Author Topic: Help please Disability Code P43 answered, thanks  (Read 5505 times)

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please Disability Code P43
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 May 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken and everyone.

I now have a better understanding of what went on.  He served in the battle of  Ypres and seems to have gone over there pretty soon after being drafted.    There seems to have been a telegraph while he was serving and later some correspondance about his medals.   All the pages are hard to read, worse for someone unfamiliar with regiments etc.  (smile).

Steven
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
REpost Help please Disability Code P43 answered, thanks
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 December 17 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for help in the past with this one.  I have just been sent the original of this document and I noticed on the 'Disability line' is the word AVRIL.

My mother's middle name is that and according to my sister my grandfather said he got the name off a bag of floor he saw in France during the war.  I can see now it was another one of his stories.  Would anyone know what this stands for?

I have googled it and only come up with other women called Avril.

Many Thanks

Steven  :)
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Hugs.............
    • View Profile
Re: Help please Disability Code P43 answered, thanks
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 December 17 12:45 GMT (UK) »
If you look to the rightof Disability there are some brackets   - Attrib - Aggrav - Non-Attrib

Against disability is  "attrib" -  ??? (rather than Avril)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 December 17 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Definitely Attrib not Avril:

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help please Disability Code P43 answered, thanks Answered again Thanks
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 December 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Oh heavens yes, I see now, he's been gone decades, but this piece of paper was sent to me by other family in a Christmas Card.   But they must have kept it because it does look like Avril.  The story about a bag of flour seemed rather odd.   But he did have loads of them!

Thanks so much I can rest easy now, knowing how she got that middle name.

Season's greetings.

Steven :D

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 December 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, Sorry all that bother, her middle name is Avlis!!!!!

Not to be confused with car Alvis.....................

Maybe his story was true!

Gee whizz not began Christmas merriment yet!

Steven  :(

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I was a beautiful baby, - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 December 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
If you look to the rightof Disability there are some brackets   - Attrib - Aggrav - Non-Attrib

Against disability is  "attrib" -  ??? (rather than Avril)

Sandra

Just to clarify for anyone wondering what these abbreviations mean:
attrib - attributable to military service
aggrav - aggravated by military service (i.e. condition existed before joining up)
non-attrib - not attributable to war service

Philip
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Towcester/Weedon - ALLEN, BASFORD, MAY       Fakenham - WILLIAMSON       Hempton - WRIGHT, LOVELL       Bethnal Green - MONKS and LARCHER
Southwark - MOUNT, BOWBRICK        Clonakilty to Southwark -  CRISPIN      Lambeth - LYON       Hoxton - WALTERS     Gwennap - JAMES, GRAY, TREWARTHA       Antrim - CORDNER, SANDYS         Peru - SOTELO, MOREY, BASELLI

Offline JMB1943

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 December 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Mothball,

In reply #3, you show a portion of the record which appears to read “Contusion Back” in handwriting.
A contusion is basically a bruise, so he may have been struck by a piece of shrapnel and incurred a very badly bruised back.

Regard,
JMB
Ballard/Hew/Mitchell/Mountcastle/Palmer/Spicer/White

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 December 17 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the all the added info.  I was  lucky to get his war record online as his name was David Jones (but his middle name was Daniel which made it stand out) , it does vary quite a lot to what he told us.   It reads like he spent time working at Woolwich too.  He also had trouble getting his medal I think, which I didn't find after his death.   These are fascinating documents, but at times very hard to transcribe to us civvies.

So thanks again for added info.

Steven