Author Topic: About RootsChat  (Read 3758 times)

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
About RootsChat
« on: Monday 21 February 05 22:39 GMT (UK) »
It has been on our “list of things to do” to tell you a bit about the caretakers of RootsChat.

Trystan and Sarah first began building the site in 2003, which mixed Trystan’s knowledge of Computers and Sarah’s love of Genealogy and History. (Trystan and Sarah are engaged as we speak, but watch this space!  :-*)

Both had great Ideas and both needed each other to create a starting point for ideas…it took about 12 months to build and was launched 31st December 2003.

What came along was lots of rootschatters, a group of interested lads and lasses with a little bit of knowledge to share and a thirst of knowledge and adventure. What followed very soon was a group of like-minded friends, many of which have now become Moderators.

Our moderators are very special people, they have shown outstanding qualities that have gone the extra mile for a few of you. We would be lost without them and they try their best to look after all your posts to give them the best opportunity for an answer  ;D.

Above all we believe that everyone is equal. What we all have to share, is our own special talents, be it knowledgeable on our hometown, running one-name study groups to being great with a Digital Camera everyone can help!  8)

If any of you reply to RootsChat, please be assured that it comes direct to real humans and is not just an automated response. We do try to handle them as soon as we can.

Now we have told you a bit about us, we want you to enjoy yourself with your research. We are always open to good ideas so don’t be shy.

If you have any problems, our door is always open…

Best of Luck with your Research!

Sarah and Trystan

Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: About RootsChat
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Sarah and Trystan!

It is great to know a little bit about you.  You have done a wonderful thing in starting Rootschat and we are all in your debt.  The Moderators and all the other helpful people are just excellent, too!

Many blessings for your caretaking of this site, and in particular for your life together, now and in the future!

Love,

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline jakky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Sarah and Trystan,

Well done, I for one would be lost without this site,

your help and all the great people on it,

If only the rest of the world could be as nice, what a special place it would be ;D

Jakky
Thomas.  Wigan Bolton & Fleetwood
Wilcox. Liverpool & Fleetwood.
Lamplough. Hull.
Hallam. Wigan & Bolton
Jordan. Hackney.
Burtonwood. Wigan,Bolton
All Census Look Up Transcriptions Are Crown Copyright.

Offline Lyn S

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that message - after the 'Admin' message that appeared yesterday, I was concerned that we might not be able to login again to the website.

I have received a tremendous amount of help and guidance from Listers - I've even managed to offer a few 'pearls of wisdom' myself here and there!

Long may it flourish!

Lyn S

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Is the future of the site at risk after yesterday's message?
I was really concerned as this site really is a godsend to me and I'd like to think I'd helped a few people with snippets (small as they may be)!
Alos, best wishes for you both and long live this website!!
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline legs11

• RootsChat Senior
  • my border collie Willow and her first litter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 10:49 GMT (UK) »
same here claudia, I feel the same about this site as many others.

I think we do forget that they are people on the other end of the computer and they do put in the hard yards for us and others.

I would also like to congratulate Trystan and Sarah on A) their engagement and hope they have a wonderful, joyous and happy life together
and B) on putting their heads and and both their loves together to create this wonderful site.

Congratulations again

legs11
PRICE, CURTIS, JONES, LUSH<br /><br />WARMINSTER

Offline kat2004

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Fred and Harry Miller 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I was guttted when I saw the notice yesterday, and would like to thank Tristan, Sarah and all the contributors for the time and effort they have taken.

I feel that not only is the Website a great source of information, knowledge and service, but its a community. Its a chance to share your hobby with like minded people who dont scorn the fact you have waited three weeks for a death certificate in anticipation, but sympathise because they know how it feels!

i live in a small town where there are no family history societies, or wealth of local information, and I dont know anyone locally who is is interested in genealogy, so I appreciate Rootschat so much. I only wish I had as much experience and knowledge as some as the people who have helped out so I could return the favour.

Miller family -Staffordshire, Leicestishire Cumberland,Pennysylvania.Auckland.
Hill family- Northumberland,Durham, Cumberland.
Woodward- Staffordshire.
Roberts- Flintshire, Cumberland
Fisher Cumberland, Lancashire
Taylor Cumberland, Lancashire,Durham

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Trystan and Sarah are engaged as we speak, but watch this space!

Hey you two - do I hear wedding bells ringing?   I do hope so!

Yesterday was awful and it was with some trepidation that I booted the machinery up this morning to see if there were any developments.   Elation quickly followed, together with immense relief that this wonderful site is up and running again!   Long may it continue.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I became a member in June last year, and it seems like yesterday,I still dont Know how I stumbled across this site, but are,nt I glad I did, the other sites hardly get a look in now,  strait to rootschat, do the quiz, then round the boards, Trystan and Sarah have been inspirational with this site,   {good job we got spell check for inspirational}  Good luck to both of you, and thank you ,nora T ;D
i am researching the timmis family salop. staffs, and cheshire, also the culverwell family, congleton cheshire,and staffs.also jervis, jarvis, staffs and wales,also reece, staffs and dudley