Author Topic: Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?  (Read 28472 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?
« Reply #45 on: Friday 14 April 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
 Jack, there's a golf course where Westburn House stood, all that remains is an old stone doocot (dovecot). The lairds of Westburn were Hamilton's & a troop of horse would probably have been raised amongst the gentry.
The problem with DNA is that while it's a source back to Scotland for folks in the States it's not that common here. Should maybe be compulsory?  ;D

Skoosh.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 14 April 17 23:02 BST (UK) »
Great picture and comments ... I'm sure our friends here in Worcester will be most interested in what you have written .... thanks for contributing.
Scotland:Aberdeen:BROWN,COUTTS,CULLEN,TAYLOR
England:Gloucestershire:CAMERY,SHAIL,PERRYMAN
England:Woolwich:Plumstead:BROWN,MARKHAM,QUADLING
England:Gloucestershire:Stroud:HOGG,GARDNER,WRIGHT
England:Worcestershire:BROWN,LANNI(e), BRIDGES
Ireland:Dublin:(O')CONNOR,MULLEN,KANE

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jack Hamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 15 April 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
Sean, in one of life's ironies, I live in Worcester County, in the state of Massachusetts, worked in the City of Worcester here for about 12 years, and was a member of the Worcester Rotary Club when we hosted the Rotary Club from Worcester, UK back in the 1990s.  I used to live about 25 miles from the Historic Marker for David... but didn't know of its existence at the time.  I do need to make the drive up to see it this summer.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Senior
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 15 April 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
Sean, in one of life's ironies, I live in Worcester County, in the state of Massachusetts, worked in the City of Worcester here for about 12 years, and was a member of the Worcester Rotary Club when we hosted the Rotary Club from Worcester, UK back in the 1990s.  I used to live about 25 miles from the Historic Marker for David... but didn't know of its existence at the time.  I do need to make the drive up to see it this summer.
Jack that Marker is an absolutely wonderful memorial to your ancestor.
If it was me I'd wait until dark, replace it with a cardboard cut-out and take the marker home.
You know it makes sense  ;D
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 27 November 17 14:57 GMT (UK) »
The old road over the original Powick bridge is still there but parts of it now have been lost. This occurred when a partial ringroad was built to skirt around Worcester's westside
Scotland:Aberdeen:BROWN,COUTTS,CULLEN,TAYLOR
England:Gloucestershire:CAMERY,SHAIL,PERRYMAN
England:Woolwich:Plumstead:BROWN,MARKHAM,QUADLING
England:Gloucestershire:Stroud:HOGG,GARDNER,WRIGHT
England:Worcestershire:BROWN,LANNI(e), BRIDGES
Ireland:Dublin:(O')CONNOR,MULLEN,KANE