Author Topic: charlotte and mary buckley  (Read 3804 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
charlotte and mary buckley
« on: Wednesday 13 May 09 10:13 BST (UK) »
hello,ive been fishing around for more buckley info in canterbury c1841,and have come up with a few more clues.on the 1841,on the same page as my robert streeting/elizabeth buckley and kids theres  a james simmonds born c1791,charlotte simmonds born 1829,james born 1831,henry born 1833,all born kent.with them is a mary buckley born 1791.on the 1851 in same area,theres a james simmonds born c1797,isle of wight,charlotte simmonds born 1792,benacre,suffolk and there kids thos buckley born 1829,dublin,a bavin maker and jas buckley born 1834,canterbury.i assume that means charlotte was a buckley.ive got thomas buckley on the 1861 next door to robert streeting,now born 1836,canterbury,still a bavin maker.hes on the 1881 as thos buxley born 1828 canterbury,bavin maker,on the 1891 born place unknown,general labourer and on the 1901 hes a pauper in canterbury workhouse.ive found james( jas) simmonds on the 1861/71,hes a labourer.ive then got henry simmonds born 1837,canterbury,hawker of cutlery,lodging in newbury,berks.on the 1871 hes henry dimmons born 1836,canterbury,pedlar,lodging in bawtry,yorkshire.on the 1881/91 hes in swindon,wilts,umbrella maker.im wondering why thomas stayed a buckley,and james and henry became simmonds.id be very intrested to hear whether anyone concurs or disagrees with any of this,or for any further info.id also be very grateful if anyone can confirm a formal link between charlotte/mary/elizabeth buckley.im also keen to know where charlotte buckley/simmonds is on the 1841,and whether anyone can find henry on the 1851 and 1901,and james post 1871,many thanks,nel.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: charlotte and mary buckley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 15:55 BST (UK) »
sorry to bore everyone with this,ive been searching hard for my thomas streeting/elizabeth buckley on 1861/71 census and cant find anything that fits.ive tried substituting there daughter jane streetings(born 1862 birmingham) surname with buckley,presuming she was elizabeths,and theres a jane buckley born 1859,birmingham,an umbrella mender,living with brothers and mother mary born 1835,ireland,widow,hawker.given that charlotte buckley(simmonds) son henry was a hawker/umbrella mender,im wondering if thats significant.also,there son thomas was born dublin,1829.i realise im very much clutching at straws with a lot of this,but i cant think how im going to go about confirming or disproving it.does anyone know of any sites about the buckleys,or sites about possible irish traveller ancestry,any pointers much appreciated,nel.

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 12 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been having a dig around myself and have come up with a few things myself and hope someone may be able to expand a bit on the following.

I dont believe Charlotte Buckley ever married James Simmon(ds) as I have now come across their respective death entries on freebmd and following help from another RC, know their burial places:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,606275.0.html

Charlotte Buckley/Simmonds born abt 1789ish  in the 1841 census I did wonder whether she has put her name down as "Mary" for some reason and is residing with James and the children referred to above? Cold Harbor Square, St Mary Northgate, Canterbury.  There is however, a Charlotte Simmond aged 55 St Mildren parish, Charwoman solely residing no other family there.

Charlotte Simmonds/Buckley born abt 1829 Canterbury ref to in 1841 census :  Have found her in the 1851 Ramsgate census, servant (birth abt 1833 Canterbury).  There is a marriage between a Charlotte BUCKLEY and John Craycraft Thanet 1853 2a 884. 

831 Sep 23 1853 By: Banns
CRAYCRAFT John (19) Ba (Labourer) of Hawley St (S of) John (Marine Stone Dealer)
BUCKLEY Charlotte (20) Sp () of Bridge St (D of) James SIMMONS (Labourer)
Witnessed by: Geo Dixon, Maria Hollowday

John signed with an X and Charlotte signed her name having looked at the PR on FindMyPast.

I think this entry confirms that I have the right Charlotte.

The whole family are in the 1861 census, Margate but Charlotte  died 1866 Mar 10 Charlotte CRAYCRAFT 32 Margate
and John died 1867 Dec 9 John CRAYCRAFT 33 Margate

At the time of writing I haven't found their burials on FindMyPast and will post later regarding these if there is any further info.

No doubt the baptisms will also be found for the children of John Craycraft and Charlotte Buckley in Margate.

Would be interested to know what you think ....

ADDED : somehow I feel that this post needs to be on the Kent boards as I have alot of other info about this family to post and Im not sure it is relevant to this board? Should I start a new topic on the Kent boards please?

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 10:10 BST (UK) »
im wondering if James might have taken up with someone else called Mary on 1841,leaving his wife living alone elsewhere.Then by 1851 theyve had a reconciliation.Either way,it seems that James partner was a Buckley,and very likely connected to Elizabeth Buckley.Its just proving that link!
With regard to John and Charlotte Craycrafts family,Susannah(Susan) is on 1871/81 with her uncle Robert.I cant find Frederick until 1901/11 living in Yorkshire with wife and family.Harriets on 1871 with grandfather Robert.
There are 3 more orphaned Craycraft children in Thanet workhouse on 1871,all born Margate:

Walter George b1858
Emily b1862
Jemima b1865.

So youngest born a year before Charlottes death.I havent been able to link them yet,but a good chance they are Charlottes.

Just a bit more to contemplate.

Nel.

Offline AndrewJohn

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 October 14 20:36 BST (UK) »
nelwild - I'm not sure if you're still actively researching this aspect of family history, but I just thought I'd post that I am the great grandson of Jemima Craycraft mentioned in your post.

I have found that a John and Charlotte Craycraft had three children -  Susan, Emily and Jemima - christened on 10 July 1864 at the Church of Holy Trinity, Margate.

The family story is that Jemima, and as we now know two other siblings, were placed in the workhouse on the parents' death, whilst other children were placed with relatives.

Maybe we could compare notes if you read this?  Cheers, Andrew

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 October 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi AndrewJohn Welcome to RootsChat :)

Nelwild, saw that you logged in but not sure if you saw this new reply as there is a problem with your email address... Will sent you a pm for more information.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline George Brewer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
If anyone is doing Descendants of above I'm one born 1946