Author Topic: 1891 census - CLEMIE  (Read 2971 times)

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1891 census - CLEMIE
« on: Wednesday 28 April 04 11:05 BST (UK) »

Can anyone help me to solve a mystery please. I am researching a Clemie family (Clemmey, Climmey etc) that lived in Yorkshire from from  the early 18th century - I think my ancestor William Clemie originally came from Scotland.

I found this census entry for James Clemie in 1901:
21 Seer St, Bradford
James Clemie  H  wid  60  Addingham Bradford Bradford Silk Worker
Sarah E Clemie  dau  S  15  Manningham Bradford Bradford Silk Drawing
Harry Clemie boarder  M  25  Addingham Bradford Bradford Wool Comber
+1 servant

James' wife Esther had only recently died at the age of 75 . It seems unlikely that she could have had a daughter, Sarah E at the age of 60.

Son Harry was from an earlier marriage - Esther and James married in 1880.

I would love to see the entry for the family in 1891. James may have given his place of birth as either Addingham, Otley or Keighley.
Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
Re:1891 census - CLEMIE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 April 04 11:21 BST (UK) »
I think this is them and Sarah age 5 is a granddaughter which solves the problem of the age discrepancy

Hi there - Did you make a note of the details on the enumerators return plus the Folio and Page Numbers etc. - Moderator  
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 April 04 11:36 BST (UK) »
 Also found this in 1881 census

Name  Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
 James CLEMIE   Head   M   Male   40   Keighley, York, England   Under Silk Carder    
 Esther CLEMIE   Wife   M   Female   52   Addingham, York, England   (Housekeeper)    
 Robinson CLEMIE   Son      Male   15   Addingham, York, England   Velvet Cutter Silk    
 William A. CLEMIE   Son      Male   10   Addingham, York, England   Kreeler For Silk Spinner    
 Harry CLEMIE   Son      Male   6   Addingham, York, England   Scholar    

~~~~~~~~
Source Information:
  Dwelling   Main St
  Census Place Addingham, York, England
  Family History Library Film   1342029
  Public Records Office Reference   RG11
  Piece / Folio   4311 / 51
  Page Number   15
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 April 04 13:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you very much indeed. It looks as if son Robinson, who married in 1884, was widowed and Sarah as the youngest child and only girl  moved in with her grandparents. Mystery solved.

Were they in Bradford in 1891?
Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 April 04 18:22 BST (UK) »
I'll get this right yet.
Earlier image of james family in 1891
RG12/3634 folio 29 pg 11
Name spelt as Climie
Living at what looks like 133 Chassum St Bradford

Also found Robinson Clemie in 1891 census
RG12/3634 folio 68 pg 8

24a Silk street Manningham part of Bradford
Robinson Clemie 25 wool comber born Addingham
Susannah wife  29  born ??Glasburn
James  ?2mnths  son born Manningham
Ellen  4 daur born Bradford

Maybe other daughter sarah was just spending the night with her grandparents when the census was taken

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 April 04 04:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the extra information. It's getting nice and complicated again .............

By 1901 Robinson's wife Susannah seems to have died and he is married to Annie, baby James is living as the adopted son of Margarette Clemie who is possibly the wife of Robinson's brother Harry. But they are not living together. And Ellen has disappeared.

In 1901 Robinson has 2 more sons, Charles aged 18 and George aged 16. Looks as if they might actually be his stepsons as they were not with him in 1891.

Offline Tilly014

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census - CLEMIE
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 May 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi this is my family ancestors, Sara Elizabeth clemie is my great grandma, her daughter Evelyn Coe was my nana who passed away ,3 years tomorrow,
You can search for Evelyn Coe / fairless

Think we can find some lovely history , I would love to know more

Please message back

Regards

Andrea