Author Topic: Ancestors of Mary Rosie Taylor and John Simpson Little Bu Flotta  (Read 6805 times)

Offline dawnzdreams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestors of Mary Rosie Taylor and John Simpson Little Bu Flotta
« on: Saturday 09 May 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother (Maggie Sutherland Simpson - Born June 8th 1907, Moved to Canada and Then to Calif, USA and passed away in Feb 1992 from a stroke). I am hoping to still find a living brother or sister as she was 1 of 13 children. My Mother - her only child also passed away from colon cancer in 2002. I am Margaret Mary Taylor Dewars daughter XXXX now XX years old.

Also tracing my roots through her back as far as I can go. Any help would be wonderful!
My email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.

RootsChat policy prohibits publishing details of living people. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.

Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Simpson - Sutherland - Taylor - Rosie - Garrioch - Louttit - Orkney - Flotta - South Ronaldsay - St. Andrews - Holm and Paplay more - Main interest is Flotta.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors of Mary Rosie Taylor and John Simpson Little Bu Flotta
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 May 09 21:43 BST (UK) »
Do you have the names of any of the 13 children? On the 1901 census for Flotta we have: John Simpson 31, Mary Simpson/Taylor 21, James 2yrs, Robert taylor 41, Jane Taylor 41 and Robert Taylor 7yrs. Do they sound familiar?
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline dawnzdreams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 May 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
The 13 children I mentioned are my grandmothers brothers and sisters - they are simpsons.
Children of John Simpson and Mary Rosie Taylor.
The children I know are:
Maggie Sutherland Simpson June 8, 1907  - my Grandmother
Jeanie Sutherland Simpson Nov 26, 1905
Niel Simpson July 9, 1904
John Simpson April 21, 1901
Ceicle Taylor Simpson XXXX
Ian Alfred Simpson XXXX
Allan Simpson XXXX
Clara Simpson XXXX
I know there was a Charles Simpson he remained on Flotta because he was present when my grandmothers parents died.
I believe there was a william, James and John as well.  One of the children got killed in a war, I remember my Grandmother "Maggie" also known as Peggy") would tell me when I was little.

I know that Ceicle moved away from scotland - maybe to the USA and one moved to New Zealand, My Grandmother moved to Canada when she was 18 to find work. She later moved to California USA to be close to my Mother and I.

Now for Robert and Jane taylor - My grandmothers, mother Mary Rosie Taylor......her parents were
Robert Taylor and Jane McKay Taylor (maiden Name: Sutherland). Since the ages seem correct for my great gand parents _Mary Taylor Born oct 1, 1879 and my Great Grandfather John Born April 22, 1869..........Maybe they lived with my grandmothers, mothers parents???? As well as the fact that most of the children were not born yet. Where did you find the information?

Thank you so much.

(It gets like a giant tongue twister he he he). Boy I really appreciate your information.

(*) Moderator Comment: RootsChat policy prohibits publishing details of living people. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Simpson - Sutherland - Taylor - Rosie - Garrioch - Louttit - Orkney - Flotta - South Ronaldsay - St. Andrews - Holm and Paplay more - Main interest is Flotta.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 May 09 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I got the info from the census, you can get as far back as 1841 on the Scottish censuses ( they are free on the right sites ) so you should be able to track your ancestors back that far especially as they seem to have lived in the same area for a long time.  People usually married within their own parish back then. There were a couple of other families with the same name so possibly relatives.
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 May 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
If you go to beginners page for this site you will find links to help you with censuses etc

Offline M gardner

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 September 17 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I got the info from the census, you can get as far back as 1841 on the Scottish censuses ( they are free on the right sites ) so you should be able to track your ancestors back that far especially as they seem to have lived in the same area for a long time.  People usually married within their own parish back then. There were a couple of other families with the same name so possibly relatives.
my dad was ian Alfred Simpson your grans brother he was the youngest of 13

Offline peedielass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 20:00 GMT (UK) »
You should contact Orkney Family History Society. You can join online for £10 at www.orkneyfhs.co.uk. The website has transcriptions of birth, marriage and death registrations as well as census info and gravestone inscriptions. There's also a message board for members.

Offline serenajshearer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
no idea if anybody is still using this site but if anyone sees this I'd be interested to find and share any information. I'm a great-great grandaughter of Mary Rosie Taylor (Great Granddaughter of Mary Dawson [Simpson] ) and live in Orkney.
Thanks.