Author Topic: Brewarrina Cemetery NSW  (Read 3244 times)

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Brewarrina Cemetery NSW
« on: Saturday 09 May 09 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is there a Rootschatter who lives at Brewarrina who could take  photos of a Grave/ Headstone and Niche for me

Albert John MOHR aged 81 yrs died 21 Jan 1995 is buried in the Anglican section

his wife

Hilda MOHR  96 yrs died 21 Jan or Feb 1995 in Dalby QLD  her ashes where placed in a Niche at the Brewarrina Cemetery.

I do not have grave or niche numbers however I am still on the search for the details,

Regards
Cass

Offline fielded

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brewarrina Cemetery NSW
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 December 17 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cass,  I'm responding to an old post of yours regarding Albert J Mohr and Hilda Mary Mohr. I'm currently researching an old school photo (c.1902) and came across your query. I think this is Albert Mohr from Lower Nambucca, New South Wales who was known as 'Dick', and is 7 years of age in the school photo.  Although we know a lot about his childhood and war service in WW1, we don't know where he went after this and whether he married and had children. We do know that his mother remarried and moved to Valla, New South Wales. The Albert Mohr who is buried at Brewarrina died in 1976 at the age of 81 (as shown in the Australian Cemeteries Index). Our Dick Mohr was born in 1895 in Kempsey, so the age is correct for a match between the two names. He was part of a contingent of war veterans who returned to Gallipoli for the 60th anniversary in 1975, and my great-aunt was aware that when he returned his health declined rapidly leading to his death before he was able to visit her as he intended. So a death date in 1976 also fits with Dick's history. Were you able to find someone to take photos of the grave?

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 17 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi I think we are researching the same fellow, "my" Albert John Mohr was a distant relation of my late father.   "our" Albert's mother remarried a Thompson.

If you think we are searching the same fellow send me a personal message with your email address and I get in contact. I don't have much info , but it may help you in your search.

I had no luck with the photo at Brewarrina , as a WW1 Vet  you would think there would be a marker of some type.

regards

Cass

Offline fielded

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 17 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cass

Yes, it seems "your" Albert John Mohr and "our" Dick Mohr are the same person. Thank you for helping with this verification. My family aren't related to Dick but he was a close friend of my great-uncle Arthur Bragg who died at Gallipoli. When Dick made his return visit, it was reported he cried over Arthur's grave. Yes, his mother did remarry, to Augustus Thompson. Dick also learned to sew while in hospital and made a memorial to Arthur Bragg on black satin.

I'm not sure how to give you my email address without posting it on this site. There is another relative of Dick's who has recently been in touch with me. She had very little information on him. I was able to give her a lot of details.

Are you in Australia? If so, you would probably be aware that Brewarrina is very isolated and not exactly a tourist destination. Maybe one day there'll be a photograph of the grave online.

Cheers, Alison