Author Topic: 102 Regiment  (Read 8636 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 102 Regiment
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 January 10 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

As you have his enlistment and discharge dates I assume you have his papers from WO97 in Kew. If so they should give his age in years and months. The army did not record date of birth. Occasionally they record ages in years and days. Are you aware that he was born before civil registration started in Ireland? So you will need to search the church records in Lurgan, if that information is correct. Do you know his religion, either from his papers or a later Irish census?

Did you search the muster book cover to cover? They started to include the married roll in the musters around this time. This should give the date he was put on the married roll. The army year ran from April 1st, so his last entry should be in the one for 1876/77. I am also surprised he only served for 10 years rather the normal 12.

The 102nd foot consisted of only a Depot in Naas and one battalion. That was in Dover to August 1871; Aldershot to August 1872, Upavon _ there is an Upavon in Wiltshire, near Salisbury Plain – until Sep 1872; Parkhurst (IOW) to July 1874, then Portland. So they must have been visiting the depot (or her family) when the child was born. If his wife was also Irish I would start to look for a marriage in Naas, as he would have done his initial training in the Depot.

Ken

Offline BPG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 January 10 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken.  I know he served only ten years because the muster roll shows his discharge and also states his enlistment date and that he was born and enlisted in Lurgan.

He joined Leeds police in 1877 and I have his records, again no date of birth is shown but it does say born in Knocknamuckley.

I have not got anything from WO97 only WO12 so I will look in there aswell.  I did'nt realise he was born before civil registration so that is a great help.

I don't know his religion.

His wife was from Suffolk and another child was born in Portland in 1876.  Looked through the marriage rolls but could not find any mention so will have another look.  It could also be that the children were to different women as I have no BC for the boy born in NAAS in 1874 to show the Mother.

Thanks again.

Brian

Offline neil_d_rules

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 13:12 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon can you please help
My great grand father was in the 102nd foot regiment Royal Madras, I did have his service records but i donated to the local museum.
My question he served about 24 years,he got married in 1877 at Gibraltar,and I believe he was in India,he was discharged in early 1881,was there any medals issued
thanking you inadvance

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 15:54 BST (UK) »
Since the original post these service record should have been put onto Findmypast. You can no longer research the originals at the National Archives. Posting his name, place and date of birth will help to find him.

It looks as if he just missed the Indian Mutiny, and they do not appear to have been involved in any campaigns until the Boer War (1899).

After the Mutiny they came under the crown and in 1881 merged with the 103rd Foot to become the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Ken

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 August 15 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks that information. Just got his marriage cert for 1889 and it said he was at Military barricks naas soldier 102 regiment. His name was John McCarthy born Youghal Cork abt 1856. Know nothing about him from when he was born till he married in1889. After 1889 he had a child Mary born 1891-92 in Co Down. Then 1894-95 a son Maurice was born in Yorkshire England and then in 1897-98 he had a son patrick back in Naas.

Findmypast have a one year attestation from 1900 - at the time of the Boer War - into the Royal Reserve Regiment. It is for a John McCarthy, aged 44, born Youghal. The RRR was created for home defence to allow Regular soldiers to be sent to South Africa. His wife (in 1901) was Sarah, and the address looks like Sallins Road, Naas.

John had 21 years previous service with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Ken