Author Topic: Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?  (Read 37685 times)

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?
« on: Friday 15 May 09 19:27 BST (UK) »
hi.........does anyone believe they have Scottish ancestors that fought on Charles II side at the Battle of Worcester 1651?

cheers
Sean brown
Scotland:Aberdeen:BROWN,COUTTS,CULLEN,TAYLOR
England:Gloucestershire:CAMERY,SHAIL,PERRYMAN
England:Woolwich:Plumstead:BROWN,MARKHAM,QUADLING
England:Gloucestershire:Stroud:HOGG,GARDNER,WRIGHT
England:Worcestershire:BROWN,LANNI(e), BRIDGES
Ireland:Dublin:(O')CONNOR,MULLEN,KANE

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean,
I do not have any ancestors from the battle but your post caught my eye.
I just goggled the Battle and it says 8,000 Scottish Prisoners were deported to
New England,Bermuda and the West Indies.
regards,Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 May 09 13:02 BST (UK) »
hi Billy

yes it was an overwhelming defeat for Charles II and his Scottish army. My post was to try and see if any Scots have researched their ancestors and found that some of them were at the battle....most were deported but some of the Scots taken prisoner must have remained in or around the town or the outskirts and maybe went on to have families there now.....just a thought....I live in Worcester and would be prepared to do some research if anyone thinks their ancestors were involved.
cheers
Sean

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 May 09 15:01 BST (UK) »
If you believe the lineage contained within The Christian Watt Papers, then one of my ancestors was there.

My greatx11 grandfather, Alexander Fraser (1604-93) (11th Lord Saltoun, 10th Laird of Philorth), fought at the battle. He was said to have been wounded and escaped thanks to the aid of his manservant who took him back to the safety of the North.

He would be the only ancestor I know of, assuming that the lineage is correct (and I have very little reason to doubt it).

Windsor87
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline pmackie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 October 09 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm a Mackie whose family has lived in and around Worcestershire since at least the 1770s, and possibly before, so have often wondered if we may be a leftover from the battle. Especially as so many Mackays/ Mackeys fought.    At least two Mackey/Mackies were deported to the new world but I wonder if any stayed on. I'm descended from Robert Mackie/ Mackey born Worcester c.1788, who is probably the son of Robert Mackey/ Mackie who lived in Worcester from the 1760s. He in turn is probably the son of John and Rachel Mackey who were living in Worcester c.1740. There is a Samuel Mackay s/o John and Betty christened in 1735 in Droitwich too. I've exhausted most parish registers, as did my grandfather before me. Part of the problem might be that if they were descended from the Covenanters they would have probably belonged to the Dissenting churches and the records for them aren't so good.
mackie, wadley, lane, moseley

Offline piobmohr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 November 09 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Sean,

Greetings from the old colonies. I have just discovered that I am a direct descendant of Robert Abernethy who was taken prisoner a Worcester. It seems that he was given a choice of the Tower or being transported to the colonies. He chose the colonies (Jamestown, VA.) Robert was my 8th great grandfather.

Russell Smith
Covington, GA
USA

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 January 10 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your input........keep in touch, The Battle of Worcester 1651 is a subject I love to reseach into

Cheers
Sean

Offline pambyard

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean,

My 8th great-grandfather, Robert MackClaflin or Mackclothlan (various spellings) was believed to have come to Massachusetts in 1652 as a result of being a Scottish prisoner of Cromwell. At first, I found this unbelievable, because his birth year is given as 1639, making him 12 years old during the battle, but I understand that some soldiers were this young. Here is a quote about his time after deportation, when he is believed to have worked off his indenture at the Lynn Iron Works and then married and purchased land in Wenham, Mass:

Some of these prisoners were indentured to the Lynn Iron Works, then the most important industrial enterprise in the country. Wenham is but a few miles from Lynn. The records show that on the same day that Robert Mackclothlan was admitted a townsman, Nov. 16, 1661, Edmund Bridges, who is known to have been connected with the Lynn Iron Works, was granted land at Wenham. The soldierly qualities of Robert are evidenced by his services under Sir Edmund Andros against the French and Indians. All known facts support the theory that Robert was one of Cromwell's Scotch prisoners. Full text of "Genealogy of the Claflin family : being a record of Robert Mackclothlan, of Wenham, Mass. and of his descendants, 1661-1898"  BY CHARLES HENRY WIGHT

After a rough start to his young life, Robert had at least 6 children, and now there are untold descendents throughout North America. I consider him one of my more interesting ancestors.

Pamela Byard

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi pambyard

Thank you for your input into the topic. It has added a little more history to a battle that was fought so long ago.

Cheers
Sean