Author Topic: Babies named after dead siblings  (Read 7075 times)

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Babies named after dead siblings
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 May 09 08:00 BST (UK) »
My gt.gr.parents did this 3 times! They had a son Robert Henry b. in Ireland, after he died they moved to Glasgow. The next son was also named Robert Henry - my grand father. Hugh Alexander and William were also the second children to be given their name. James was born in Ireland and survived.
 Apparently he puzzled his grown up children by claiming to be the 7th son. My gt.gr. parents must have been honest about the family history.
Kooky

ps this was in 1870s and 1880s
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline tjugg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bosun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 May 09 08:25 BST (UK) »
My grandparents did this in the early 1900's Two daughters Cecilia Ivy and Evelyn May died in early childhood so they combined the two second names for their last child and called her Ivy May.
Blunden Dorset and Surrey
Rayner Suffolk and Sussex
Norris and Wellman Dorset
Wheatley Yorkshire and Suffolk

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 May 09 10:22 BST (UK) »
This happens over and over in my tree.
One couple named 3 children "Charles" and all 3 died as young babies, where the rest of their children lived - obviously this wasn't a wise choice of name for their children.
Many many couples in my ancestry lost babies and re-used the name for subsequent children. Sometimes they added or changed the middle name, but not always. I also noticed that sometimes the new baby was given the name of an older sibling who it seems was still alive when baby was registered but then in the following quarter or two there is then a death for that child, so I'm guessing that the older child was probably sick and the parents thought they would die and so re-used the name, even before the older child actaully died.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 May 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
It's family naming traditions, which you can find out about in a zillion places on the net. The tradition was strong throughout the 19th century, beginning to break down only after 1890ish. Basically, eldest son was always named after his paternal grandfather, eldest daughter after her maternal grnadmother, and a following hierarchy of rules for other children. So, if a first-born son died and there were no other sons at that point, the next-born son was the eldest and so took the same name. I have three James's in a single family for this reason. It often happened even if there were other sons around at the time, too.

Mike
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 May 09 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have had many births of siblings with the same first names to the same parents. The older children died and subsequent ones were named after their deceased sibling.

Two sisters Clara Hannah Coombs born in 1861 and Clara Emma Coombs born in 1876. Clarah Hannah died in 1862. Clara Emma survived to adulthood.

I think this was a very common pratice.

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 May 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
It happened many, many times in my family history and can sometimes explain why the ages on the census don't appear to be correct.  

My late brother in law fell into the trap of not realising that two sons of the same family both had the same name, the first one having died, so his research was wrongly diverted to finding someone of the age of the first son.  As soon as his notes etc. were sent to us, after he died, it was obvious what the problem was.  All it took was a quick check on FreeBMD to find the death of the first child and the birth of the next one with the same name (since verified with the certs).

It seems to me that giving the next child the name of a dead sibling, was almost a kiss of death to that child too.  Often in my family history, there have been 3 children in the same family all with the same name and all have died young.  Superstitious moi ???

Lizzie

Offline mother25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 May 09 19:51 BST (UK) »
I've recently discovered two cases of babies being named after dead siblings.  One was Esther who died aged just 3 years. Her mum had two sons and then another daughter, who became Esther. There were also two Henry's in the same family, one died in infancy the other reached adulthood safely as far as I can tell  :)
All that was in the late 19th and early 20th century.
More recently, I had a sister who died in 1946 when she was only 11 months old. Another brother was born soon after her death and then 7 years later mum had another daughter who was given a name almost the same as our dead sister. Not identical, but close enough for us to realise she was named for the little one.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 May 09 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who sent in their info, it is all very interesting.Sad too, all those babies lost. When my friends and I used to go to our local cemetery just for a walk or to visit grandparent`s graves etc. we used to look for graves with lots of babies ,only days and weeks old very often. This was in the older Victorian section. Quite often the mother had died too . It makes you appreciate      the improved maternity services we have now and anti-biotics etc.My friend has just sent me a book called "Call the Midwife" by Jennifer Worth. It`s about London`s docklands in the 1950`s,Cable Street , the Krays ,the marvellous women who bore more than ten children in poverty stricken conditions. That`s what it says on the back cover so it promises to be heartbreakingly interesting. Not a lot more to read of The Da Vinci Code so this will be next. Thanks again. Viktoria.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 May 09 22:25 BST (UK) »
Viktoria,

I have read the book ...... enjoy  :)

Cheers
KHP :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk