Author Topic: Ceylon: Seeking date of my grandparents marriage  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ceylon: Seeking date of my grandparents marriage
« on: Friday 08 May 09 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

My grandfather Rev. Alfred Norton Garrett was Vicar of St. Peters (Garrison) Church and acting chaplain to the forces, Fort Colombo, Colombo, Ceylon.

He married my grandmother Edith Mary Miller a school mistress (who liked to be called Muriel Edith Mary Miller) in 1915 or 1916. I believe their marriage took place at St. Peter's Church, the day after my grandmother had arrived by the Bibby Company Liner the "Herefordshire" from England.

She departed Liverpool on 11th December 1915 and went via Marseilles, Port Said (and the Suez Canal) to Colombo, possibly having to avoid the German Navy on the way.

At the time of my mothers birth on 25th May 1918 her parents were living at Colpetty which is a district of Colombo I believe.

My grandparents and my mother returned to England in 1922.

Any help to establish the exact date and location of this marriage and witness and possibly sources of photographs of it it would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline lindseya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ceylon: Seeking date of my grandparents marriage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 05:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,
I can see this message is now quite old. Did you find out what you wanted to know? If not, I may have something of interest.
Lindsey

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 07:13 BST (UK) »
No marriage yet but at least I have found some photographs of the Church which you may or may not have seen before. Yes Colpetty was (and possibly still is) an exclusive suburb of South Colombo. The person who I have researched  is Harry Creasy, a Solicitor and founder of the law firm Julius and Creasy which still is in existence in Colombo. Harry died in Colpetty 1924 and must have known the Rev. Garettt.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293962-d3653274-Reviews-St_Peter_s_Church-Colombo_Western_Province.html#photos;geo=293962&detail=3653274&ff=60959467&albumViewMode=hero&albumid=101&baseMediaId=60959467&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7

And the Reverend's whereabouts on 28 July 1917. Click into the small I agree box then the larger blue I agree box.

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/singfreepressb19170815-1.2.14.aspx?q=Rev+A.+N.+Garrett&page=1&sort=relevance&token=garrett%2cn%2ca%2crev&sessionid=0791d5bb2033442b854314e1ecb912d5

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
NOT on the "UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects, 1628-1969". They included consular and some church records. Not all records reached this register, some of mine in Constantinople are missing.

Usually ministers get married by a minister friend. What religion was he? Not on Crockfords Clerical Directory.....

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Gen List Lass, barryd and lindseya

Thanks for your posts and the links barry. I did discover in a copy of the Ceylon Observer that the marriage took place on 13 Jan 1916 the day after my grandmother arrived in Ceylon!

Many thanks

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts