Author Topic: harrison armagh  (Read 11239 times)

Offline susie wong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
harrison armagh
« on: Wednesday 13 May 09 11:35 BST (UK) »
searching info on harrison's co armagh.

My grandfather john harrison b 1884
siblings james 1882, isaiah 1886 & thomas 1891

parents james/margaret nee marshall.
I know they went to scotland (greenock) but when???

John married elizabeth young in ireland

sue

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
Re: harrison armagh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
hi sue,
it would be hard to find an exact date for when the family went to scotland.the best you could do would be to find a rough timescale by finding where they lived during the 1901 and 1911 census. have you found them in either one in scotland yet?

i did find james and margarets marriage;james harrison married margaret marshall,19-jun-1882,in a church of ireland in portadown. so it looks like they left from portadown but doesn't help with when.

tony

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 15:41 BST (UK) »
this could be their marriage.

Record Type Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage 27 Jun 1908
Groom Name john HARRISON
Bride Name elizabeth davidson YOUNG
Church Whitehouse Presbyterian Church
Parish Carnmoney
Civil District Belfast
County Antrim

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline susie wong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi maryderry,

possibly marriage which i've seen but doesn't state mothers name only father which is correct, so not 100% sure as yet.

regards
sue

Offline susie wong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 May 09 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi TF13,

tried 1901 census but nothing came up, marriage is correct.
so asumme they came after 1901.

reagards
sue

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 June 13 20:41 BST (UK) »
I think somewhere you mentioned a Livingston connection to John Harrison, father of James.  I am also looking at Harrisons in that area and have come across something without enough details to know what is going on. 

Pierce Livingston, Jr of Ballydougan died in 1860 and mentions John Harrison Jr of Lisnaminty owes him money and also appoints John Harrison as executor.  Pierce says daughter Ann Jane married Joseph Davidson and is perhaps Joseph Davison married to Eliza (Ann or Jane) Livingston in records.  The other person who borrowed money from him is David England who may be the one with a Davison wife.  I think he loaned money to relatives. 

John Jr 's known children were James b abt 1858 and  Henry b abt 1854 baptized at Knocknamuckley where John d. 1885 @71 and wife Sarah d 1898 @81 are buried.  There is a fair chance this is your James.   Sarah appears to have moved off the farm after John's death as the land does not appear in her name. Possibly a death certificate could tell you whom she was living with.

The PRONI land records show John Jr name crossed off his land leaving John Sr.  However when a father died and a Jr had a son with the same name, Jr became Sr.  So I would carefully look at the records and civil death records. John Sr, was b 1787, married Margaret b 1796 and had Elizabeth b 1823, John Jr. and possibly Valentine b. abt 1823.

The other executor is George Somerville from my line and he, Pierce, and John,Jr Harrison appear to be farmers with probably sizable amounts of land and money.  You might look to see if the Davisons were related or if Scottish Harrisons had money at first. Livingstons at Seagoe were posted on-line, but i don't see a Harrison connection. 

The Henry Harrison who appears in Lisnamintry in the census is the illegitimate son of Margaret Malcomson whom she had by a Henry Harrison of Ballygargin, she claimed.  Her brother Joseph left him the home.  No idea which Henry is involved.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 June 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
theres a James Harrison with a wife Margaret as his widow on the calendar of wills and administrations in Aughnagurgan co Armagh death 1895,his widow is at 23 and 28 Aughnagurgan in 1901/1911 ages 60 and 73, there are children in their 20s and 30s living with her all single,but the children mentioned above are not mentioned,any conn ection?.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 June 13 00:43 BST (UK) »
I think that is Margaret Nesbitt.  She and James married in Monaghan in 1859.  James had father John and children Margaret Jane b 1875, Samuel b 1871,  Susan b 1875, Agnes b. 1877, Robert b 1872, Thomas b 1867, William b 1864, and James b 1880 and perhaps a few more. 

Offline susie wong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 June 13 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi KatC
Wow what a lot of info to take in.
As i dont have any info regarding my 2 x great granfather John Levingston Harrison i cannot help on that matter, i got  his name from  my great grandfather marriage cert (james Harrison) who married margaret Marshall in 1882 lurgan Co Armagh.

John Harrison b 1884 Ballyhannon Co Armagh(my grandfather), married a Elizabeth Davidson Young in 1908 Belfast, so i can see where you think there maybe a connection regarding Davidson.
They went to scotland (Port Glasgow/Greenock) as i found them on the 1911 census (scotland)