s clothing, I`m guessing that the portrait was made around 1863?
I haven`t been able to get any info from the back yet as it is in safekeeping in Wales, whilst I live in Japan!
Apologies on only providing a link (below) to the portrait, but I don`t have the skills to make it a smaller file for posting here directly.
If anybody has any comments that may deepen my understanding of it, I love to hear them.
Thanks in advance,
Owen

Isaac Phillips - Dale, Pembrokeshire
John Phillips - Templeton (around 1768)
Lloyd - Freystrope before 1842
Fabian - Glamorgan
Mazey - Glamorgan
Atyeo - Somerset and Wales
Evans - Llanuwchllyn
Humphreys - Pantperthog/Corris
Watkins - Llanwnnog/Elerch
James - Nant-y-moch
Morgans - Elerch
Lloyd - Cerrigydrudion
Hart - Shropshire/Monmouthshire

Offline SteffanMaria Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 19 March 17 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Llanfallteg
I know this is an old post, but i am trying to identify an old family photo that was taken by I think S J Allen Pembroke. I was wondering if there is any way of finding this kind of information out.  I am pretty new to researching my family so sorry if this is a silly question.
Kind regards
Maria
John, Johns, Jones, Watson, Whitewood, Silver, Miles, Hope, Brown, Alderdice, Young

Offline John_Lewis-Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 19 March 17 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maria,

I think that knowing the photographer is about as far as you will get. Some photographers kept records that might have been passed on to family members.  The photographers name would have normally been on the back of the photograph but was placed on the front from about 1900.

With regards to identification you could try a family history site.  Ancestry does has a researchers part where you can place photographs and request contacts or information or you could use social media.

I have placed photographs on this site some time ago.

Regards

John
Victorian and Edwardian Photographers in Pembrokeshire.
Narberth local history.
Spencer and Pedrick in London.
Izatt and Fraser in Edinburgh also Fife.
Sheppard and Woolley in Kent.
White,Whiteman, Rich and Wiltshire in Brighton Sussex.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 19 March 17 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Thank you for your help, the name was printed on the front of the photo so that helps to know that it's after 1900.
I will also do as you suggest and post the photo on Ancestry to see if someone can identify it.

Thank you
Regards
Maria
John, Johns, Jones, Watson, Whitewood, Silver, Miles, Hope, Brown, Alderdice, Young

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maria,

A huge welcome to RootsChat :)

There are two sections here on RootsChat that may help you our dating photo section here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/free-photo-restoration and our photo recognition section http://www.rootschat.com/forum/handwriting-deciphering-recognition if you can scan your photo you can add them to your RootsChat posts.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah
Thank you for the welcome.  I will add the photo to the boards you suggested to see if anyone can identify it. 

Kind regards
Maria